Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hi..I'm new here.

SANDRAT

My wife and son gave me a Bounty Hunter Lone Star for Christmas. I have only tried it out once and it was just around the house here. Since our house is nearly brand new, all I was finding was just left over nails, staples and other junk from the building contractors. All the beeps and buzzes were a bit confusing to me and I need to find out more on what to know when this thing sounds off. I would like to trace out the gas line to the house...Will this thing do that?

It sure will.....Find your gas meter, then start listening for the same tone as you sweep the ground out to the mains (usually towards the roadway)...I have never owned a Lone Star, but from what I see in it's manual, it has a 5 segment target ID, but no depth meter...watch your target ID, and look for signals in the copper range, or in the 1 cent/Dime range...The detector will sound off with a High tone...I would personally search in the ALL METALS mode...remember that your detector must be in motion to detect a target, even in the ALL METALS mode, so just keep sweeping the coil over the ground and listen for the sound...If you keep getting the sound in a line, it is most likely your pipes....Feel free to ask any questions you might have, as I am sure there are other Lone Star users here who can give you better advice....

HH,

GoGoGopher

Also read your manual several times to become familliar with how the machine functions...After a while, the unit will become your underground vision, and be automagic to you...

HH,

GoGoGopher

Thanks a lot Gopher. I'll give it a try and see what it does. It is still a bit confusing but I may be smart enough to figure it out!:surprised:

By the way..I live in Alaska and I tried the "Detecting Club" thing...it is dead. At least when I e-mailed the name listed, it came back as no longer there. So...I may just have to dig into my stash of silver dimes and jar of "wheaties' and plant a few around the place to get some practice. Used to have a bunch of Ike Dollars, but...alas...no more. And to answer any questions...NO, none of the "wheaties" have VDB on the back.:usan:

I was a "Molder" in the US Navy...rode around on a big repair ship called the USS Hector...Want to see it? Just go to www.usshector.com and spend a few minutes looking her over. Me and the other guys are trying to put together a nice web site and contact as many other former Hector Shipmates as we can, so if any are on here playing with their detectors, hey, we've been looking for you. And as a Molder, I worked in a foundry on board, so I know all about shovels and digging, just hope my new detector lets me dig up some new old stuff.:usan:

Welcome to this site SANDRAT. My wife and kids bought me a bounty hunter for fathers day. I've used mine about 5 times and have been real fortunate to find at least $5.00 in change every time I go, not to mention other unwanted items. I'm just a beginner but would be happy to give you some pointers. First, get yourself an assortment of coins, rings,bottle caps and whatever you think might be in the areas you will be detecting. Pass your coil over these items and listen to the different tones you get, low tone, medium tone, and high tone. I use head phones that came with my lone star, they really help to block out those unwanted noises and will prolong your battery life. With practice you'll be able to get a better idea what I',m talking about.
As far as your gas line is concerned, set your lone star to all medal, sensitivity all the way up and just scan back and forth starting from the initial hook-up to your house.
Don't get in a hurry when detecting, take your time and be patient, this will help you to find allot more items. Ive seen people bouncing all over the beach and not really find much.Your out their to have some fun, so don,t take this hobby too serious.
Happy Hunting.
P.S One who never expects anything, never gets disappointed,just be glad when you do.

Thanks Triple S. I do have some silver dimes and a few silver quarters I salvaged from a previous job (worked at a convienience store and during hard times, people bring in their coin collections to buy gas and stuff), and I'm sure the wife won't notice if my wedding ring (gold) is not on my finger for a while...unless I can't find it again! The gas line may be a rubber hose with wire sheathing wound in/around it. At least I think that's what they use up here for underground pipes for gas.:usan:

If you can get a large piece of cardboad and some paper cups. Put different items beneath it with the cups holding up the cardboard. This will help get used to the unit and learn its sounds and settings. I rarely look at the face of my unit. I most often go from the sounds when I detect and item. This will give a practice tool till you get used to it and something to keep in practice when you can't hunt. Welcome aboard,

By cracky...I think I've got it! I put tire weight (lead) my wedding ring (gold) a new type penny, a nickle and a new dime and a new quarter out and messed around with the thing twirling knobs and listening to the buzzes and beeps.

I find my ring, the tire weight and the nickle give the same buzz, the new penny has its own beep and the dime and new quarter give a higher beep...

Then I put my wife's wedding ring and anniversary ring out...It picked up her wedding ring, but wouldn't pick up her anniversary ring AT ALL...Then I put out one loaded round of .45ACP ammo...picked it up all over the dials, the magazine of ammo was picked up a lot on the zinc end of the scale and an old hose clamp was picked up only on the "All Metals" and in the steel/foil area of the screen.

When I started to exclude stuff, it would reject the gold and the lead but would nail the zinc stuff easily??? Then it wouldn't pick up the dime and quarter, but would still get the new penny...OK

I guess every time you dig it is a wild hope and then a crash when you find another piece of crap....or a tire weight. Well, I melt them down and make bullets...No big loss then.:usan:

As stated earlier, when you start out, you want to keep your DISC/NOTCH knob fully counter-clockwise...This will allow you to pick up all metals...I read a little of the manual for the Lone Star, and was shocked to see the detector has no DISC mode...only ALL-Metal (which is essentially your DISC mode), NOTCH and AUTO NOTCH...NOTCH is completely different from DISC modes...Think of Discrimination like a shadow moving over a wall...As it moves, it takes out more and more of the wall, until eventually, the whole wall is covered (DISCRIMINATED). Now notch is like the chains on a football field...as the refs move the chains, only 10 yards of a 100 yard field are covered, and that small window can slide up and down the field to NOTCH out any given 10 yard segment...So as you turn your DISC?Notch up in a Discrimination mode, you first eliminate small iron nails and foil, then a screw driver, then a hammer, then nickels and small gold, then pull tabs and medium gold, then screw caps and large gold and lead, then zinc and small silver, then dimes and copper and medium silver. It is hard to knock out any coin larger than a quarter, even if you turn the DISC/NOTCH all the way clockwise....as you turn it up, all items lower than the current setting will NOT be detected....No Notch only takes out a section of the metallic spectrum, first iron is notched out, then nickels, and iron will again be seen as well as all above nickels, then pull tabs will be notched out, and every thing else will be seen, then screw caps will be notched out...etc....Remember gold shows in the same area as iron/foil, pull tabs, and screw caps, so you want to dig these signals too, unless you know your in a highly trashy area loaded with pull tabs and screw caps...
Auto-Notch automatically sets the machine up to hunt for coins only....it automatically eliminates iron and most pull tabs and screw caps...Remember I said most...some pull tabs and screw caps will still be detected depending on their size and shapes...

HH,

GoGoGopher - Formerly BH-LandStar

Thanks Gopher. My detector DOES have a "Disc" mode. Center button on the thing says DISC right on it. I played around with it again yesterday trying to find the lay of the Gas line...Man there are a LOT of "targets" around this house! I'm either on a treasure trove or a scrap pile. The thing likes to stay up in the "silver" area on the thing...I mean most of the hits are up in the far right area of the screen. A bunch are also in the iron/foil area too. Hard to determine which is which, but I'd be digging my whole place up to find out just what it all is. I may just have to do that!:usan:

Remember, you cannot usually turn your SENSitivity all the way up...it will cause the detector to give false readings...keep your SENS at about noon to start, then turn it up ONLY if you do not get falsing...It is a myth that more SENS gives greater depth....this only works to a point, then the coil becomes saturated and will give false signals...

HH,

GoGoGopher

Sandrat, Packrat here. Welcome to the hobby. Hope you'll be hunting for more than gas lines though. Use a Fortune Hunter (Lonestar twin) as a backup and it is a good detector. Have pulled wheat pennies at about 7 inches with it in good park soil. She isn't a power house but when you learn how she talks to you she can be very deadly on goodies. :detecting:

Thanks Gopher and Packrat. I know the thing works but the problem is me getting used to it. This is a new thing for me and I don't use it as much as a lot of you obviously do. I am just having trouble getting used to doing this, and that is something I can only do by myself. I do appreciate all the suggestions and I try them all out to see how it works. Thanks again to all who have given me help.:usan: