Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help With Coil Selection For V3i

jimz49

Recently bought a V3i that came with some larger coils, but no smaller ones. I'm looking for a coil that will do well in moderate trash and still have decent coverage. I've been looking at the Whites 6x10, Detech 4.5x7 or the SEF 8x6. I currently have the 9" Spider, D2, Super 12 and 13 Ultimate. Based upon what I have and what I'm looking at, which coil should I get and which coil(s) should I let go? If you have other coil suggestions that are different than the ones I'm looking at, I should would like to hear about them too.

Howdy jimz49--

Congratulations on your V3i purchase!
I have ALL of the Whites coils for the V from the 4x6 up to the 13" Ultimate plus the 14" DD coil that works fine on my V3i. I can't comment on the 4.5X 7 or the SEF 8x6 - I stay with Whites coils mainly because of White's stellar reputation for service. If one of their coils is defective or goes bad from extensive use, it is replaced in a hassle free manor. With that being said, I believe that the 6x10 would serve your needs to a T. I mainly hunt vacant lots - old home sites and find that the 6x10 gives good coverage, good depth and target separation. I've also used it at hard-hit old parks in Niagara Falls N.Y. and did very well - found my share of deep silver with that coil. For very trashy sites you can't beat the 4x6! Sometimes less is MORE. In heavy trash the 4x6 can punch deep and the target separation is unbeatable. At a site that was an "after hours bar" that had been demolished - the trash was extremely heavy - wine screw caps, bottle caps, aluminum trash and pull tabs, using the 4x6 I was able to pull 20+ mercs a few Walking liberty halves all in the 6-7 inch range. The 4x6 is a coil that you might consider adding to your arsenal. But if I could only have one coil, it would be the 6x10. I hope that this gives you some food for thought, Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Blind Squirrel. I was leaning toward the 6x10, but wasn't sure about the depth. Maybe, I should add the 4x6 as well and have a full arsenal of coils. Do you see any of the coils I have as too similar to another, and possibly letting it go?

The 6x10 is a good choice for a mid-size coil. I have both the 4x6 and the 5.3 for extreme trash. For me the 4x6 works better close to metal fences and metal poles. As crazy as it sounds I know a person that hunts 100% with the 5.3 even if the area has light trash. He has the 6x10 and D2 in his arsenal.

Do you think the 5.3 is as deep, deeper, or not as deep as the 4x6?

Started looking at the 6x10 and 4x6 coils and have a question.....how can you tell which coils are V rated?

Howdy jimz49--

The V rated coils have a V near the nut that connects the lower rod to the coil.

I believe that if I wanted to sell one of the coils that you listed it would be a toss-up between the 12" and the Ultimate. They are both good coils. I would suggest that you try them both and see which one you like better. They are both good coils for relic hunting and hunting parks. I wouldn't use either one at vacant lots or urban home sites which tend to be trashy. Good luck with your decision. It should be a lot of fun testing each of your coils at various sites. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

IMO the 5.3 goes deeper than the 4x6. I should have added in to the earlier statement, that the 4x6 is better around metal poles and metal fences and at all other places the 5.3 is better. Since I have both coils, if I had to make a choice to only have 1, it would be the 5.3.

Jimz49,

Regarding the question of 4x6 vs 5.3, I guess that it is a question of what type of sites that you are intending to hunt with a small coil. I've made some of my best finds with the 5.3. It is an excellent coil. In clean ground with similar settings the 5.3 may get a half inch more depth than the 4x6. But in heavy trash the 4x6, from my experience, gets more effective depth. Again, depending on what type of sites and your hunting strategy for a given hunt, the 4x6 might be the answer. Surprisingly, I've had good success using the 4x6 at my hard-hit relic site in west Texas. The 4x6 can get into tight places like between the bases of mesquite trees or other overgrowth where a larger coil just wont go.That strategy has put quite a few Civil War eagle buttons and other relics in my goody bag. IMHO, if you get the 6x10 and still want a small coil for trashy sites or hard to get at tight places the 4x6 should get serious consideration. Between the 4x6, 6x10 and a couple of your larger coils you would have a coil suited for most hunting opportunities. Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions hahahah. Best of luck with whatever choice(s) you make and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I think I'm going to get the 6x10 to start, and decide later if I want or need something smaller. I appreciate all the suggestions and help. thank you!!

The 8x6 SEF works best compared to the 6x10 Whites. Depths to 9 inches, where the 6x10 has gotten me hardly 7 at best. I'm sold on the SEF

Except for the coverage, the Whtes 4x6 rivals the Eclipse coil in depth, with stellar seperation. I never liked the 6x10 but worked with it for as long time when I first got started.

my favorite coil is the Detech 12x15. Unbelievable separation, depth and coverage. Also use the 4x6 Whites for trash areas

6x10 is great I have 2 one on a mxt and one on my v3i. It's a great coil but you will get extremely bouncy vdi numbers with it for some reason. Another tip when you pinpoint add 2 inches to the depth and if it says 3 inches it means 1.

I too have all the coils for my V3i and I agree the White's 6x10 would be the best mid-sized coil to get. It's got good coverage and good separation, so it can be used effectively in all but the trashiest places. It's also very stable and plays very well with the V3i. I also have the Detech 8x6, and it's also a great coil, but its only advantage over the White's 6x10 is depth. Yes the Detech is noticeably deeper, but its a trickier coil to use, falses more, and has less coverage. The 6x10 is almost like a bigfoot coil: large sweep coverage area with mediocre depth capability. Still, overall, hands down I'd recommend the 6x10. And as the others have said, for the trashiest sites, the 5.3 coil is great. Oh, and one more thing, don't count out the 9" Spider coil, it's a great general purpose coil on the V3i and what I usually start my hunts with. So give yours a good try, I think you'll like it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement, I bought the 6x10 and will be giving it a good try when it arrives. While I was making my mind up about the 6x10, I was also doing some research for coils that work with the V3i. I was amazed at the number of coils out there that will work. Going forward, my hope as I learn the V3i and navigate through the list of accessories is to pick the best for the situation, and hopefully it will be a semi cost effective choice too.

Wayfarer said:
I too have all the coils for my V3i and I agree the White's 6x10 would be the best mid-sized coil to get. It's got good coverage and good separation, so it can be used effectively in all but the trashiest places. It's also very stable and plays very well with the V3i. I also have the Detech 8x6, and it's also a great coil, but its only advantage over the White's 6x10 is depth. Yes the Detech is noticeably deeper, but its a trickier coil to use, falses more, and has less coverage. The 6x10 is almost like a bigfoot coil: large sweep coverage area with mediocre depth capability. Still, overall, hands down I'd recommend the 6x10. And as the others have said, for the trashiest sites, the 5.3 coil is great. Oh, and one more thing, don't count out the 9" Spider coil, it's a great general purpose coil on the V3i and what I usually start my hunts with. So give yours a good try, I think you'll like it.

[size=large]Hi Wayfarer,
I live in Michigan which has a lot of sandy soil in the area I live in.

Do you know roughly how deep the 6 x 10 goes?[/size]