Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey Don(Jersey)

Dave Z

Got another one for you.Was checking some blanks out last night and spotted this one.I don't want to say what I think it is,I want to see what you think first.Dang thing is spent,don't ask to see the front.Dave

Looked like part of the chain was left just below the c in cent.Was hoping it wasn't however.Wouldn't want my first chain cent to look like that.Dave

Even if I had thought Chain, I would not have wanted to say it, I have already seen one that the owner of and myself both believe it is one based on a few pecurliarities, but it is so worn it cannot be proved. Yes, if you find a Chain, please hope it is not in "NY Copper " condition! :)

The base of the neck on the front looks to high to be anything else.What other coppers could it be???Dave

If you have a gram scale weigh it, also compare the thickness with any other Large Cents you have and see if different, does it look thick or thin....

Its the same size as the vermont,just thinner.I would guess wear would do that.Did you check out the 3 center I BROKE today.Thing was sweet to.Just had that dang bend in it that was bothering me.I won't do that again.Dave

It looks like it spells Honey on the coin below the bee. Take a closer look. LOL I hope it is a chain. You never know.

Tom

If thin like the Vermont, then I would stand by it not being one, the early year large cents were very thick compared to 1796 and later. The Vermonts I have weigh as much or more than your R11, and they are way too thin to be compared to an early year large cent.

"The 1793 Large Chain Cent was the first coins struck by our US Mint for general circulation. About 36,103 coins were minted, and it is roughly estimated that only about 2,000 of these coins survived. There are only a few rare cases of these coins actually being in mint condition, and most are in poor to good condition."

they are worth 70-80K. Copper in ground for 200 years just takes a beating. too bad because some of us would retire on some of the LC's we've found. hopefully the next one you find will have some detail.
May your coil go over it before mine.... :)