Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here is why you MUST dig those deep, "iffy" signals!

Neil

That is unbelievable!
If I ever found something like that it might be my last!
Don't know if the old ticker could take it.

How long have you had the V3i?
You using 7.5kHz, right?

I'm a big fan of iffy signals.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1415332

More good hunting to you.

Denny

That is truly a wonderful find! My BIGGEST Congratulations to you! Thanks for the great pictures.

NebTrac

I have to add my WOW to the rest of the forum! Great find!

I was not happy with the way the first photos came out. I retook some shots, but the camera was not cooperating when I tried to shoot the reverse. I did not feel comfortable with this coin out of its holder, so I gave up fairly quickly.

Here it is, along with a shot of the reverse in its holder.

Congratulations Neil. That is truly a fantastic find! Have you considered submitting it to NGC? They will slab Problem Coins and provide a Details Grade. My guess is that it would come back as: XF Details, Corroded. Is that a die break or a scratch that runs from the rim through Miss Liberty's head?

Thanks for showing us that great find!

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
Congratulations Neil. That is truly a fantastic find! Have you considered submitting it to NGC? They will slab Problem Coins and provide a Details Grade. My guess is that it would come back as: XF Details, Corroded. Is that a die break or a scratch that runs from the rim through Miss Liberty's head?

Thanks for showing us that great find!

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

It is a die break which identifies this as the rare LM-3 variety. This was a later stage of the die. Environmental damage is the reason I do NOT plan on having it slabbed. The grading services have been unjustifiably tough on dug coins, and my feeling is it would devalue this. I will look for a private sale if I ever decide to sell the coin.

One expert says it looks to be in AU condition, I think it is more likely EF: "Hair above forehead and at neck well defined, but shows some wear"
AU is described as "Slight wear on high waves of hair near ear and face, and on head and tips of eagle's wings."

You must have missed the original post...9.5 inches with a jumpy VDI bouncing from the 20s to the 70's. When the coin was on the surface it was a solid 53.