Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here I be (again) Uncle Willy... Last post 4-12-10

parrott

Uncle Willy...Just stopping by to say HOWDY.

I have a quick story about Roy Lagal who used to tailgate Garrett detectors at Quartzsite
This was over 20 years ago when his wife Gerri was still alive and an active partner in his
tailgating ventures. The Lagals were a great team; they demonstrated various Garretts
to the "snowbird" crowd and were very popular as they were also snowbirds.

I made it a point whenever I was detecting Jim Ross's BLM claim, at Middle Camp
(Dome Rock off ramp) around Christmas time to drive into Quartzsite and say "Howdy"
to the Lagals.

One time Mr. Lagal gave me two Garrett videos... no charge... a friendly guesture as
the Lagals were known for...

Gerri is now gone. Mr Lagal would now be his late 80's and was/is?? living in an
assisted living home in Fredricksburg Tx. He welcomed Christmas and other special
cards, but never answered.

Now Uncle Willy... I have a question. It is about Mr. Lagal... do you know how he is
doing?

No I don't my dear bud. I had heard some time ago that his health wasn't all that good and he was in a home in Texas somewhere but that's the last I heard about him. I can try and check with Vaughan Garrett or Charles if I can get ahold of him and see if they know how Roy is or if he is still with us. I knew he was getting up there and didn't know if he was still among us or not.

Glad you stopped by dear bud. Hope all is well with you and you're still chasing those nuggets. Ain't none of us old farts getting any younger. :) And I feel "younger" slipping away faster every day. My mind doesn't want to believe it but my body offers a reminder everyday. :rofl: Take care of your old self. Chasing those nuggets will keep you young.

Bill

I hope Mr Lagal is doin' okay. I know he's getting up there in years. He's about my dad's age. I've read all of his books(that I know of)and I certainly owe him a debt of gratitude. Twenty plus years into it and I still haven't been able to"Find an Ounce of Gold a Day":lol:not for lack of tryin':rofl: Fredericksburg would definitely be a nice place to spend the twilight of your life. We've passed through there a few times in that beautiful Texas hill country. I really enjoy that Admiral Nimitz/Pacific War museum.
I love that Dome Rock, AZ area and have boondocked there many times. Found some tiny nuggies there with the Scorp and a ton of old boot tacks, bullet frags, bird shot, rusty nails, screen wire, tin cans, etc.:detecting:

Happy Hunting!:)

Uncle Willy...the reason I posted was to honor Roy... We both knew him and Gerri.
I have the address of the facility... I can send it to you as I have your home address
with more information... (Sidebar: Also, if I have your home address I'll send you a
copy of my laterst book... "Three Hours to Gold From Southern California" )

Back to Roy: My thought: It would be nice if some of the forum members sent
Roy a happy... whatever the occasion card... I had been sending one on Chistmas...
but my bad, realize I missed the last couple of years...

Great idea bud. I'm sure old Roy would appreciate a few fond wishes. Would love to see your latest literary efforts.

Bill

I'd be glad to send Mr. Lagal some greeting cards on occasion.:happy:
Where can I find your latest book at Mr. Straight?

Gosh Metalhead... I hope I'm not being outa line for metioning my book Mr Lagals address"

Roy Lagal~~~ % Knapp Assisted Living~~~ 202 Billie Drive~~~ Fredericksburg TX 78624

My latest Book; "Three Hours To Gold From Southern California." a history of gold, silver
and tungsten mining in the greater Randsburg Quadrangle California. From 1894 to 2010.
Randsburg,Johannesburg, Red Mountain and Atolia are about 100 miles north of
San Bernardino and about 90 miles north and 30 miles east of Los Angeles. Today there
are about seven "Prospecting associations" with BLM claims in the greater area.
There are still original buildings, memorbilia stores, and a general store in Randsburg that
are well worth visiting the area for a day of touching hands from the past.

The book is printed on a full color laser printer... quality paper... many illustrations and
photos, both black and white and color... spiral bound... About 114 pages. It is printed in
small lots whenever the laser is available (open time). As I write this; copies may be available
in the Randsburg General Store; Pedersen's Metal Detectors in Santa Ana; Chris Gholson's
Arizona Outback in Prescott Valley AZ; and Lost Treasure in Grove Oklahoma will be
carrying both paper and digital versions... I autograph each copy before i ship them to a dealer.
As time goes by there may be other outlets... I do not sell it direct,it would not be fair to
those who buy and sell it.

It is my "Flagship." Being printed on a laser is not cheap... My suggested retail is $19.95.

......I met him at an Indoor Flea Market in Wimberly, Texas.....back about 1989?? or so......HE AUTOGRAPHED ONE OF HIS BOOKS FOR ME......I WAS IMPRESSED ON HOW FRIENDLY HE WAS TO ABSOLUTE STRANGERS....HIS OUTGOING PERSONALITY IS VERY SIMILAR TO CHARLES GARRETT........I also met Charles Garrett .....they were all very outgoing and very friendly......JOE

Hey thanks for the address Mr. Straight.:wave:I'll delegate that to my better half. She's much much better at remembering to send cards out than I am.:laugh:
I'll be lookin' for your new book when we hit AZ and SoCal in a few weeks on the way to our claim up in the Mother Lode country. I think I've read every book and article that you've written on the subject of nugget shootin'. I certainly do appreciate you sharing in your knowledge and experience. I've really learned alot from you.

Hey Joe, I've never met either Mr. Lagal or Mr. Garrett personally, but everybody I know that has says the same thing as you. That they are very down to earth and friendly.

Jimbo my dear bud, thanks for Roy's address. Yeah he might appreciate some cards from some of us old dirt fishers. I put out a feeler to see how he is doing health wise and otherwise. Haven't heard anything yet. Are you self-publishing or having it farmed out? Your last book was a beauty. I'm still thinking of doing one if I can ever get the lead out. My buddy Ken Wienman has pumped out two or three and done quite well. He keeps asking when I'm going to do one.

I must have missed your last email. I'll have to do a search. My board runneth over. Jack Lowry sends me about ten or fifteen jokes every day without fail and my board is loaded with those. Jack had a book started and said I was in it but don't know if he ever finished it or not. He had some health problems there for awhile but think they are under control now. Take care bud.

Bill

Gosh Bill... It is being done in a printshop... I have sent you several messages, one about Roy
which posted on the forum.

:)I'm really impressed with Johm-Edminton and his know-how and perseverence to set
up the Stinger to check blacksand concentrations as a target leading to sluicing for gold.

Think I will pick me up a copy of your book also Jim. I reference back many times to your "follow dry washers" book.

Yeh Bill get on writing you a book also. :twodetecting:

Alan