Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey ART..

Buck

Ever hear of the town of Cottageville, SC? Just bought some open property there (45 acres) a few months back. Probably will build a house and barn there on top of the fill we get after digging a big pond.
BUCK

Cottageville is a rural community just outside of Walterboro, SC. Still relatively untouched by the massive growth which has taken the Low Country, Cottageville maintains its small town charm. A close knit community, locals catch up on daily happenings at the Main Street Diner and worship at one of the town's six churches. That's about 105 people per church so I'd make a reservation.

Only known "Local Lore" (and NO, I didn't make this up):

Supposedly, if you drive around the old cemetery three times, go in the middle and flash your lights three times, then get out of the car the people of the cemetery come out and you can hear them walking around, breaking tombstones, and even throwing things. Sounds like a fun time to be had by all. :thumbup:

Cottageville, SC is just east of the city Walterboro, SC and I-95 (that's THE major thoroughfare for New Yorkers heading for Florida and drugs heading to New York).

Cottageville is certainly a tiny town (more a village really) in Colleton County as is considered to be in the Walterboro metro area. The community is in the Eastern Standard time zone like the rest of SC and nearby NC. You new ZIP Code will be 29435. The elevation is a whopping 47 feet. Try not to get a nosebleed on any overpasses coming into the area off I-95.

Tomorrow's weather is a high of 79-80 degrees with a chance of a thunderstorm. The grass is all greening, most flowering trees have already done so. Spring flowers are all out, as are the mosquitoes...got LOTS of those!

You will be right in between the low hills, forests and swamps of the Midlands and the marsh areas of the Low Country. You'll be less than an hour from Fort Bragg, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC. It's about 79 miles to my house which is definitely under an hour the way I drive.

Cottageville is located in the East Peedee region of the SC Low Country and thus has lots of streams and lakes and rather larger than usual bream (that's a sort of freshwater sunfish). Fishing is a MAJOR pastime. I'd consider also taking up surf-fishing and shrimp net casting as new hobbies.

For you GPS guys, the latitude of Cottageville is 32.936N. The longitude is -80.481W.

The population, at the time of the 2000 census, was only 707 people, but that has now dropped to about 650. There are just over 200 families in Cottageville.

7% of the population claim to be of Irish Ancestry.
12% of th population claim to be of German Ancestry.
Over 75% percent claim to be of African Ancestry.

It takes most folks in Cottageville about 41 minutes to get to work. But Walterboro and any significant shopping or healthcare is only about 20 minutes away.

Only 7% of the Cottageville area residents claim to have any education beyond high school.

The median rent in Cottageville, at the time of the 2000 Census, was $338. Monthly homeowner costs, for people with mortgages, were $864. As the influence of the city spreads east, I'm sure these will assuredly go up.

Median household income in 2000 was $38,281.

Average income per capita in 2000 was $16,720.

Hope you have a good time there and that you like shopping at Piggly Wiggly! :)

Here's the Cottageville Baptist Church. I'd join THIS one so's I could metal detect it...

[attachment 20842 baptist_church.jpg]

n/t

n/t