Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High 70s numbers.

Ronstar

I was at a park today and hit several 76-77-78 solid hits. Depth showed 5” so dug in but I was clear past 9” when the handheld finally started to buzz. I know to be leery of mid 90s and higher but what kind of metal would be constant at 76-78? I’m sure now its a larger item but could it be copper???? I’ve found pretty heavy gauge wire before but cant remember the numbers. Anybody with F series run into the same scenario?????

Larger thick rusty flat cast iron like busted stove or skillet pieces will do that. They sound good because they are thicker. Rotten sheet iron roofing will usually break up if you change swing direction. The best way to recognize if it is ferrous is to size it out in static pinpoint. I usually dig big Iron in my Relic sites. It gets the big shadow out of the way and it is usually something interesting that helps tell the site's story.

Yeah, just about any larger than coin size target we'll do that, show deeper than the reading and just the opposite is true for a smaller than coin size target, for example a .22 bullet will usually read three inches deeper than it actually is.

When the depth meter reads 7" and my pin pointer sees nothing at that depth I know I am in trouble. Most often its a piece of rusty iron and or a deep crushed can. 12" cans and fairly large pieces of rusty iron do have a smaller feel to them at that depth.

And mentioning mid 90's and upper readings, ever so often I get a pleasant surprise from a 94, 95 and 96 reading. Just last week a 95-96 turned out to be a sterling silver compact about coffee cup mouth size all of 9" deep in a old city park. It did have that sweet silver whisper, though. As we all know, you just never know. HH Jim tn

99% of the time anything showing 95 or above ends up being a good size chunk of iron or other heavy metal. I’ve not run into cast iron pans but did locate old cast iron stove legs and a stove door with the F5 and remember the high quarter/half dollar range.......
Been thinking about the silver compact scenario...... I will take a couple silver dollars out tomorrow and try doubling them up, slightly overlapping, etc and see what kind of numbers I get back. Will update .......Also, I usually get low 90s on aluminum cans smashed down vertically and learned to recognize that!!

Last edited:
Just since the 1st of this year I've dug 2 targets with mid 90's readings that were good. Besides the compact, also recovered a very hefty 925 silver mans ring with a $ sign on its crest. That target, however, was quite shallow. 3" at most. HH Jim tn