Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Heres someting I found that works ...........

oldranger

I tried this when asking permission for :detecting:
private property ............ Now i just have to make time
to get busy and do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Instead of asking if the owner " would mind" if i
detect I say that id very much appreciate the chance
to detect ...... of course I explain how i dig with only
a small trowel or screwdriver etc etc . if you dont give them
the chance to say No by asking if they mind, they might say Yes
instead ... any negotations for finds are up to you but most
people just want to see what was there...........
Anyway just a suggestion you might try ..so far ive been doing ok
with it......
Now i gotta go cut the grass today so i can :detecting: tommorrow

HH

Ron

Rangers Lead The Way :usaflag::usaa:

Ron
You are absolutely right! Never lead into asking with a negative, would you mind or do you think it would be alright. You gotta start out on a positive note!

All they can do is say no and they might just say yes. I'll be glad when this weather front moves on so I can get back to detecting. It's just too cold in the water without the waders and where I want to detect is too deep for the waders. I'm not complaining about the rain, because we need it even tho we got over 13 inches in February. It doesn't take too long in my state for the water level to go down. I went detecting last Saturday at our church and only found trash and the mosquitoes were terrible. I got a bad case of cabin fever and went detecting in the rain Thursday night and found three lincoln pennies. One-1971 and 2-1973 pennies about 4-6 inches deep. I was surprised that coins in the ground over 40 years would be that depth. Good luck and HH.

I once thought of "Hi, I've been going around and FINDING lost stuff for people. I was wondering if you'd lost anything in your place you'd like me to find?It's a hobby to me.":

There was someone years ago who knew a Realtor, and the deal was that he would cut the grass if he was allowed to detect a vacant building. Of course he was very selective about which house he wanted to search. It ended up being a win-win situation for both of them.

I also found that after I knock on the door or ring the the door bell I would step back from the door and step down one step so that I was looking up at the home owner and they were looking down
at me to make them fill more at ease by looking down at me so I was not so intimidating to them ...

John-Edmonton said:
There was someone years ago who knew a Realtor, and the deal was that he would cut the grass if he was allowed to detect a vacant building. Of course he was very selective about which house he wanted to search. It ended up being a win-win situation for both of them.

I considered this myself, but didn't have the equipment or the trailer to get to the places I was interested in. There is an old house from the late 1800's that's run down and the man who intended to renovate the property died and his wife lives in a trailer next to the property. It's over grown with weeds and saplings and I believe it has some old coins and maybe a secret hiding place inside the old house. If I owned a small tractor and bush hog I could probably get to do quite a bit of detecting on some of these old houses. It was a beautiful place in it's day.
There's another old house about 20 miles from here that's well kept as far as the yards are concerned and I wrote them and asked them for permission, but never got a reply. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. HH.
I seem to have better luck most of the time if it's a person I'm not acquainted with with a post card or short letter.

From the land of the Bluenose.....indeed a good door opener. Myself always have an extra detector in the trunk and ask if they would care to join me...works too!