Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with flat button ID please - incuse number 7, 13 mm dia. - is it military/militia

Hi everyone,
Found this in button in SW PA about 200 yards from a site where I found a bunch of colonial flat/dandy/tombac buttons, coins going from very early 1800 large cents on back to a NJ copper and some KG II half pennies as well as a Frog-Legged Eagle pewter military button from Gen. Anthony Wayne's Legion (in poor condition). I believe it is brass (although could be brass coating on top of pewter?), one piece, no back marking, 13 mm in diameter so I guess a small cuff button, has a pretty prominent incuse "7" on it. I'm guessing it's military rather than civilian because of the number 7, but that's just a guess. I have found some reference to a tavern that was operating at the time of the War of 1812 and I suspect I am on that site, although no stone foundation. Don't know if there's potentially any ties to the Wayne's Legion button or not, as they were found at least 150 yards apart from each other. In War of 1812 this area had a road from the arsenal at Pittsburgh going up to where Comm. Perry was building his fleet at Presque Isle in what is now Erie, PA... this site is adjacent to that road. I'm guessing this button is somewhere between Rev. War and War of 1812, but I suppose I couldn't exclude French or British too, although I doubt this dates back to the French & Indian War. I really have no clue. Maybe militia instead of "regular" regiment? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 143