Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here Are The Discrimination Features I Have Observed So Far Hunting In Water/Land:detecting:

John-Edmonton

Staff member
Trying to knock out targets using the Discrimination like a VLF doesn't work like a vlf. So.......here's what I dofor best results on thre ATX:

Pay attention to the audio. It will give subtle clues as to a rusty bottle cap vs. A coin. The coin will give a smother audio, the rusty bottle cap will be more harsh.

-Shallow nails give multiple audio blips. A coin does not.
-Use the iron check....it does work in the upper 4-5 inches, depending on the size of the target
-Copper and silver will give a low high audio sound (yes....there may be exceptions)
-Gold will give a high low audio sound. Many of the other targets can give either, including iron. (yes....there may be exceptions)
-Large targets will give a longer swing arc over a target compared to a small one.
-The audio is modulated. Deep targets give a quiet signal, shallow ones can be very intense
-Take discrimination thought out of the detector electronics, and apply that same type of thinking to location and best place at location with the greatest potential to find a decent target vs. areas thast are just littered with junk. Also, consider hunting hunted out areas, as a PI will often find targets missed by others.
-Hot rocks should dissappear with turning up the disc to about half

Thats what I have notices so far. It allows me to hunt for old silver and copper targets, omitting 70% of targets indicating gold, iron or other unknowns. It allows me to ID tin cans as large targets, so I leave them alone. It allows me to leave a lot of nails, wire and iron alone. if searching for gold, I can disregard the low-high signals. If I want to dig old targets, I dig the soft sounding targets. You want to dig targets in extremely high mineralized soil, use a PI and put a VLF detector in the trunk.

You can't use a PI like a VLF, nor should you use it in all locations. In the right location, in the right persons hands in well thought out places it's a killer!

I am sure there are other ways to utilize some discrimination on the Garrett ATX. It should be interesting to hear about more as time goes on, and I will (pin) start an on-going list

John

Excellent post John and I certainly agree. In a world where nearly everyone uses VLF detectors employing lots of discrimination the ATX is a whole different ball game. Breaking out of old habits and trying new things is what leads to finds others miss.

Yea, good post John...