Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HH Pulse wire came undone. Where does it go?

tvr

HH pulse quit last week. Made a lot of noise then went silent. I opened it up and there is a yellow wire coming from the coil connector that is hanging loose. I looked for places that might look like it was connected and I am not seeing things that looked soldered that not longer are. Any help is much appreciated. I am cross posting this in the both the beach and technology forums. If I get an answer in one, no need to post in the other. Thanks!
HHPulseWire.jpg

Update: Sven and OBN helped me figure out it is a coil shield wire that goes to a ground point. It is now reconnected. Unfortunately, when I put batteries back in and turn it on, still nothing and the batteries heat up very quickly. Something else is wrong. :-(

TVP can you rego in GEOTECH1 with pics of the board? are you able to check MOSFET, TX signal on the GATE, and power supply -E and +E on board?
pleasure kt315

When I was working, I could borrow test equipment. Now that I am retired, I have an multi-meter and not much else for test equipment. I might go to geotech at some point. Thank you for the thoughts!

tvr, I suspect the MOSFET is shorted. Can you disconnect the coil? I sold my HHPI a while back and I don't recall if the coil is hard-wired. If you can disconnect the coil, see if the battery still gets warm.

Coil is on a connector. With coil disconnected, batteries installed and unit turned on, batteries are now cool as cucumbers. Other day when I ohmed out the coil (with a very cheap meter), I got about 12 ohms between the coil wires and nothing between either wire and shield (yellow). Now I get 12 ohms between shield and one side of the coil and about 0.1 ohm to the other. Dang. Wish I had the TDR from work. I'll take the connector apart and see if there is a short there.
Thanks!

Totally confused now. Coil cable has two conductors, a center conductor and a shield. I must have gotten a bad reading on the first go with the meter. The shield goes to two pins of the connector, one of the wires that goes to the coil feed thru on the board (white wire to board) and to the one that we think should go to ground (yellow on the headphone side of the connector).

Last edited: