Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey! I'm Livin Large!

mapper65

I took a long weekend and went detecting with my brother in law way out in the country. Actually nearly 6 hours from where I live. We hit some places that he had been to before and he did a little knocking on some doors. We were out in a very rural area pretty far from cell phone service and we saw an old farm house way out in a big field. He said "that would be a good pace to detect". Just as he said that I saw a farmer along his fence line spraying weeds. He backed up the car and asked the guy if we could detect the old house. The guy said "no problem".

We drove down to the house very excited because it just looked like a place that had ever been detected and it was old. We unpacked the car and about 10 steps away from the car within a minute my brother in law found a 1913 or 1916 wheat. I'd been down this road before where you find a wheat right out of the gate and think you're going to find some old stuff and nothing shows up. I tried not to get my hopes up but was still excited about this place. I went around to the side of the house and there was sort of a side yard with another door to the house. I headed right for the stoop and about a foot and a half out from the stoop I got a pretty strong 44. I was expecting that when I went into pinpoint mode I'd have a screaming signal and it would be some junk but it had a nice reasonable sound. I cut into the dirt about 4 inches and when I got down with my pinpointer the dirt started to fall apart and I instantly knew what I had. I rubbed it lightly a few times and could see the maiden head of a large cent!

I yelled over to my brother in law "Hey! I'm living large!". I was expecting to see him walk around the side of the house and all of the sudden the farmer comes around the corner. He rode down on his quad to check on us and I had no idea that he was over there. I had a lump in my throat because he heard me yell over to my brother in law and he wanted to see what I was talking about. He was really nice about it and I handed it to him hoping he wouldn't want to keep it but he looked at it for a few seconds and handed it back to me. Had I known he was around the other side of the house I probably would have waited until he left to show my brother in law.

It took me a little while to figure out the last digit because most of the coin is in really good shape except around the year. It ended up being a 1836! The year is fairly light but in the sunlight with a magnifier you can make out the year. Here's a picture before I cleaned it up. I pretty much just brushed off the dirt with a soapy toothbrush and left it like this. I was little afraid to use my brass coin brush on it. It's hard to believe that this has been about 3" underground all these years.

We spent probably over an hour at this site expecting to dean up and we did have a handful of coins but nothing extremely old like the large cent. My brother in law had a small handful of wheats and I eventually found a 1946 rosy. The ground was really trashy and even with the 6" Coiltek coil moving slow it was really hard to hear signals. I got lucky on the large cent and I owe it to my brother in law because he was the one that backed up and asked this guy if we could detect.

We went to a bunch of other places the day before and I found a 1949 rosy and a 1925 merc. The pendent after being cleaned up just turned out to be an old gold plated piece.

It was a good weekend!

Congrats on the LC! :clapping:

I love seeing 44 turn up on the display when I'm field hunting. Makes my heart go pitter-pat. :lol:

Congrats on your LC and wheats !!! I wish we had LC's down here but I don't know anyone that has ever found one. I did hear about someone finding one in a vacant lot about 20 miles from here but I didn't see it or know the person.

Wow! nice looking LC:thumbup: Those 40's always make my day a little brighter, congrats!

Very nice finds. Just goes to show you that you never know unless you ask. The worst they can say is no.

Thanks guys! That was my fastest old find ever. I doubt that we were even there 5 minutes when I found it. I think that we just scratched the surface on that place at least in the area right around the house. If I was my B in L I'd be headed back there today to check a few other areas. There has to be seated and standing there.

It's a good think that you stopped and asked. You just never know what you might find. Congrat's on the nice LC

Awesome finds Mapper! Congrats