Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Helping Archeologists

togamac

I had the awesome experience of helping archeologists explore the site of a Revolutionary battlefield yesterday. The state of NY invited local detectorists to help detect the site. Finds were cataloged and flagged so that their location could be GPS'd later. They included grape shot from cannons and balls from the rifles in use back then. One interesting fact: Archeologists test the balls found for blood! Imagine that, testing for blood after 240 years in the ground!

I'd recommend all detectorists to reach out to your local archeologists. You'll learn to respect what they're trying to do and it may change the way you hunt and treat artifacts. As one of them said to me, "When you get old and pass on, the story behind all the artifacts you've collected will pass on too." Think about it.

HH, Mac

Great advice Mac. I have also had the pleasure of working with archaeologists on several occasions. I learn from them and they from me, as I have shown them sites that they were totally unaware of. If not for amateurs, they would have very few sites to study. Never once has there been any conflict with them about my metal detecting or collecting stone artifacts. I wish I could say the same about some of the people I've taken arrowhead hunting or metal detecting. Glad you had fun and hope you get to do it again.

Have helped many of times, and it seems that archeologists of today, are much more open to our help, than those back in the '80's and '90's!! We have made good progress!!

togamac said:
.... I'd recommend all detectorists to reach out to your local archeologists. ...

But only if they ask. Because if md'rs start waltzing into archie's offices, and approach the wrong ones (the purist types) with offers of help, it can end in looks of bristled terror from the archie (as they often hate md'rs). So often the best tactic (for those purist types anyhow) is to have them think AS LITTLE ABOUT MD'ING and md'rs as possible.

kansa54 said:
.... Never once has there been any conflict with them about my metal detecting .....

Well then you haven't run into the "purist" types. Beware.

Lots of things to consider in this topic:

1. The easiest thing for any govt agency to do is to ban detecting rather than try to understand it or embrace it
2. Therefore, most dedicated md'ers try to stay invisible, not always out of greed (although there is that,) but for fear that more publicity will inevitably mean more opposition. (EG, a couple of weeks ago my buddy and I detecting a park and were SCREAMED at by a woman who was walking her dog. I tried to reassure her that we were ok, but she wouldn't hear it, then my buddy, who has a lot shorter fuse than I do, got snarky with her. I feared she'd raise the stakes somehow, but fortunately she didn't and we were left alone the rest of the day except by interested passersby.) When we left the park, we did indeed see a sign that said, "Removal of artifacts prohibited." The definition of "artifact," however, remains unclear. We have a hard time believing the word applies to ten year old clad dimes and pennies, or even to coins older than that, which we did not find.
3. Ethical md'ers can indeed be really helpful in learning the stories of places, if people will learn to accept and include us.
4. If you run into archaeologists who have positive attitudes towards detecting, please send them to Oregon.
5. My brother is a high-ranking official in the Historical Commission of another state. I see him only a couple times a year, but when we do see each other, we generally do not discuss my hobby, as it leads to nothing but arguments. I think he honestly believes that sooner or later, archaeologists will go over every square inch of his state, so he wants nothing found until they do. Given his limited budget, that would take thousands of years, but he genuinely seems to believe that it would be better for an archaeologist in 3015 to find that little pocket spill of coins than it is if I find them tomorrow.

Obviously there are those detectorists who would plunder important sites if they found them first, and based on some of the things I've seen posted in the "finds" forum, this is a legitimate concern. However, if we as ethical detectorists can do a better job of publicizing our contributions to the fields of archaeology and history, and of policing our own hobby and educating one another, perhaps the day will come when we will be not only accepted, but welcomed. As one who leaves every area cleaner than how I found it, I can tell you that from time to time I join the "haters" in being disgusted by the carelessness and thoughtlessness of those who came before me. All I can do is try to clean up their messes and try to be a good ambassador for the hobby to all who come my way. I'm sorry about the lady who felt it was necessary to scream. If she would have been acting a little more sanely, maybe we could have had a productive discussion. However, I weighed her attitude and behavior and determined it wouldn't be worth the time to try to talk to her. She was just too upset or crazy. That's too bad, because our hobby has an opponent and all we probably did was make things worse. We have to believe that we're making lots more positive contacts than negative, though, by talking to the others who came by, and we hope that everyone takes the time to have friendly exchanges with folks so they see that what we're doing is not bad or harmful in any way.

I hear and respect all of you'alls comments. OregonMike, if your brother was being honest, he'd admit that he needs your help. There were about 25 of us helping last weekend and we covered about 4 acres in an 8 hour day.

Maybe saying to "reach out" to them is a little naive. It may be like reaching out to the prettiest girl in class; you may get family jewels handed to you. These fellows (and women) reached out to us and we even discussed the sensitive relationship between they and us. One told me that they would never had known of some sites had not a detectorist told them about it.

All I can add is that it was the highlight of my metal detecting "career" and if they ever ask again, I'll be the first one there. It just felt so right; completely stress free, and the camaradarie of fellow detectorists and the pros.

yes, I have run into the purist types.

There's the humorous comical true story of the following "purist" encounter: An md'r was plying his luck on an east coast beach. I forget which state, or what type beach. But it wasn't a beach that had any specific no-md'ing rule anyhow.

A lady archie who just happened to be walking down the beach saw him. She detoured, walked over to him, and READ HIM THE RIOT ACT. The poor md'r didn't even know what hit him, or what this lady's problem was. But eventually he began to figure out she was talking about cultural heritage stuff/laws. So the md'r gleefully opened his apron, and showed her he was only finding MODERN stuff, d/t he was just angling for loose change & jewelry.

The lady archie stammered, hee'd and haw'd, trying to regain footing , now that she'd been shown that his stuff was modern, not old. So she changed her tune and said "Well, perhaps it's not archaeologically significant NOW, but in 100 or 1000 yrs. from now, they WILL be artifacts for future generations that you've robbed from context" blah blah .

Now seriously, you KNOW this type would BRISTLE at the thought of detecting ANYWHERE, no matter private, public, innocuous, or not. There is no way you're going to get this type archie to settle down and realize metal detectors are not the devil's play toys.

Great post Mike ! Yes there are the purist types that are of the opinion that all md'ing = bad. Even on private property. And can even cite some scary sounding laws that appear to have some sort of reach down , even to private property levels. Or if dealing with public land, will try to say that reach extends via subrogation , down to all over public land levels in that state (city and county).

Thus, SERIOUSLY NOW: Do you think you're going to be able to "reason" with this type person ? Of course not. They will just slobber and drool, and decide that even MORE STRINGENT measures are needed. Hence the LESS they think of us, the better. Out of sight is out of mind.

The odds are, such types like that, in the entire state of Oregon, are 1 in 500,000. Right ? So what are the odds of that 1 person seeing you on the beach or in the park? Zero, of course. Hence rather than trying to build a love relationship (which will never happen), I choose to simply avoid such types. Some md'rs call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine then: Sneak around.