Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with ID of an old pin ?

FrankG

[attachment 26501 LapelPin192905-08-06.jpg]

I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on this old pin the 250 found for me today. I'm guessing that the language might be russian. Above the 1929r date, it looks like possibly an aircraft symbol.

I'd like to know what the writing says.

Thanks

Well I typed "russia 1929 airplane" into the old search engine and this site came up:

http://www.heretical.com/miscella/rstofame.html

Are you maybe in the Vancouver area, and this was a commemorative for the flight?

Ken

Thanks Ace250,

No Vancouver area here. This cam from Massachusetts about 25 miles West of Boston.

That's an interesting page but I can't say there is any obvious link to what I found. In fact, I'm not even sure the language on the pin is Russian, I was just guessing.

Well I typed "russia 1929 airplane" into the old search engine and this site came up:

http://www.heretical.com/miscella/rstofame.html

Are you maybe in the Vancouver area, and this was a commemorative for the flight?

Ken

Well, I was able to get in touch with a Russian Person who gave me the following information.

Subject: RE: Any idea what this lapel pin says?

The first flight between Syktyvkar and Archangelsk.

SYKTYVKAR [Syktyvkar], city (1989 pop. 232,000), capital of Komi Republic, NW European Russia, a port on the Sysola River near its entry into the Vychegda. Lumbering and the manufacture of wood products are the chief industries. Near Syktyvkar, on the Vychegda, is one of Russia's largest woodworking complexes. A settlement existed on the site of Syktyvkar by the late 16th cent. During the 17th and 18th cent. there was a flourishing grain and fur trade. The city, a center of Russian colonization in the late 18th and early 19th cent., was called Ust-Sysolsk until 1930.

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2006 Columbia University Press

ARKHANGELSK [Archangelsk] or Archangel, city (1990 est. 418,000), NW European Russia, on the Northern Dvina near its mouth at the White Sea. Although icebound much of the year, it is a leading Russian port and can generally be made usable by icebreakers. Timber and wood products make up the bulk of the exports. The city has factories producing pulp and paper, turpentine, resin, cellulose, building materials, and prefabricated houses. Fishing and shipbuilding are also major industries. It is the terminus of both the Northern Sea Route and the Baltic-White Sea Canal, which was built by slave labor. Once the site of a Norse settlement, the city was founded (1584) as Novo-Kholmogory; it was renamed (1613) for the monastery of the Archangel Michael (which still stands). Arkhangelsk was Russia's principal port until the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703; it regained importance after the rail line to Moscow was completed in 1898. A supply port during World War I, Arkhangelsk was occupied from 1918 to 1920 by Allied forces (including Americans) and by the White Army; it served as their base for unsuccessful campaigns against the Bolsheviks. During World War II, U.S. and British shipments landed at Arkhangelsk. The city has a maritime school (1771), a regional museum (1859), and institutes of forestry and medicine.

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2006 Columbia University Press