Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with a coin identification

FrankG

OK... time for a quiz...
Can anyone possibly recognize anything about this coin. It's quite worn and leaves me clueless. Sorry for the poor presentation but it's as clean as I could get it and this was the best photo I was able to get which showed remaining detail. The coin is about the size of a half dollar and looks like copper/possibly bronze?

The tail side appears to be a woman sitting down on something with her arms outstretched and holding someting. She is facing to her right with her left leg outstretched and right leg folded back.

I dug this out of a soccer field a few days ago in Holliston Massachusets. I guess it was a good detecting day because I also dug a nickel (an 1883 Liberty Head (V) with cents). The Nickel is in tough shape for wear but the date and head side are at least quite readable.

Thanks!

[attachment 22931 mysterycoinphotoa.jpg]

Here's an example -
Yours would date somewhere between 1727 & 1760 (Years of George II's reign).
Toby

Thanks Toby,

That sure looks like a very close match to me.

Interestingly enough, I just read on the web that the Brits shipped 800,000 King George II Half Pennys (all dated 1749) to Massachusetts to help pay the colonists for their assistance in the Lewisburg Expedition.