Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help to ID

MatGW

Hi, I've found this in plowed field in Italy with the metal detector,

I am new to metal detecting

I don't understand if it is a rock

Can you help me to identify it?
[attachment 330506 P_20160504_231832_HDR.jpg]
[attachment 330502 P_20160504_231950_HDR.jpg]
[attachment 330503 P_20160504_232052_HDR.jpg]
[attachment 330504 P_20160504_232434.jpg]
[attachment 330505 P_20160504_232510.jpg]

Thanks in advice

MatGW,
Hi and Welcome to the Forums. Its very hard to ID any specimen with just pictures. Its probably best if you could take it to a local rockhound/geology club or even a nearby university geology department for examination. If you want us to take a stab at it tho, here's some things that would help:
- what did your metal detector read
- how soft/hard is it (what will scratch it, or what will it scratch)
- in what environment was it found (is the field in the lowland floodplains, in the mtns, etc...
- what were the nearby rocks (if any)
- I am assuming it is fairly dense/heavy for its size

My first impression is that it is some manmade metal slag, probably lead(easily tested via hardness). But I really need more info to go on.

An additional thought. If it is slag or something similar, you could have an old relic as well. Maybe a local detecting or history club/organization could help you.