Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with bullet ID

Jerry-Wi

My wife found this bullet with her Ace 250 yesterday. It weighs 250 grains, is .503 diameter and has what appears to be teeth marks on the bottom. I do not know much about ammo but this looks like a muzzle loaded bullet that was dropped and not fired. Spent last night and most of today so far searching the web but have not been able to come up with a match or any further information on it. Does anyone know the specifics on what this may be?

Thanks for looking

Jerry

Jerry

By the dimensions you furnished it looks to me to be a standard yet short version of a 50 caliber 2 grease groove lead cast maxi-ball to me. Its about as light at 250 gr that you can find in 50 caliber. Unless you cleaned it up it doesn't look to have been laying around the woods too long.

HH
QH

Thanks QH, I have found a couple of pictures on line that are very close but there is always some little detail that is off. Including "cast maxi-ball" in my search has provided some additional info. Sometimes it is just as much researching a find as it is finding it.

Thanks for the help

Jerry

Jerry, what you have is a sharps 50 cal< it is not a muzzle loader but fired from shell casing. most likely fired from sharps carbine which were converted after civil war 1866-1870.I own and shoot just about every type sharps Ive shot in tournaments up to 1600 yards.The head your wife found is indeed a light one.HH Wayne

I don't think its a Sharps bullet due to the .503 diameter of Jerry's bullett.

50 Caliber Sharps bullet diameters

.50-70 Musket (.50 Government) used .515" diameter bullets
.50-90 Sharps used .509" diameter bullets
50-100 Sharps used .509" diameter bullets
50-110 Sharps used .509" diameter bullets
50-140 Sharps used .509" diameter bullets

Would the fact that the back end of this bullet is square to long axis have any significance on if it was muzzle loaded or in a brass casing? I notice that the civil war era bullets were hollowed at the back end so they would expand in the barrel.

I did find one picture that was identical except that it had one more groove and was heavier. I will see if I can find that one again and post it for a reference point.

I used to do a lot if shooting but did not get into reloading except for trap shooting.

Jerry

I know this is the wrong caliber, but your bullet may be modern .50 cal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-45-CAL-160gr-ROUNDED-FLAT-NOSE-BULLET-MOLD-90570-/150663130374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231438ed06#ht_1710wt_1396

HH,

GoGoGopher said:
I know this is the wrong caliber, but your bullet may be modern .50 cal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-45-CAL-160gr-ROUNDED-FLAT-NOSE-BULLET-MOLD-90570-/150663130374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231438ed06#ht_1710wt_1396

HH,

Lee does make a two cavity mold that casts a bullet that is identical except for the number of rings shown. This could be that they are just showing an example because they have many calibers listed. The conical top is the correct shape but has one too many rings.

The table on this site shows a 50 caliber, 250 grain mold. It is the Lee 0190-393 Everything matches except they just show caliber but not actual diameter.

I need a bullets for dummies guide :)

http://muzzleloadingandmore.com/products/accessories/molds_round_balls/index.htm
You have to scroll down a little past the ball molds.

Thanks for your help. Every tidbit helps look a little further.

Jerry

Check with the NRA or Shooting USA. Whatever it is, it looks deadly. I remember some character in the past and I don't remember if he was a comedian or a drill instructor and he asked: You know what really kills you and when everyone said no, we don't know. He said: A bullet in the head and laughed. He was right of course, but I hope I never have the experience.

as I( stated earlier Montana lead bullets makes a 50 caliber at 503 dia I know cause I load my own.HH Wayne

dabbie1 said:
as I( stated earlier Montana lead bullets makes a 50 caliber at 503 dia I know cause I load my own.HH Wayne

Thanks Wayne, that is good enough for me. It has been fun doing a bit of research on something that I know little about.

Interesting find. It does make me wonder how it came to be at a public school playground.

Jerry

Jerry-Wi said:
dabbie1 said:

Thanks Wayne, that is good enough for me. It has been fun doing a bit of research on something that I know little about.

Interesting find. It does make me wonder how it came to be at a public school playground.

Jerry

There's all kinds of bullets and interesting tidbits to be found in tot lots. Children(especially young boys)bring things that they find (at home and elsewhere) to show off to their friends and classmates. As the kids swing, jump and play in the playground, these objects invariably fall out of the kids pockets and get lost in the ground at the tot lot awaiting discovery by the detectorist.:detecting: