Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with CZ-3d please.

dmgadway

I seem to be having a little trouble with my sensativity setting on my cz-3d. Any higher than three and it falses like crazy! I can ground balance it without any problems using either method in the manual. I find alot of targets with the setting of 3 but I don't get any deep targets. When I turn the sensativity up higher I can hear repeatable faint targets but also get alot of falsing which drives me crazy. I have a tesoro cibola that I started detecting with and I can run it's sensativity all the way to 10 without any chatter. Air testing also shows a big difference in depth when turning up the sensativity on the cz3d. Any ideas? Also, I can hold the coil motionless in the air and still get the falsing. Thak you.

If it don't fix it send it back to Fisher and get it fixed. Make sure you G/B it correctly. Try the G/B in both modes. Enhance and also in Salt. Hope this helps. Jerry aka Tinfoil

but it might be off just enough to cause this problem. Also Fishers are notoriuos for falsing if you run your sensitivity higher then 4 and the CZ3d is no exception. Also the 3d doesn't airtest very well at all, it needs the dirt matrix for it to properly function. BUT, if you 3d falses at sensitivity of 4, even when the coil is not moving in the DESCRIMINATION mode then you might have a bad coil and need to send it in to Fisher for repair. Call Fisher and speak to one of their Tech's they would be able to help you I'm sure.

HH,
Mike

I'm begining to think it may be some sort of electrical interference. I tried my 10.5 inch coil and I still had the problem. In the all metal mode, with the sensativity high enough to hear the threshold, I could hear a very distinct sound pattern in certain areas as I moved around my yard. It was very distinct, not what the threshold normally sounds like. Almost a rythmic clicking sound.When I heard it I switched back to the discr. mode and it would false very badly, even after ground balancing it again. As soon as I lowered the sensativity to three, it would stop. Maybe it will be better at different sites away from houses.

I was thinking that when I first saw your post.

Look around your area. Are there any power transformers visible, either the kind mounted on the ground, or up on poles? Are there any power lines nearby? Those are the usual culprits.

If you still can't find the source, ask around your neighbors to see if they have an electric dog fence installed.

HH from Allen in MI

As now I think you have a interference problem or maybe a shielding problem inside the detector since you are getting the same results with the 10.5" coil. Go find yourself a park or a ball field away from power lines and see what it is doing there. I thought you were having the problem everywhere you were going. I have a lot of R/F in my yard as there is a big transformer and big power lines not 30 feet from me along with two air conditioners running some time and one of them runs most of the time. However my Fishers and Shadow X5, Golden MM, Xterra70, do great on my test garden even with all the R/F going on. That is why you might have a shielding problem inside of the box. My DFX and Expll just can't cut it, due to the r/f interference. It is bad here especially when both my air conditioners are running it just adds to the R/F . My Excal does not do well on the buried targets either and when you put it in auto it will not even work. You have to go to manual. Now my Xterra 70 does better then the DFX and the Explorer ll. This was just to show you the difference in the different machines and how R/F effect them. So get in the truck and go some where and see how it is doing. Also stand beside your truck with the motor running and see if you have any r/f with the machine, I don't have a problem with the R/F with my Fishers (CZ70,CZ6A,CZ3D,IDEdge, or my CZ20) that is why I am thinking of the shield problem inside your box. A bad ground inside the box will do it too. Don't know if this helps. Just let us know what you find out. Later Jerry aka Tinfoil.

Reading all the posts, try it in several areas and if it continues time for a trip back to Fisher..One bad solder joint weakened component or the most obvious a faulty sensitivity switch and its time for the tech's to check out...

Thanks for all the ideas. I will try to find some out of the way areas without the powerlines etc. If that dosn't work i'll call fisher. I have a new 1270 coming in a day or two so I will still have one to play with while the 3d is away if needed.

I spent an hour after work today in my yard. I moved as far away from the house and powerlines as I could and the falsing was reduced dramatically. I only occasionaly got beeps when the coil was not moving. Now for the other question I have which may also be part of my problem. I still seemed to get ghost beeps when moving in certain areas. On the cz-3d, My ground balance usually ends up at about 3 to 4 on the dial for my area. Would this mean heavy mineralized ground? Could that be the reason for those faint tones as I move the coil?(There not repeatable at all.) All in All, I think the rf interference was the big problem.

Where is the sensitivity and are you keeping the coil flat to the ground and not turning it up at the end of your sweep. You got to tell us where you have the machine set at so we can help. :D: OK. Jerry aka Tinfoil

Tinfoil is right, the 3D performs best with a fairly slow and steady swing with the coil kept flat to the ground.

If you start swinging it like a pendelum and picking it up off the ground at the end of each sweep it will false or it you swing too fast, it has a tendency to false. You really have to watch sweep speed with the small 5" coil, easy to swing it too fast.

Hope this info helps,

Keith

I'm in the discriminate mode but I leave it at 0 or no discrimination.
I like to hear all the targets, because the iron tends to false to a high tone at times. I do try to sweep rather slowly and I keep the coil flat all around. I love the detector, I just found my first really old coin, a 1857 canadian half penny, last week with it, so I know its very capable. Moving further from the powerlines,house,etc helped immensely with the falsing. I actually had the sensativity as high as seven with very little "interference". I could also hear faint repeatable targets which was very impressive because they sounded quite deep! Don't get me wrong I don't want to run the sensativity as high as seven all the time! It gets more difficult to pinpoint at that level. But Three on the sens. dosn't seem to give me the nice depth that it shows at higher settings. The coil cable is also wrapped neatly so it dosn't flop around above the coil.

I run in Enhanced all the time and flip to Salt sometimes just to check the difference in the old/modern places I hunt and you have to get used to that. I run 0 dis. all the time. If you don't you can't tell if it is a iron target. I run the vol at 4 most of the time as I want to hear if it is a deep target. At 4 a target that is deep will sound weak. Say I get a weak target the very first thing I do is pinpoint the target. Run the vol up to 10 so now that deep target is now a loud one. Make sure it is not a Iron high tone beep. By pinpointing the target you will know. Also read Mike's CZ page like I said earlier in a previous post on Iron targets. If it beeps good target pinpoints in same spot, is deep and I don't even care if it bounces around I dig it. That leaves no doubt. I think since you are running it hot at Sen. 7 you are getting what I call a short quick high tone false. After you have used the CZ's for a while you will learn the difference between the quick high tone falsies from the good deep targets. It just takes time. Don't run your machine at 7 for some time till you learn what it is doing and you learn all the little thing you have to know to be able to run one that hot. You will learn in what areas you can run hot and which areas you can't run hot just buy the falsies your CZ will make. For now be satisfied to run at 5 and you will be dig the targets at 10+" and that will be good till you put some time on it. I put a min. of at least 200 hours on any machine before I start to make any decisions on whether I dislike a machine or not. Whether it will stay or go. Once you learn to hunt in the iron (BTW GET A 5" COIL) and trashy places you will just :ROL: at these guys that :cry: about how bad the Fishers love the iron. Hell 90% of the other detectors won't even hear the target that the fishers will hear when you are using them coil for coil. I mean like 8"coil for 8" coil. The 8" coil will out preform most of the 10" coil machines anyway. BTW even though you are still a distance away from your interference you still are probley still getting some bad Harmonics of the interference you were getting before. With all the problems you are having with interference I say you are running to hot for the area you are in so turn the machine down to say 5 and 6 if possible. Like I said you have to learn your machine then start messing with the Sen.. Hope this helped some. HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

My 3D works the same way yours is. Using the 8,10 or 12 inch coils the sen can go no higher then 3 or 4 depending on ground. most of the time its on 3. I was told thats normal, from the person that made it. If I run across the email I will sent it. Providing its OK with some people.
Thank you
Tom Spencer

speed. A well controlled slow sweep is absolutely necessary when hunting around iron with CZ's. 90% of iron falses will be eliminated and good signals will boom in.

Tom

I also run in enhanced and I have dug very little iron with this detector. I watched nasa Toms video as soon as I got it and know how iron can false to a high tone. I do get the occasional bent nail, but that can happen to any detector. I really like how it picks out the non ferrous items. In old areas I dig all the mid and deep foil tone and have found some neat things. all in all it's a great machine. I still may contact fisher to see if I can better shield it from the rf interference. Thanks for all the ggood advice.:detecting:

Even with sensitivity at 3 this detector will pull coins from 9+ inches. The sensitivity on Fishers from my perspective is super hot. Most detectors won't pull coins that deep maxed out. Make sure when you ground balance the detector there is no metal in the ground or within a coupla feet around your perimeter. Also I always balanced mine slightly negative. When you start bobbing the coil up and down to set it up set sensitivity to 9 instead of 10 and begin bobbing. Lower the coil to the ground while moving the ground balance control until you get an even sound when going up or down. When balancing beginning with 9 sensitivity you will gain a better ground balance. Also don't forget to set the detector in the autotune mode before ground balancing. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps.

If I ground balance at 9 I can't even use the discriminate mode because it is constantly falsing when I switch over to disc. To use at 3-4 on the sensativity, I have to use the push button ground balance method, because you can't really hear the threshold.

and once you get it GB'ed, just drop the Sens. to where the unit is stable. You only really run into trouble when you GB with the Sens. at a lower setting, then when you're hunting, bump the Sens. up higher.

HH from Allen in MI