Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

help

Trixter50210

hello people im just wondering if anybody knows where to metal detect if you live in south nj because around my area all i find is clad no silver or anything close to old

You'll have to spent some time at the Historical Society and do some research of the past where people had picnics and fairs,
also big gatherings.
If you an get permission to hunt old home sites that could yield silver.
Read back some of the old thread that were written in the past .
Also silver is not as common as it was in the past as people have been in detecting since the 1960's.
Good luck as nothing is ever hunted completely out.
Welcome to the forum lots of people will help if you need info.

Some places are nearly hunted out, as metal detectors have been used for about 50 years. So, often the silver is scarce. It is highly unlikely that you will get any kind of legitimate response as to exactly such a place is, as those places are becoming scarce, and most people won't post such places for a variety of reasons. So, you may have to knock on doors from older houses to get permission to hunt. Some detectorists do this often. Otherwise, a lot of research is in order, or just except the fact that the available silver is in limited areas, and just enjoy the hobby! Nothing wrong with hunting for clad, and getting surprised with the odd silver coin, or silver/gold jewelery.

South Jersey is rich in history. Do some research then do some more research and after that....well you get my point. There's alot of info right on the web and you'll be surprised to find out how much fun doing your homework can be. I love the days or weeks of anticipation and thinking about what could hopefully be, that come between locating a site and actually hunting it. Please be sure to get permission first though, even if you're hitting a park get the green light from the powers that be before you start detecting.

What detector do you have? There are alot of great folks on this forum and much to be learned from them.

Good luck and post your finds,
Steve

I tried a few sites near Swedesborough and had awful luck. I was visiting an Aunt in Chester County PA where I had good luck. I can't wait to get back there.

I am not a seasoned silver coin hunter. I find one every so often and I live with it. I was discussing this a few days ago on this forum. When I was using a less sophisticated detector with no discrimination I found a LOT more silver, some old. I have never found an 1800s silver coin with my Garretts because I rarely hunt those types of sites. I was at one today and scored a matron head LC which is as good as old silver in my book.

It will happen for you, and me too someday, don't get discouraged.

Chris

PS Find a school built in the 40s or 50s and try there. If its been heavily hunted try along tree lines, around bushes, and around big shade trees. Nobody gets it all.