Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help...

capt.

Hey Guys,

I have recently started acquiring some Tesoro detectors. I have a question about the performance of the 2 newer ones... the Compadre and the Mojave. On my test site (coin garden) the Compadre with the small coil will hit a 6" dime, nickel and quarter with no problem. It will also hit an 8" nickel. I am happy with this performance from the Compadre. The Mojave with the 7" precision coil will do the exact same thing... and nothing more. I am NOT happy about that. Something seems fishy about this compared to the small coil performance on the Compadre. I think that the Mojave should perform better than the Compadre. Am I wrong about this?

On this theme, is there a gain pot in the Mojave I can tweek for better performance? Is this even the right train of thought? I am not trying to turn it into a depth demon, (I have other detectors for that) I just feel that the Mojave is not running as hot as it should be. At my test site my other detectors will chatter with the sens turned all the way up, the Mojave is quiet at full sens. All comments / advice is welcome.

Thanks.

capt.

Since I had another detector w/features and better depth, I was satisfied with just having a Compadre for the usual parks, schools,etc. Having said that I read others saying the Mojave is deeper, so I don't know. Perhaps the initial gain wasn't set high enough- but one lesson I learned from diddlin' with my Tesoros is you best be careful and know what you're doing before you mess with one internally- and use a plastic TV tuning tool.

I only have one tesoro (tiger shark)and dont have a whole lot of experience with it,but have several other machines.. how much depth are you expecting out of a 7" coil ? an 8" nickle with 7"coil sounds pretty good to me... perhaps your disappointment stems more from the cheaper compadre performing better than one would expect.. lots of guys with a variety of mid level to high end detectors have a comadre in there arsenal .. just sayin..

Tesoros come in three flavors lemon-average Joe, and Hot Tamale. If its hot better darn keep it. They all fall within Tesoro tolerances. Rarely find a lemon unless it was tinkered with. Bulk are average, Hot ones exist and take time and money to find.
Just ask Monte and others how many of one model they buy before they find the right one.
No reason to go inside a Tesoro thinking you can powerhouse it. Many tinker and destroy a Tesoro and then try and dump it cheap.
Buying a used Tesoro these days can be a gamble, everyone wants to tinker without a clue as to what they are doing.

In my original post I wondered if tweeking it was a possibility and if it was the right thing to do. I have my answer.

slingshot, never would have thought of using a plastic TV tuning tool. Gonna file that away for future reference. May come in handy some day.

bootyhoundpa, I wasn't thinking the Compadre was hot, I was thinking the Mojave was lacking... looking at it the other way around makes sense, since you brought it up. The way I was looking at it was that if the Compadre was hitting the 8" nickel with the small coil, the Mojave with the bigger coil should get the 8" quarter and, just maybe, the 8" dime. This assumption was based off the performance of the smaller coil on the Compadre. The price was not a consideration, coil size was.

Sven, thanks for educating me on the "stages" of Tesoros. I will keep this in mind. Based on your info, my Compadre (bought new) and Bandido 2 micromax are "Hot Tamales" and the Mojave (bought new) and Lobo are "Average Joe". The Bandido and Lobo have been to Tesoro for checkups as I bought them used.

Thanks for the responses guy.

capt.

I forgot to mention the parts are tiny and fragile- the plastic tool could prevent the stress that comes with a metal screwdriver.

slingshot said:
I forgot to mention the parts are tiny and fragile- the plastic tool could prevent the stress that comes with a metal screwdriver.

Thanks for the warning! Does that include the screws used to adjust the trimmer pots?

-Ken

kittlitz said:

Thanks for the warning! Does that include the screws used to adjust the trimmer pots?

-Ken
Those were what I was referring to.

doc holiday232 said:
WHY I Never buy Used Anything.
\\

Especially a Tesoro, everyone thinks there's a magic trimpot(s) inside that will turn a lowly "it is what it is made to be" Tesoro into a Tejon powerhouse. So they start playing inside...........
I would think Tesoro knows how to calibrate each detector to its max. performance within spec. to make sure its stable and a productive unit. They know how to use an oscilloscope to tune and calibrate properly.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_KuGEh0PyA[/video]

slingshot said:

-Ken
Those were what I was referring to.

Thanks -- that's very good to know. I'm glad this topic came up before I was ready to tweak anything :)

-Ken

I wouldn't expect there would be much difference between the 5/3/4 coil versus a 7"coil on similar machines. I don't see it using those coils on my earlier 5 pin Tesoros. In fact, I was surprised at how close the 5/3/4 was to the performance of the 7" when I first got one.
BB

In 20 years of hunting 99% of my finds have been less than 6 inches and most between 2-4 inches. Location, knowing your detector, and persistence will produce finds whether it's a Harbor Freight special or the latest computerized VDI techno dynamo.

The difference between perception and reality can be vast indeed.

try a 5 pin concentric 6" coil on the Mojave see how that compare's to the new 7" coil. and the Compadre.