Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey Andy---Quattro vs Explorer 2

A

Anonymous

I've heard from a few dealers that the Quattro goes as deep as the Ex 2 and a couple said it even goes deeper. Whats your take?

As far as having the same guts . . . . . no, they do not have the same guts, altough they share the FBS circuitry, coil and shaft assembly. There are internal differences that make them two seperate detectors.
As far as the detection depth, let me say that I have done <span style="background-color:#ffff00;"><STRONG>EXTENSIVE</STRONG></span> testing comparing signals from various incarnations of the Quattro during the development program along with signals from other detectors including the Explorer II.
There were targets that the Explorer II hit - especially those that were deep in hit ground or trashy areas - that the Quattro was not as deep on. In areas where conditions were not as adverse, the Quattro approached the depth of the Explorer.
Keep in mind that:
<STRONG>1) </STRONG>The Quattro was designed to be an FBS detector that people could use without the perceived programming issues of the Explorer
<STRONG>2) </STRONG>There are options that seasoned Explorer XS / II users have found invaluable that are not on the Quattro
<STRONG>3) </STRONG>Internal differences do not allow the same sensitivity; i.e., '32', as that of the Explorer to be used on the Quattro.
The point of this rambling message is that based on a lot of testing side-by-side on targets that have been in the ground for a long time, the Quattro has excellent detection depth but it does <span style="background-color:#ffff00;"><STRONG>NOT</STRONG></span> exceed the detection depth or options of the Explorer II . . . . . and again, that was never Minelab's intent when they developed the Quattro.
Hope this helps . . .
Andy Sabisch </UL>

There is alot of difference in the Quattro and the Explorer or the Sovereign, it is similar to the Explorer than the Sovereign, but yet different. I feel it lock into the target better, but yet tone stays same pitched as the coin even going over any other metal after you are over the target. On mine I notice when switching over to pinpoint it goes real quiet and will only pick up surface targets unless you wait for 4 or 5 seconds for it to catch up. I see this when you switch back too to the hunt mode. i also see it loves to ID iron as a good coin, but switching over to relic mode or all metal which is done very easy and instant that uses ferrous tone iron will be now a low pitched while a good coin will stay high pitched. I think this is why it was designed that way to check it by just a quick push of the button.
Over all it will have a differnt learning curve over the Explorer or Sovereign and if you have used either one this one is differnt. First thing to get used to is the delay in pinpointing and when switching back to hunt unless my Quattro has a problem as it seems to have a delay when switch back and forth. I do find it will lock on faster and ID faster than the Explorer too, but the ID of a copper penny or quarter seems to be the same number 37 in my air test. The depth meter seems to be a bit more accurate too on the Quattro.
I do like the switching from coin to relic or all metal as it is easy and fast plus changing the disc patterns is so easy to do. I dont like to location of the pinpoint as I am left handed so itis hard to use my left hand to push the pinpoint, so I have to reach over with my right hand and switch to pinpoint. I am used to pushing the center button on the Explorer which now is the menu button, so I keep pushing menu when I want to pinpoint.
I also like it starts up faster than the Explorer too I feel when turned on and it dont chatter as much either even at max sensitivity.
Rick