Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey Racer 2 users. It's been a few years. What do y'all think now

MrDirtyHands

Hey guys. The Racer 2 has been out for quite a while. Just wondering who's still swingin
one and what you think about it. I've been looking at a Patriot, an F75 and a couple others
and wondering how that Racer 2 might compare. (Especially in my crappy Ga. red dirt)
It has some great features but there's much less info from actual users available compared
to the FTP units. I'd appreciate any response esp about depth & seperation etc...

Dan

I’ve used the r2 and f75 a lot..Both are my favorite machines,along with the at pro..I have a comfort zone,and those 3 machines are it...Thr Racer is faster and ID is better than f75 at depth..F75 is deeper,not a mile deeper but I can tell the difference in my soil noticeable...Both just great machines and you can’t go wrong with either...F75 has 3h so the nickels have a high tone...r2 can be set up to give nickel a high tone,or even more customizable with the tone breaks and pitch adjustment...Flip a coin,it’s gonna come down to features

MrDirtyHands said:
Hey guys. The Racer 2 has been out for quite a while. Just wondering who's still swingin
one and what you think about it.
I am, and I keep a 7" Concentric coil mounted but have the 5" DD on a spare lower rod for a quick-change if needed. I have assigned my Racer 2 w/7" as part of my Coin & Jewelry Hunting Detector Team as it proved its merits long ago.

MrDirtyHands said:
I've been looking at a Patriot, an F75 and a couple others
and wondering how that Racer 2 might compare. (Especially in my crappy Ga. red dirt)
I've never owned a Patriot/F70. One reason is I like to use a true Threshold-based All Metal mode on occasion and that model doesn't have it. I have owned about 3 F75 series models, but preferred the Teknetics T2 series. With both, however, I didn't like the TID which was often too jumpy compared with other models and they didn't lock-on as well to mid-depth and deeper targets.

When the Racer 2 was introduced I really liked the fact that I can 'save' my preferred settings in each mode, I preferred the Tone ID audio clarity and TID lock-on, the Back-Light was more adjustable and more useful [size=small](brighter)[/size] when I wanted it to be for the night hunting I do, and I prefer the search coil options. Additionally, using the 5" DD coils on these two devices, the Racer 2 provided me better in-the-field performance and unmasking in really challenging iron contaminated sites when doing side-by-side comparison.

I am out here in the west and spend the bulk of my detecting time hunting old railroad and gold mining era ghost towns, homesteads and many other places where I deal with a lot of highly mineralized ground. My detector selections have to handle it well, and the Racer 2 does.

MrDirtyHands said:
It has some great features but there's much less info from actual users available compared
to the FTP units. I'd appreciate any response esp about depth & seperation etc...

Dan
"Separation" is often confused with things like "Response Time" or "Recovery Time" and, in some comparisons, that works. The problem is, most of the time when people talk about 'Separation' they have only tested performance using a few closely places accepted, higher-conductive targets such as coins. What is required to have good 'separation' and find nearby partially-masked keepers is also factoring in the 'Handling' or 'Processing Time' when the detector/coil encounter a Discriminated or rejected target in the mix, or even an accepted target but one that is a lower-conductive target and the detector needs to process the different responses. Quite a few Quick-Response detectors can show off well, until they also need to handle nearby nails or other trash or targets and process the response.

The F75 and T2 run into challenges there which is why the Nokta CoRe and Relic are on my Relic Hunting Detector Team and the Racer 2, in my Coin Hunting Detector Team, can come close to their performance, and can handily take on most of the competition ... to include the FTP models.

Dollar-for-dollar, of all those you're considering, the Racer 2 is by far the better value and provides great performance, too.

Monte

Thanks Bigtom123 & Monty!

I've seen every test, depth and other wise, on the internet on the R2 and honestly haven't been that impressed
with the apparent depth of the machine. I LOVE the features but "depth" IS a concern. What are you guy's experiencing?

Thanks

Dan

MrDirtyHands said:
Thanks Bigtom123 & Monty!

I've seen every test, depth and other wise, on the internet on the R2 and honestly haven't been that impressed
with the apparent depth of the machine. I LOVE the features but "depth" IS a concern. What are you guy's experiencing?

Thanks

Dan

It depends on where you hunt and what you want to get but in moderate to heavy trash, I'd much rather have a detector that has superior separation qualities / superior at unmasking than a detector that really goes deep and can't "see" the good targets mixed in with the shallow modern rubbish. I don't want to name names but I can tell you that most of the people who metal detect around these parts use the same brand name detector and I'm amazed and what they leave behind. They have years of experience with their detectors so they sure know how to use them but I'm positive their machines just can't "see" properly in these high trash areas. Monte explains this in his last paragraph.

I found the R2 very poor on depth and it falsed badly on small iron in my mineralized soil.
There's better machines out there with iron bias filtering for these situations.

I think the racer 2 is a great machine, never falsed for me and depth was on par with the targets I was looking for.Maybe somone didn't know how to set it up? IDK, but Unmasking abilities would match anything I've used, and the visual ID is definatly way more accurate than the better machines out there.

Well I don't have a technical response like Bigtom123 or Monte, but I still love my Racer 2. I bought the Multi Kruzer thinking it was going to be a waterproof Racer 2 but that was not the case. I can only use the Kruzer in 3 tone mode because the 2 and 4 tone modes are way to chatty and it is my experience that the Racers 3 and 2 tone modes are deeper than the 3 tone Kruzer's at 89 gain anyway. I have switched back to the Racer 2 for everything except beach and pouring rain detecting. I love the Racer in 2 tone mode, It's just super deep for me, runs quiet and the sound it makes on deep targets is heaven to my ears. I have a Cors Hunter coil for it that is larger than stock, but I rarely use it since the stock coil is deep enough. I love the pin-pointer, never use the flashlight and also never use deep, beach or all metal modes. One tip i can tell you is that if you ever lose the rubber boot for the switch, replace it fast with a bit of Sugru. You don't want to be out in the dirt detecting without a boot for your switch.

Dr. Witty said:
Well I don't have a technical response like Bigtom123 or Monte, but I still love my Racer 2. I bought the Multi Kruzer thinking it was going to be a waterproof Racer 2 but that was not the case. I can only use the Kruzer in 3 tone mode because the 2 and 4 tone modes are way to chatty and it is my experience that the Racers 3 and 2 tone modes are deeper than the 3 tone Kruzer's at 89 gain anyway. I have switched back to the Racer 2 for everything except beach and pouring rain detecting. I love the Racer in 2 tone mode, It's just super deep for me, runs quiet and the sound it makes on deep targets is heaven to my ears. I have a Cors Hunter coil for it that is larger than stock, but I rarely use it since the stock coil is deep enough. I love the pin-pointer, never use the flashlight and also never use deep, beach or all metal modes. One tip i can tell you is that if you ever lose the rubber boot for the switch, replace it fast with a bit of Sugru. You don't want to be out in the dirt detecting without a boot for your switch.

Great write up, my thoughts too

I replied just two days ago, but that afternoon I was out doing some comparisons, then spent that evening and most of yesterday [size=small](since it snowed yesterday)[/size] doing some test comparisons indoors. I've been cleaning house, reorganizing my seminar tote and test samples, and also "cleaning house" when it comes to thinning out some of my detector outfit. Every detector I own and use are models I like and have enjoyed what they provide me now or in the past. But I have too many detectors considering my cruddy health and impaired mobility. I can't get out as often or for as long as I like, and I definitely can't take on some of the challenging site terrain I used to maneuver across. So it has been a really tough year for me, not just physically, but trying to wrestle with even the idea of letting some favorites go.

I can take any of the units I have and, knowing their strengths and weaknesses, demonstrate to anyone why each is such a very good detector and one they ought to consider. I've taken some of the Test Samples I use for any detector evaluation and, one-by-one, I have had to single out those that provided me the BETTER performance for different applications as I have been establishing a few units as dedicated Relic Hunting use and a few assigned for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting use. No such thing as a 'perfect' detector, and all of mine are very good units. I just had to trim them to the best of what I have for different challenges and let others go. Even newer models that I have used for less than an hour afield and are still pristine are being trimmed.

I parted with a nice Fisher F75 and extra coils just a few months ago, preferring my T2+ that I even ordered an extra coil for .... but it is going to be thinned out with a few others as I try to get things organized by the end of the year. I already trimmed my outfit down to 2 White's models, but one of those is also going to be let go. I've had 7 White's models this year, but only want to keep the 1 White's that best handles most of the tougher challenges I encounter, and that's dealing with dense iron in the ghost towns and similar places I like to Relic Hunt. I am keeping my two favorite Tesoro models because they do what their intended use is better and handier than the rest.

As I mentioned, I like to devote the bulk of my hunting to places that are terrible-bad-nasty iron contaminated challenges, and that means using a smaller-size coil and providing the best unmasking capability I can get. Unmatched for that task, by any make or model I have tried or others have tried, are the Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic with their smaller coils. There are two very simple tests I use that are based on actual in-the-field type encounters, and I challenge any other detector to match the performance I get from my CoRe or Relic. In low-to-modest iron debris, especially when the main annoyance is iron nails but a site more open, I like the mid-size 5X9½ DD coils on both the CoRe and Relic. I actually favor these coils to their stock 7X11 DD's for comfort and performance ... for me.

So, what about the Racer 2? I was impressed with the prototype Racer 2 and right up to the new Racer 2 I just acquired a couple of months ago. I have put it up against a friend's Equinox 800, and another friend and his EQ-600 in three different ghost town hunts. They used their stock 11" DD coils and one also has the 6" DD he likes for trashier sites. We compared responses we had on several targets we located before they were recovered and, overall, both the other guys and I were impressed with the Racer 2's audio response, sweep speed allowed [size=small](enough w/o being too fast)[/size], and depth of detection. I also compared it with other makes and models I own or have used and those others use. The Racer 2 is staying put in my Detector Outfit and keeps the 7" Concentric coil mounted for full-time/regular use. I have a 5" DD on a spare lower rod for a quick-change incase it is needed. In dense target applications I like to use 3-Tone mode, but otherwise prefer 2-Tone and sometimes Deep mode. I have compared the Racer 2 in Deep mode with the bP [size=small](Boost Process)[/size] on the F75 I had and also my T2+, and they didn't match the audio clarity and VDI response provided by my Racer 2.

MrDirtyHands said:

Dan
I enjoy a lot of the videos we see on the Internet, but I also know they might not use the settings or coils I use, and some of those 'reviewers' might have a bias towards a different brand or model that taints their results. There are so many variables that can hamper detector performance so I look at what I see, but I don't always rank it high until I give it a try myself. And in many cases, I have. I don't think you've seen ALL the available examples, and if you lived nearby I'd gladly get together with you and we could do some side-by-side comparisons. That would let YOU then know what these detectors can do.

I live in a more mineralized region, and most of the old town sites, homesteads and other places I search are in very iron mineralized ground so I need to be prepared to best handle those challenges. Also, in your initial post you asked: "I'd appreciate any response esp about depth & seperation etc..."

Okay, but remember, as 'dfmike' related below, you can have very good separation and unmasking potential, or you might get very good detection depth, but you are not going to get them both at the same time. You can't get deep targets well when you have shallower targets masking and interrupting. And separation is really not a 'depth' achievement but something that is handled at a shallower depth between two or more targets very closely oriented. Some detectors can do well at one task but a different make or model will excel at the other task. Some are more versatile. My FORS CoRe and then FORS Relic are the absolute best at the unmasking part, yet still can provide very functional depth-of-detection. The Racer 2 doesn't match the unmasking but comes very close and also holds its own on detection depth.

And like 'Bigtom123,' I also had the Multi-Kruzer and generally like it, but by far preferred the Racer 2 for more comfortable weight and balance, and I also prefer the audio tone response of the Racer 2. It provides all I need in adjustments and performance in a handy physical package.

Is it 'perfect' for all my needs? Not quite, and that's why I have a few other detectors which I also like. If I were limited to ONLY a Racer 2 and two search coils to use for a season could I do it? Yes, and without too much of a fuss.

Monte

Wow!!! Excellent info guys & I really appreciate it! Monte, (& others!) if you see this, I recently read you talking about the MX7. I talked to the guy
at Whites that actually sold you your unit. I KNOW this isn't the "Whites forum" but I've seen EVERY vid on the MX Sport/MX7 lately and
have been very impressed! Seems like every time I THINK I've settled on my next machine, I see another one that makes me say Hmmm!

I didn't have this problem decades ago. I'd request a catalogue from Whites, Fisher & Compass & picked which ever one I liked best. Always
a Whites! After 8 years or so being outta the game, (single dad!) BAM! This explosion of new toys to choose from! Racer 2?? Very impressive!
MX7/Sport Very impressive too! (Still like that Patriot/F70 too!)

I'm never this indecisive about running my business OR raising my daughter but hey, we're talking about metal detectors here! LOL ~ I DO think
I'm getting closer to saying THIS IS THE ONE! But not quite there yet. WHY is the ONE a big deal to me? Nope, no such thing as the perfect
machine but with my limited "swingin time" and will ONLY be relying on ONE unit... THAT'S why! So, who wants to chime in?? By the way, I luv you guys!
(In a manly way of course! LOL)

Dan

I don't own a Racer 2 but I do have a CoRe and an MX7 and one thing I can tell you is that they are like apples and oranges in use. Totally different machines with totally different responses.

I still think the racer 2 is a great machine.Their ability to unmask is what impresses me,the iron volume is another reason to own the racer 2.It is a learning curve to unmasking ability, sweeping 360 on an target gives you more insight on its masking ability.I wish they would would make a coil adapter to adapt kruzer/ anfibio coils to the old racers coil fitment, I understand going multi frequecny you might not be able to reverse the coils selection from racers to new multi freq machines but I don't see why you couldn't use a multi freq coil for the racers should an adapter be made ?