Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here's a comparison. Light machines vs arm changers

Dancer

In today's world looks like the heavy cannons are starting to get replaced with the lighter jobs. About 3 years ago my right shoulder started a never ending ache. Took me awhile than decided to closet my heavys ,switched to primarily hunting the Mojave and recently the Headhunter Pirate Pro. Took about 3 months , no more bad shoulder. Come to think of it, no more having to switch arms either. Not plugging these 2 machines because there are some really nice 3 lbs. Or less machines out there.
Bet I'm not the only one who has eased up on the weight.

How about light weight but nose heavy vs heavier but well balanced. As you can see I am a fan of Tesoro’s. They are light and well balanced. However there are some new lighter machines that are very nose heavy because they have a large heavy coil with very little weight in the back to balance it out. They are not very pleasant to swing after a while. My MXT Pro is my heaviest detector, but with the coils that I use on it, feels much lighter because the box in the back balances out with the coil, and the coil just feels like it is floating above the ground. The coils that I use on my MXT are the Whites 9”spider, 5.3 eclipse, 4x6 shooter, Detech 6x8 sef and Detech 5x10 WSS. They all balance very nicely on the MXT and are a pleasure to swing.

JEF said:
How about light weight but nose heavy vs heavier but well balanced. As you can see I am a fan of Tesoro’s. They are light and well balanced. However there are some new lighter machines that are very nose heavy because they have a large heavy coil with very little weight in the back to balance it out. They are not very pleasant to swing after a while. My MXT Pro is my heaviest detector, but with the coils that I use on it, feels much lighter because the box in the back balances out with the coil, and the coil just feels like it is floating above the ground. The coils that I use on my MXT are the Whites 9”spider, 5.3 eclipse, 4x6 shooter, Detech 6x8 sef and Detech 5x10 WSS. They all balance very nicely on the MXT and are a pleasure to swing.

What's the word Jef ? Ergonomics, I think.

Only one company (as far as I know) has published ergonomic specifications for a detector, That is First Texas. They published ergonomic specs for the F-75 and the T2. This was Dave Johnson’s work. Here are the specs for the T2

Weight: 3.5 pounds (1.6 kg) with alkaline batteries installed.

Static Balance: force in vertical plane normal to elbow 0.47 pounds (0.22 kg).Varies with adjustment and user’s stance and arm/hand physiology.

Dynamic Balance: axial moment, 0.29 foot-pounds (0.39 newton-meters). Varies with adjustment and user’s stance and arm/hand physiology.

Sweep Effort: lateral moment 5.2 foot-pounds (7.1 newton-meters).

Once you have handled one of these, you become more critical of other detectors’ ergonomics.

I am newer to hobby. Only on my 3rd year but I have developed arthritis in my shoulder. Now I take a prescription NSAID every day and it helps a lot.

One 2 hour session with the Etrac this spring made my shoulder really unhappy. I have decided I have to use lighter detectors. I don't want to quit metal detecting, but I don't want days of pain either.

Its the same with workout and exercise. If it hurts, stop and/or change things up or else you'll end up with a serious injury.

XP's Deus/ORX seriously has about the nicest weight and ergonomics of anything I have personally used up to this point.

Designers today have 3D modeling, 3d printers, carbon fiber, programmable development boards, cheap lithium ion batteries, and basically all the tools to do rapid prototyping. A new iteration should be able to be mocked up and tested in VERY short time relative to 20 years ago. I see no reason why metal detectors can't be designed to be lighter and still perform well.

CS

I use a Detectorbits Easyswing harness in the UK,great bit of kit.I use three machines,Whites IDX,Fisher 1236x2 and Fisher 1270,all beep and dig machines that can make your arm ache after a short while and since getting the harness can now swing for hours with no problems.Well worth the investment rather than changing to lighter detectors.

The most comfortable detectors I have owned that balanced just about perfectly and felt super light weight more so than Tesoros was the Deteknix Pro and Quest Q40. Along with having the most comfortable handle set up.

One other detector that was lovely to use was the White's IDX with the 6" coil.

Usually when I go detecting i go for an all day adventure which means a lot of swinging that coil, the only relief I've found is to learn to swing the rig with either hand, at first it really felt weird to swing with my left hand but after a few outings it worked out fine.
Now I just switch arms whenever I start feeling achey and I can go pretty much all day without any problems.

JEF said:

Hit right on the nail