Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hi everyone new to the xterra had some coil selection questions :usaf:

Adam(Va)

Picked up an Xterra 705 recently and am liking it so far. Reminds me alot of the Explorer but alot lighter, faster target response and more practical. Planned on using this for Civil War relic hunting in highly mineralized soil (Central Virginia) and wanted to get some opinions on coil selection. I've read the FAQFAQ sections and other posts on the forum but wanted to get some feedback from those who actually used the coils in this type of soil (not just theory) on which would be best. Buttons, bullets and buckles are what I am searching for (medium sized targets). The 10.5" 7.5khz and the 10.5" 18.75Khz seem to be the best selections but wasn't sure there was that much of a depth difference between the two in that type of Ground. Does the higher or lower frequency make a particular DD coil discriminate iron better? I have the stock coil and a 6" 18.75khz coil currently. Was also looking at the 5x10 elliptical coil but figured the 10.5" coils would give me more depth (always liked the depth from the stock coil on the Explorer). Also wanted to thank everyone for all the info from your previous posts. It has been very helpful getting me started.

Some might have seen this posted on another forum. Found this on my second outing. You can't deny results like this!:bouncy:

Cool finds Adam!!! Welcome to the X-Terra. I too only hunt for relics and I've found the 10.5DD 7.5kHz coil to be my fav. I tried the 18.75 and to be honest, did not like it as well. Targets seemed to be more "Iffy" with it and I did not get the depth as with the 7.5 kHz, Could be different in your neck of the woods if you have "hot" ground as I've heard that alot of VLF detectors seem to struggle in that kind of soil. I think the 7.5kHz was better in the iron also. Stay away from the 6x10 if you want decent depth. You wil get the same seperation with the 10.5

HH............MO

Welcome to the site! That seal is an awesome find! Congrats to you. Looking foward to more of your finds and posts, Beale.

Adam, keep it up and you will find out that the 70 will get down and get them. This is one I got at 11 inches and it had 2 square nails in the hole with it!! A nice Eagle coat button...............MO

I switch to 10.5 DD 7.5 over an year ago on my X-70. It only Coil I would use for Relic Hunting. The DD coil better handle all type soil. and better depth and ground coverage. I highly recommend that you hunt in All metal mode with only two tones, low all iron higher tone good targets. You get great depth and found relic even I highest Iron site that others brands miss. Try run sem as high as possable above 25 will go super deep. Chuck In Va.