Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here is a simple, low cost way to clean a coin....................

Kelley (Texas)

After reading about various methods used to clean coins, I decided to see how using electrolysis would work. I had never used electrolysis before because I had always been of the opinion that it was too complicated...even the word "electrolysis" itself put fear in me. After reading several articles on Google Search, I decided to give it a try.

You will need the following:
1. Alligator clips
2. 9 volt battery connector
3. 9 volt battery
4. stainless steel spoon or fork
5. tea spoon of table salt
6. three or four drops of lemon juice
7. a small drinking glass
8. baking soda

I went to Radio Shack and purchased some alligator clips, a 9 volt battery connector, and a 9 volt battery. I soldered the alligator clips to the battery connector...the only actual work that you have to do. This is how it looked after being soldered.
[attachment 16449 electrolysiskit2.jpg]

I filled the glass with water, then added a tea spoon of table salt, and four drops of lemon juice...then stirred the mixture.

I then put a stainless steel spoon in the water and connected the red positive alligator clip to the spoon. Then I connected the black negative alligator clip to the dirty coin and dropped it into the water while making sure that the coin did not touch the spoon. finally, I put the battery connector on the battery.

Picture of the coin before cleaning.
[attachment 16450 coinbefore2.jpg]

When I connected the battery connector to the battery, almost immediately I noticed bubbles surrounding the coin. I watched the water turn dirty for the next several minutes. I lifted the coin out of the water several times to check the cleaning process. After a few minutes, the coin was clean.

I removed the coin from the water and ran some water on it, then polished it with baking soda. The baking soda will also stop any further corrosion of the coin.

Picture of the coin after cleaning.
[attachment 16451 cleancoin3.jpg]

The cleaned coin did have a slight copper colored tone which may have been caused by the alligator clips possibly having copper in the metal. I would suggest using a good pair of stainless steel alligator clips. You must remember that this is the first time that I have ever used electrolysis, so I still have lots to learn. I hope this will help some of you in cleaning some of your coins found while metal detecting. Kelley (Texas) :)

NOTE: I would not suggest using this method to clean rare or valuable coins until you have researched this method of cleaning coins.

Thanks Kelley, this is great advice. Can't wait to try it.
Will this work on pennies also? I found a Lincoln either 1912 or 1917, can't tell which due to the corrosion. Horsecreeker

This is all new too me. I would not recommend you using this method on an old or rare coin until you know more about how to properly use this method of cleaning coins. I do not know how the copper would react to the salt in the water, lemon drops, and electric current being used to clean the coin.

Horsecreeker, did you notice the slight copper tint to the nickel? I do not know what caused it yet, may have been the metal in the alligator clamps. This is why I suggest you use caution until you know more about this method of cleaning coins. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Thanks for the information. I'm going to use this method as soon as I can on what little silver I have.
Again thanks Kelly.
dirtstabber:whites:XL-PRO

The next time you clean by electrolysis do not use salt, instead use baking soda, as it will not induce any harmful effects possibly later.
I use a auto battery charger, set on low; you can also regulate the power of the cleaning by how strong you make the electrolyte. Copper coins will somewhat blacken, and I've used it only briefly on silver that had green pitting from salt. Works well, and when through gently wipe with some type of oil and this will lighten the surface blackening.

used baking soda instead of salt in the water, it would be be more safe on the coins? Any information that you can provide on this subject would be much appreciated. Kelley (Texas) :)

I used electrolosis on some coins 30 years ago. The nickels would always come out looking "pink". I just figured it was the iodine in the table salt, but never bought any "non-iodized" to find out for sure. HH Randy

"This salt does not supply Iodide, a necessary nutrient." The brand is Morton Salt. With this information, do you think that the salt caused the coin to be a slight copper color? Kelley (Texas) :)

I usually don't clean my silver but I sometimes hunt the dock areas of old mill towns and man does that silver come up nasty from the saltwater. Thanks!

same condition as the nickel that I cleaned yesterday using the electrolysis method. This time I did things just a tab different. I used tap water instead of distilled water, and I used only salt in the water without the lemon drops. When I was done, I still used baking soda to polish the copper penny. Kelley (Texas) :)

Photos of cleaned 1964D penny:
[attachment 16550 pennyclean1.jpg]
[attachment 16551 pennyclean2.jpg]

trace minerals in your water supply, the release of minerals in the wire or metallic clips you use, or even other impurities in the salt. If you the clips are soldered on to the wires, that alone is at least three different metals, all creating a chemical reaction with their different chemical compositions. Passing electrons through the circuit accelerates the process.
Tough to say for sure. You might try distilled water to see if that helps. If it don't, you may have to keep changing various items in the setup until you find the answer. HH Randy

The baking soda is considered neutral, but the salt is corrosive and harmful. The nickel has copper in its composition, and I suspect the electrolysis brought that out. I've seen similar results on nickels left in the Sun. Something else that can happen to nickels is that they turn almost gun metal blue, or purple. I have a MS-63 1913 S Type 1, that is purple.
The vinegar/salt mixture will return your nickel to its silver color-but the gold is more unique.

Yes it works, but you have to be careful and not keep it in too long. [I've had crappy Roman Bronze coins almost dissappear]
Many times you find pitting beneath the crud, on silver especially from salt areas. I've seen dimes so black from the beach you could not even tell they were dimes, including parking lots with sand/shells. I never clean a really good find with anything besides washing it off, and then dipping it in Jewel Luster[rinse again.] If you leave the coin out in air instead of sealing it in holder, it will regain a more natural look.