Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey Ralph..Can you post some pics of the production model T-2

Dan(NM)

I'd like to see the machine as it's being sold to the public. Also, is there a control or knob on the armrest?

Thanks.

Hi Dan,

This pic shows the production configuration with the added aluminum arm-rest and modified battery/speaker box at the rear, and the slight change in the coil design. The on/off volume control is located on the battery/speaker box on the left side as shown in the photo in above post.

Ralph

<center>[attachment 14660 i620107sq01.jpg]</center>

Ralph, I know a guy that refuses to use a microwave oven. I wondered why and he told me they turn his hands red. I asked how that was and he said no matter what they say that "uranium" leaks out.

Amazing!

Chucking rocks at the moon.

Ralph, assume I am hunting and know what the iron minerals are based on the T2 and it is very heavy. If I could adjust filters or something then I could compensate as I would know the ground is heavy minerals more so than with other techniques we can use. So my question is for coin hunting what does it do for the user to know if the ground is "heavy" light or neutral?

i.e. "What good is the information if you can't do anything about it" ?

But consider that information, not from the viewpoint of being able to adjust the filters (or not), but as information that allows you to know what to expect of the machine by the effects it might cause.

Suppose you are out hunting an unfamiliar area, so you take a look at the ground mineralization phase along with the Fe304 reading to get a good idea as to the type and strength of the ground. The stronger it is, you realize that you might not be able to run as much discrimination as you might in lesser mineralized areas. Ditto the gain level. In some extremes, you would even want to hunt in the all-metal mode in favor of discrimination mode and then do a little discrimination analyzing of the targets on a case by case basis if you're doing some "real serious" hunting. The ground might also be of sufficient strength to cause some shifting in the VDI readings. So while you might not be able to "do anything about it" from a tuning standpoint, you still have the ability to know what to expect as far as the ground effects.

There also seems to be a possibility that the Fe304 feature might assist in some level of added discrimination on rusty iron, beyond what just the audio or VDI is telling you. Mike Hillis and I have both noticed that when you get a "good" signal over some iron objects, you can look at the Fe304 bar graph and see an upward spike in the "magnetic susceptibility" reading. Mike noted this first when trying to deal with rusty bottlecaps, and I noticed it on some larger pieces of rusty iron as well. Still need to do some more experimenting to see how much help that feature might have to offer.

I think there are alot of untapped possibilities with this Fe304 feature. I'd like to see it on any updated versions of the DFX, along with many of the other suggestions posted over on the DFX forum. As you suggest, having the information would be even better, coupled with the capability of "doing something about it". ;)

Anyway, beyond the peripherals, the T-2 offers some very good basic performance that will challenge the best of them, with some advantages that I just haven't seen on other VDI units in terms of target acquisition speed. No "magic bullet" by any means, but another step in the right direction IMO.

Ralph

I thought it might be of some value in prospecting or nugget shooting was why I said when hunting for coins. I never found a purpose for DC phase on the DFX of practical value. It is a form of non-motion discrimination from what I could see. The phase of the soil can be measured and then the phase over a target and what you end up with is the VDI number as I recall.

The machine looks interesting and I would most likely jump on one if it had a smaller coil. I have never cared for the larger coils and have been thinking of a new machine for hunting trashy sites. As you indicate the engineers that designed it have great reputations one can take to the bank.

The DC Phase Angle on the DFX is very useful for a FURTHER analysis of the target signal once located in the motion mode. Deep Iron can sometimes take on a motion signal phase angle higher giving off positive visual ID as well as audio.

The Static DC Phase Angle confirms the Ferrous content of the target... deep iron will display in the minus numbers. This is also useful for determining low conductive jewelry v shards of aluminum-foil.

If the Ground his heavily mineralized, you should compensate by lowered gain to reduce reactivity and falsing.:yikes:

I think trash picking has always been one of my favorite types of hunting, and something that can be done on a very casual basis without the need of alot of high-dollar technology or equipment getting in the way. It's also something that will almost insure that you can return to the same sites over and over, and still pull coins out of the same place you have just been over by hunting via a slightly different approach. You also don't have to worry much about competition, as most detectorists avoid these kind of areas like the plague, or simply miss alot due to target masking.

What I look for in a good trash picker is a small coil in the 4 to 6 inch range, reasonably moderate gain/sensitivity levels, excellent discrimination circuits, and a super fast two-filter target response and target recovery speed. Doesn't hurt to use a very lightweight machine that can be swung either fast or slow. As odd as it may seem, "simplicity" is really the name of the game in a good trash picker....."knowing when too much is not enough"..... something that meets the mentioned requirements without all the bells and whistles and that lets you concentrate on what is in the ground instead of "riding the machine". A simple machine that is capable of a good 4-7 inch detection range on in-ground coins is really all that is required since "depth" is a secondary concern to target separation and prevention of the effects of masking. Think back to your first machine or two, especially the most simple ones you've ever owned, and you might recall how successful we were back in the days before we thought it was necessary to analyze everything to death, either in the specs or in their performance.

Along that line of thinking, I've found one little machine that fills that niche better than anything I've tried to date, and that is the little Tesoro Compadre. Too many tend to "poo-poo" the idea of using something so basic for any kind of serious hunting, but this one little machine fills the bill as well as anything ever offered IMO. Right now I have 3 of them, each weilding a different sized coil, but the newer version with the standard 5.75 inch coil has the best combination of retaining some respectable depth coverage while still having almost the degree of target separation as even the little 4 inch coil conversion. The 4 inch is still preferrable in the real EXTREME trash and close to metal obsticles, under playground equipment or sports bleechers, and sidewalk edges, but the 5.75 does great otherwise. And we're looking at all of $150 bucks on these little gems, well within most budgets relative to what we pay for some of our other machines.

You should try one out. I know of several who did, even though being initially skepticle, and ended up using them as one of their primary coin hunting detectors just based on the "lack of clutter". For their intended purpose, it's still one of the few machines that continues to impress me with how well it actually does in the trash. Handles iron very well also, as well as some and better than most, regardless of price level.

Not trying to push it. Just sharing my enthusiasm for one of the few on the market that always tends to provide more performance than expectations. ;)

Ralph

Ralph,

I'm in full agreement... the Compadre, especially the newest model with the new pancake Loop, operating at Tigershark Frequency of 12.5 kHz hits my finest gold chains where detectors costing up to $3900.00 won't see these fine gold targets.

Hi Greg,

I stopped counting a long time ago how many times I have gone out on a casual coinshooting hunt with a friend or two wagging along one of the little Compadres. The little 4 inch conversion seems to draw the most "snickers". ;) But I tell you what, those little machines in the right hands and under the right conditions will hunt circles around some of the "BIG GUNS". Finds count at the end of the day is always a joy when those guys head off into the sunset cussing their own machines. :lol:

Ralph

When I was testing the first prototype I took it to a pretty nice site for detecting. Not much trash, good dirt(for our area) and fairly deep coins and some rusty iron. The Fe graph would increase over the iron. It was easy to tell it was iron. The second prototype performed the same way. The released version is better.

In my apartment, I test right on the floor. Concrete with iron. Lets me see electrical electrical interference and iron together at the same time. Its easy to see the Fe graph charge up and how the coins and iron work together.

I was having a problem with steel bottle caps. They tend to read as dimes on the T2, sometimes higher. When I reported this, Dave told me they were working on it and had a 3b mode to try to help. I haven't gotten to really work the 3b mode yet to see what assistance it provides. That mode coupled with the Fe graph?

However, talking back and forth with Pineapple, who has been able to spend alot of time using the final T2 version, and has about 40 hours on it now, He has been able to really work the Fe graph against the bottle caps with good results. Pineapple will have a full report sometime late this month or next month per his website.

Modern trash is a pain. No getting around that. You either disc it out, notch it out, not hunt in it, or listen to it. Steel bottle caps have a trait that make them identifiable no matter where they hit conductive wise;iron content. The Fe graph can registar the iron content and it seems to work well.

I had a coil issue but after I resolved that, it has been a really nice experience and I like the machine.

There is alot to test on this machine. 6 audio disc modes plus all metal. You'd like the all metal. Sounds good in the ear with alot of threshold ajustability. "feels" good. So far, all we are getting into is the 3 and 4 tone (sampled) modes. Going to be a while getting all the info out there.

Are they shipping the final version now?? I just bought one from Mr Bill, it han't shipped yet, I wonder if it'll be the latest version.

Thanks Mike,

Keep it coming. The Fe304 feature, for those familiar with the DFX and XLT, seems to be offering up something similar to the iron "smear" of the Signagraph by spiking upward over iron, which it will not do over non-ferrous. Kind of like having a miniature magnetometer on board that reacts only to ferrous. Still some experimenting to do on this aspect, and would like to know if it also works on nails, tacks, and smaller iron.

Ralph

n/t