Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with my new AT Pro

I have a new AT Pro and I am trying to learn it.

Off the metal poles I get a high audio signal, pretty much a coin signal, followed by an overload signal if I push the point.
This is the opposite of what I need.
I need steel poles to sound off with a low tone or a grunt, followed by an overload signal if I push the point.

How do I adjust this machine to sound off low tone on iron and steel?

Thanks

I have no idea what you mean by metal poles, or "push the point" but try pro mode.. iron mode on..
Better yet, read the manual and go to the Garrett web site, there are videos on how to set up and use the AT Pro

On large metal objects, you often get a high tone. Metal detectors are tuned to get the most accuracy on coin sized objects. You can guesstimate a target's size by:

A) Raise the coil above the target while still swinging the coil. If you get up to say, 2 feet with a strong signal, it is definitely a very large target.
B) Same situation, only test laterally. Move the coil away from a target, monitoring the distance. After 2 feet and still a strong target, probably junk.

To get away from the overload signal, try moving the coil away, off to the side of the target. Now, push your pinpoint button and see if it makes a difference. You can also de-tune (shrink the size of a target) by holding the coil stationary over the target, let go and reapply the pinpoint button, swing again. Repeat if necessary! Good luck.:)

I assume you are referring to metal poles used in playground equipment, i.e., tot lots. One way is to use a smaller coil to get a bit closer to the metal. Also, try turning the sen down, way down. Good luck! HH jim tn

^^^^^^^All of the above ^^^^^^^

Steel poles will not give an Iron grunt on the AT Pro or most detectors. I am thinking by point you mean pinpoint .either way you will not get an Iron grunt on steel poles . if you want to locate coin size targets close to poles and fences you need to get a smaller coil like was stated and reduce the sensitivity to get closer to the poles

coherent said:
I have no idea what you mean by metal poles

Here are some examples of metal poles.

The blue components in this picture are a good example of metal poles.
Basically fabricated from low carbon steel tubing.

33212207392_2cfde0c8de_z.jpg

In this picture the vertical tubes, painted green, support the play equipment and a sun shade,
good example of metal poles.

33327096866_451fed7945_z.jpg

Here metal poles are used to support a Volleyball net at the beach.

24298286548_967255ef63_z.jpg

coherent said:
or "push the point"

That is when you just get right up next to a metal pole, steel steps, and so forth.
Some machines will signal "overload" at that point.
Sounds like circus music.

My Euro Sabre for example. Gives low tones on ferrous targets and grunts when they are fair sized.
Push the point, ie; get right up on the target,..... "overload signal".

Which all makes sense.

coherent said:
but try pro mode.. iron mode on..

I was using Pro Coin mode, Iron audio both on and off.

coherent said:
Better yet, read the manual and go to the Garrett web site, there are videos on how to set up and use the AT Pro

Yes, I read the manual, watched the Garrett video.......
In the manual, and in the video, the claim was, "low tone on iron".
Yet, in the field, get near any of the metal poles or steel structure, the tone is "high", sounds like the coin tone.

When you hunt around metal poles and steel structures as much as I do, a machine that sounds off with a low tone
on metal poles and the like, but sounds off high on coin type targets is a blessing.

I think I see the problem here.........

You guys think I just started metal detecting, and this is my first machine.

This is year 32 for me.

Here is a picture of "some", not all of my machines......

33919365124_b2f6bcdc57_c.jpg

Small Coils?

I have coils in every size down to 1", in 5.5Khz and 15Khz.

33178621164_72af1c5652_z.jpg

May as well touch on "Co-Axial" coils.
I studied Co-axial coils for 5 years.
Garrett, Fisher, White's, C & G, ..... I have Co-axial coils for all of them, down to the 3"-4" size.
2Khz, 4.1Khz, 5.5Khz, 6.59Khz, and 15Khz.

Including this gem........

38103414022_2af6902f89_z.jpg

38135104181_0fcbec1344.jpg

A 6" Applied Creativity" Co-Axial coil on a modded White's Classic ID.

I have put in more, research, time, money, and testing, on the subject of working near poles
than anyone else I know of, or ever heard of.

My question was.........

The AT Pro claims to give a low tone on iron, (ferrous), targets.
I notice that large iron, like a metal pole, causes the machine to give a "high" tone.
The high tone sounds just like the high tone of a coin.

"Is there a setting that will make the machine sound off with a low tone when ever it encounters iron?"

Not low on the small iron and high on the big iron.
Low tone on iron across the board.

Well....

Some things to consider are;

So called 'steel' fence posts, playground equipment, etc. ARE NOT typically made of pure ferrous steel.

They are usually a galvanized steel or in some cases alloys of steel and other metals.

Galvanized posts can be coated with a variety of things. Typically zinc or manganese type coatings.

Much of the playground equipment is various alloys of steel and other metals, galvanized steel, or aluminum.

Most of the above types of so called 'steel' posts or tubes will give mid to high tones because of their true composition, coatings, and size.

I have yet to use a machine that wouldn't scream on playground equipment. The only thing I've found that works is to go with a small coil and lower your sensitivity way down.