Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here it is! The Finale - Garrett ATX vs Minelab GPX 5000 - The 5.4 oz Gold Nugget!

bearkat4160

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvr08WpVFI

Hi BK and many thanks for this video (as well as all the other ones). I've been waiting for this one!

I'm now fully convinced my decision to buy the ATX and not GPX 5000 was a sound one. The way I see it I am buying a very good PI machine, sensitive to small gold whilst only losing out some 15% on maximum depth, but saving 170% on cost. As an added bonus it is collapsible , waterproof and very easy to operate. The weight doesn't bother me, I am a big bloke. There is just one more test I hope you will be able to make a video of and that is the one with the big coil, if Garrett lets you have one. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Cheers

Jerry

In this case .... Inches are not miles .... As it would have been detected by both machines...:bouncy:
Your logic is only applicable in some smaller number of cases...

Cheers,

Tye

Yea man I want me one of those big coils to test...they are slow going on the making of them. Your conclusions are my take as well...some will agree, some will want to spend more on the GPX, all personal preference.
Garrett should make their 10"x14" mono coil for the ATX...that would fill in a missing gap a bit more.

BK

Thanks again Bearkat!!! I guess that was pretty much expected - the ML is slightly deeper/louder than the ATX. Of course, as you and others have mentioned, it would be nice to see a 10x12 mono to have a more apples to apples comparison.
Would have liked to see the AT Gold on that test too. :) I was already surprised to see it recognize the four nuggets in the prior video - especially since all it had was a 5"x8" DD coil!

Tye said:
In this case .... Inches are not miles .... As it would have been detected by both machines...:bouncy:
Your logic is only applicable in some smaller number of cases...

Ill take ever inch of depth and lateral sensing I can get.

I suppose you missed how narrow of a target response the ATX had, how critical it was to center the sweep over the target.

Its not only the depth that counts its how much " off the sweet spot" a signal is generated. Real world detecting is what matters in the end.

Advantage ML and a mono coil.

The Minelab GPX always has been an impressive deep gold machine, so no surprise there.
But the Garrett ATX detector was quite impressive as well on the larger nugget. Wonder just
how much gold is actually found at those depths, or if the majority of the gold is found at the
shallower depths? (2" down to say 12") Just curious.......

If you're going to run the atx at full sensitivity, shouldn't you crank up the gain and run the gpx in sharp/deep?

Gold Nuggets,
That is exactly how I look at it. I don't think that digging 23" deep holes is very common, but ML people will probably tell me that I'm wrong.

That is why I said ... In a smaller number of cases...
Not only perhaps in depth...but freq. of SIZE ...:wiggle:

Cheers,

Tye

Thanks for all the videos:cheers:

If all your looking for is depth on big gold and not the tunability of the timings or the status. My Old SD2200v2 will hit that nugget all day long and deeper and I paid $675 for it but had to drive 200 miles to pick it up. Why spend 5000 dollars that 5000 didn't sound too much stabler than my SD it still had allot of warble.

The water ability and sensitivity to small shallow gold make the ATX look tempting. But I would love to see the other side of that mountain and see if the same holds true in Iron rich ground. Or if the nuggets disappear as they reach the same phase as the soil. At what point does the scale tip if at all in favor of one or the other ?

My biggest question how much deeper will that 5000 hit that larger gold at? My bet with as strong as that signal hit with a pair of good headphones and in that quite ground my guess it would have pounded out that nugget past 22 inches.
The depth gain Is huge I'm sure

What people forget about prospecting is you need to be able to punch deeper than the last generation and or have a niche and if Garrets ATX can still perform on the small gold in High Mineralization its a winner if not its still a winner from a water hunting micro jewelry standpoint!!!!!!!

HH
Jim

The ATX would run stable at max where as the GPX would not be stable at max. It was at a fairly high gain all while being as stable as possible. Just different machines for sure...

BK

God forbid man, a 20" coil?

BK, all I can say here, if you do get a hold of that 20" coil from Garrett and run some comparison tests with it, you might think about renting a mini backhoe or something, this is getting "crazy" deep (for me anyways) and you might as well start getting our orders for Take - Out because that's where your going to end up (if you know what I mean), hehe

This I have got to see.

:)

Lol, yea man...digging to China is kinda a pain cause my pick n shovel is all I'm gonna take with me...:surprised:

Bearkat

Hi guys,

Have you seen this video? Something that many of us wanted to see. So, here it is and what a beauty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcFmnScA-6c

Yea I watched it couple times...thanks for posting it here.

BK

Great video jerrym1 thanks for posting the link.

20" whole plus a 6" lift above the ground is very impressive indeed.

Where talking in feet now, not inches.