Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here's one for you !

PaulMBurgess

I live in Roanoke county Va , they have a lot of large county parks, with unmaintained areas.Thought I asked if you could metal detect in their parks. Sent off a email to public information officer.They didn't know answer,they directed me to assistant to parks and rec. He wasn't in i directed the question to is aide. I was informed that there was no law or ruling that said that I couldn't use a metal detector. But here's the catch I'm not allowed to dig! Anybody see a round this one ? I can use metal detector but can't dig

Personally would like to see something on paper as it looks like to me you are getting the run-around....Sure as shootin would be surprised if indeed they had a rule as certainly a catch 22 kind of thing..Sort of like sure you can swim but don't get wet kind of thing...

Here in some park with permit you cant dig but you can surface mine meaning what is on the ground and what you might be able to do scratch the surface a little to remove item.

I looked up definition of word dig in dictionary and if you follow the letter of the law even scratching would be considered digging because you are removing the debris.Has anybody else ever run into this sort of problem?

Here in Boise we have a permit system. We are not allowed to use digging tools such as trowels.

We are allowed to use probes. I use a cheap long shaft phillips head screw driver I bought at Walmart. It no longer has a phillips head anymore.
You insert the probe at the pinpoint spot at an angle and push back the grass/sod in each direction until you have opened an area exposing the soil.
Then using the probe to loosen the soil, you then remove soil with your hand and place on a small towel or rag. I use a white cotton rag about 12" square.
I can get to coins pretty easy in the 6 inch range if the soil is damp and soft enough.
Then pour the soil back in and push the grass/sod back over the area and press it down firmly. I have never killed any grass this way and you really don't notice where the object was recovered from. Also no plug to come loose. It actually works pretty well.
I know it's still digging, but you could say, I'm not digging, I'm probing.

When detecting private yards, I still use this method except I do remove the soil with my small trowel.
[attachment 145920 probe.jpg]

Here's a little more on it got a email from the roanoke county assistant attorney office on subject and " Mr. Burgess I see no prohibition concerning use of a metal detector in the county parks.Let me know if you need further information." So guys what do you think? What more should info should I get from her? do you thing she supercedes what park and rec says?

I would go for it and carry the letter with me, if someone hassels you show them the letter. I would think the most they would do is make you stop untill the matter got cleared up further. I would also think the county attorney would know the county laws on county matters.

PaulMBurgess said:
I live in Roanoke county Va , they have a lot of large county parks, with unmaintained areas.Thought I asked if you could metal detect in their parks. Sent off a email to public information officer.They didn't know answer,they directed me to assistant to parks and rec. He wasn't in i directed the question to is aide. I was informed that there was no law or ruling that said that I couldn't use a metal detector. But here's the catch I'm not allowed to dig! Anybody see a round this one ? I can use metal detector but can't dig

Paul
Check your E-mail

If you are allowed to hunt, but not dig, you should make some little signs out of Popsicle sticks and index cards, that say "TREASURE BURIED HERE". Then use your detector to find a bunch of shallow targets that you are pretty sure are clad. Everywhere you detect a coin, place a sign. After a bunch of crazed treasure seekers have tore the park apart, they'll probably let you dig properly.

Nailbender is right, you have your permission in writing, however vague it may be. Use it to your advantage.

Take care, Dave

I agree with Dan O I have never dug in a park of any kind I use a long screw driver, pin point the object & do as Dan O said. I don't worry about any dirt that might come out as I am probing the coin out. Once your done you simply step on the spot & the grass covers up where you probed. You have created nothing other than a hole the same size as they do when they plug the lawn. I have pulled coins & rings out at 7 to 8" doing it this way and have never had a park employee say anything to me.

Latest up date it is ok to metal detect in county parks to look for you lost jewlery on the surface.But you can not remove or disturb anything of any kind i:e move rocks,plants,trees etc etc. you get the picture. And oh yeah they are under the impression that to metal detect one uses a SHOVEL to dig holes and that creates a hazard ! It kind of irked me when I saw that. As if any good ethical medal detectorist is going to use a dam shovel . I guess if i was a ground hog i could dig all holes i want got to love it !

10-4 on the varmints leaving holes...I refilled about a dozen squirrel excavations in a school yard last week.

I would simply print out the e-mail from the County Attorney & carry it...ignoring the latest "update". Chances are you're not going to be challenged anyway if you're working properly.

DR