Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with my SEF Coil

I posted the VDI issue last week, but I tried something else today. I changed to 22.5KHz and I noticed that the discriminate channel does not pick up silver or clad. All metal wortks fine.

Can another SEF user help me out with this? If the SEF is not "V" rated, this may be normal being outside of the range(?).

The SEF is not V rated. None of them are. They run a higher signal percentage in 3 frequency because of the 22.5 frequency. In single frequency 2.5 and 7.5 it runs fine. The purpose of V rated coils is to contend with the high frequency. I didn't even waste my time trying to run single frequency 22.5.

By the way, if you know someone with an M6, MXT, or DFX try it on those detectors. It will probably work just great.

Neil in West Jersey said:
I posted the VDI issue last week, but I tried something else today. I changed to 22.5KHz and I noticed that the discriminate channel does not pick up silver or clad. All metal wortks fine.

Can another SEF user help me out with this? If the SEF is not "V" rated, this may be normal being outside of the range(?).

Yep.... What Rob said. I sent mine back to Kelly Co, they swore to me it would work fine, they honored a complete refund. If I ran 3 frequency it was fine but if I tried to put the juice down running single 22.5 it would go bonkers. This is no good when trying to find gold.

I was hunting this evening with my 10x12 coil and I just happened to notice that when I got a quarter hit that only the 7.5 and the 2.5 freqs. were showing green lines. I thought that was really strange, so I switched over to single freqs. and tried all three one at a time and found out that the 22.5 doesn't read the quarter at all.
I've only had the coil a couple of weeks and only used it twice and now I'm wondering if the coil is bad also. I did notice Quarters read higher sometimes and now I'll have to test all the different coins to see how they read.
I bought the sef coil when it was on sale and the ad on findmall said it was for the V-3. Now I'm wondering if this is normal or if I got a bad coil.

Ed

It is normal for the SEF coil. It works on the V3i, it just doesn't work as well as a V nulled coil in 3 frequency. By that I mean it has to be run at lower RX. You won't find it said anywhere in their ad that it is V nulled. I've got one and it will work perfect in 2.5 and 7.5 single frequency.

If you ran the same coil on the detectors with a high frequency of 12 or 15 it would work great. You don't have a bad coil.

White

Rob (IL) said:
The SEF is not V rated. None of them are. They run a higher signal percentage in 3 frequency because of the 22.5 frequency. In single frequency 2.5 and 7.5 it runs fine. The purpose of V rated coils is to contend with the high frequency. I didn't even waste my time trying to run single frequency 22.5.

By the way, if you know someone with an M6, MXT, or DFX try it on those detectors. It will probably work just great.

I can't complain about the coil other than it won't hit high conductive targets in 22.5KHz. It works like a charm on low conductivity targets and also in Best Data. It is also is a bit quieter for me than the D2 and I can generally run it at higher gains as long as my TX Boost is off. It must have been the way it is from the start and I just never noticed.

The SEF is seeing the quarter in 22.5, but it elevated to the point that it is wrapping on you. As stated, this is a normal for a non v-rated coil. Along with issues in Single frequency 22.5 mode you will find that Best Data is problematic at best. Correlate runs great as long as you allow for wrap. In general I have found the SEF coil (10x12") to run deeper than the D2, even at the lower required sensitivity settings. I still use the D2 however due to better results during pin pointing with frequency response. Single frequency 2.5 and 7.5 are great on the SEF.

CyberSage said:
The SEF is seeing the quarter in 22.5, but it elevated to the point that it is wrapping on you. As stated, this is a normal for a non v-rated coil. Along with issues in Single frequency 22.5 mode you will find that Best Data is problematic at best. Correlate runs great as long as you allow for wrap. In general I have found the SEF coil (10x12") to run deeper than the D2, even at the lower required sensitivity settings. I still use the D2 however due to better results during pin pointing with frequency response. Single frequency 2.5 and 7.5 are great on the SEF.

I have no problem at all in Best Data, and as I have said many times in the forum, I can actually run the SEF coil at higher gains than my D2. I guess it varies from unit to unit.

The SEF is still my first choice as coils go. I just never noticed the single frequency issue before.

jacks on the mony with the sef seeing the quarter and wraping, the problem is the 22.5 , on my maine beaches the sef and the d2 in best data wrap a surface clad quarter to negitive numbers, correlate no problem, not much help,just what ive noticed. 22.5 is probably great for nuggets, but i have none to test.