Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with Sovereign XS EMI shield

Jeff (IL)

I have one of the earlier Sovereign XS's, which does NOT have the EMI shield that goes around the main circuit board.

I have some ideas on how to add one to my Sovereign, but don't recall where the wire that connects to the EMI shielding was soldered to.

Can anyone help me out here with a pic or two of your sovereign, and/or a description of where this wire was soldered too?

Would be much appreciated!

Jeff

From what I remember the shield (silver foil over a white plastic box) was not connected to the circuit board unlike the Fisher CZ's for instance that had a freestanding thick copper foil attached by a wire with a paperclip.
I always thought this was a little odd as you would think the EMI would have to be "earthed" away.

Hopefully someone will have had their Sovereign open more recently and will be able to clarify matters.

Thanks Brian. I ended up taking some wire and soldering a paper clip on one end, which I slid over the EMI shielding cover I built, and took the other end and "grounded" it to the metal bracket where the coil connector is.

Seems to be working OK.

Jeff

Jeff, were you having a problem with the XS unshielded?

Did adding the shielding help anything?

Willee

hope this helps you out....
this is were the shielded black wire is soldered on my sovereign xs-2a pro

sovereignxs-2apro-1.jpg