Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey ya'll check this out, new Midwest Refinery Policy, I like it!

Gulf Hunter

Effective Immediately!
For appreciation and to thank all our loyal present and future customers, the prices we pay you have increased!

Increases in payables on gold, silver and platinum!
That means more money for your gold, silver and platinum in 2009!
Midwest Refineries now pays:

95% of the pure gold contained in your order
90% of the pure sterling, photographic and coin silver contained in your order
90% of the pure platinum contained in your order
NO OTHER CHARGES OR FEES!

GH, The ONLy thing that bothers me about midwest is that one of my friends had a raw experience. He found a chain marked 14K and it read gold on his Fisher Edge. he sent it to them and they said it was not gold.

They have a POLICY not to send anything back. EVEN if you pay for shipping. I don't understand why they feel they have the RIGHT to keep YOUR property. If they are sending you a check, why can't they send back anything they say is not worth anyghing???

I know you have had wonderful luck with them. I hope that keeps up!!

You can even watch as they melt the gold/silver, and test the purity. They are in the jewelry district: NTR Metals 213-489-1508

Scuba, that is not true, in my experience. IF you ask them in your letter to return any items NOT gold or silver, they WILL return them, otherwise a photo is taken and the items are discarded. I ask for the items to be returned, even though it costs me a bit of returned freight. I have seen some items mismarked before that were junk, the stuff is out there.

I'm glad you let me in on these prices. 2 days ago I brought in over an oz of 14k bands and a .4 oz 18k band. One jeweler offered $150 for the lot and when I was walking out the door noticed she had palmed the 18k band. :ranting: A second place offered twice the amount but I knew I was being screwed there also. :ranting:

I was going to do a post asking if there were any reputable scrap gold buyers and what discount I should shoot for. Buyer/seller BEWARE !!!!!! :ranting:

Can you personally take scrap to Midwest or are they a mail in only place? Waterford is only about 30 minutes from my place so I could save on the shipping cost and hassle.

They mostly do wholesale, but he is a neighbor of a fellow hunter. He's interested in the metal detecting hobby in general. You could ask ahead of time, I guess.

Of course you can go there. I wish it was practicle for me to go there, I WOULD! Call ahead and see if they would settle you, while you waited. That would CERTAINLY be preferrable. Be sure to ask for separate assays, for each respective karat weight too, as I feel like you come out better on the assays separating it.

I live and hunt right by Waterford and they will NOT allow walkins. You do have to mail your items in. GH, I only know what my friend told me and I got it second hand so you might be right. I never have tried. I used to send all my items to Kitco.

Seller beware. The first two shipments to them were OK about 89% of the Gold was paid. The next shipment was bigger but what they were going to pay was a lot less then what we shipped. They said the shipment was 1/3rd less then we had sent them. We asked them to ship back what we sent them But we were told they do not do that.
We were paid 50% of what we sent And we found out we were not the only ones. They set the policy's. You can sell your gold on EBay and get from 90% to 95%.

I guess I could give name and address since Midwest gets a lot of publicity.. NTR Metals, 640 S Hill St, #860, Los Angeles, CA 90014
Phone: 213 489 1508 Mention that you are a metal detectorist.

Thanks nanwate, my experience has been somewhat negative using other refiners, but even Midwest has suprised me a time 'er 2, but I still think they are about the best deal going. May try yer swag on a batch though and see how they fare.

gh your right in that thay will send it back if you ask in the letter you FIRST send with your loot,but not AFTER thay send you the check you can't get it back so thay won't get any chains from me anymore and will be lucky to get anything from me again sorry i dont trust people that wont send it back after testing btw the chain weigh was over a tr. oz at 18 inchs where a silver chain was WAY below that weight and brass ect will turn color while in the water as you know ,this was a clean gold chain scatch tested

Deerman, I do not know what to say. They have accepted all of my finds and the ones returned, I had my doubts about anyway. Fact is, I have done a lot of looking and they are the most reputable I have found and will continue to use them for refining, until I find a better deal. Their weights are usually very close to mine too. The only thing I dislike is that the spot price on the day, is not always the highest price on that day, because they have to sell the lot to a buyer and it does not always work out to the highest closing price on the precious metal. I challenge you to find a better deal, but you'd better be sure. I suspect the chain was a really good fake, I've seen them.

I have only sold to them twice. Not very large amounts as I don't find anything like what some of you do. The first shipment was spot on. Their weight and price paid was exactly what I weighed and expected. Felt really good about that. The next shipment was pretty small, gold and silver, and I weighed everything with the same good, calibrated scale. The silver was spot on. The gold was only about one fifth of what I expected. Their explanation was because of some small stones. I also took that into account. There weren't that many stones and they were small. There were some stones in my first shipment as well, I might add. Anyway, since the shipment was less than a troy ounce, it wasn't assayed but even guesswork should be better than that, imo. I will give them the benefit of the doubt but I'll never feel good about it. And since my shipments are small and I have to pay for shipping and insurance, I feel I will just find somebody local and take what I can get from now on. They advertise no shipment too small but receiving a fifth of what I expected is just too much for me to want to do business with them again. But again, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and admit that possibly the mistake was mine even though I was very careful about weighing. For me though, just too much hassle to ship small amounts like I do.
Jerry

I''ve dealt with MWR twice . Each time it was a good experience. The news of a slightly higher payout is great. Will keep you posted if that changes. Mike