Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High mineralization and preset programs

Draco

I had already done the ground balance manually, but in order not to extend the video, I did not record it.
I test all programs without discrimination. See, how the volcanic earth acts as a filter on a quarter dollar coin (so that you have a better reference) and it goes from 90 VDI to 04/05 and it practically does not detect it.
Only In All metall mode and manual ground balance, you can detect it, even exceed depth.
I have put some photos of the quarter of a Dollar and a pot with 4 inches of soil as an example.

Attachments

• 9edfd4d9-7d58-4c7d-8377-07206ab3f485.jpg
    9edfd4d9-7d58-4c7d-8377-07206ab3f485.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 112
  • d87a9944-cf6e-42b1-a57b-3b3332ac1b82.jpg
    d87a9944-cf6e-42b1-a57b-3b3332ac1b82.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: tvr
More than a year ago there were a couple of interesting videos using volcanic sand that was black and how it completely stopped detection beyond 1 to 2 centimeters with some of the top brand detectors; no matter what settings were tried. The demonstration was how a pulse induction detector would detect at excellent depths where other technologies would not.

Good video with the Simplex!

If the All Metal mode woks fine, then it is 'findable, so the question then gets to the Discriminate mode and how it handles the ground mineral signal to process it out and get the good target signal. That addresses both the Ground Balance for the Disc. mode as well as Discrimination level.

One issue I noted was the use of a small pot of the sample material. The detector is reading and processing BOTH the ground signal an any target signal. When you are out searching, the search coil is being swept over the ground and is processing the ground signal during the sweep, but it isn't able to do that with the pot of sample material. Thus the sample, itself, is calling for extra processing in the Disc. mode making it difficult to also process and respond to the coin.

GB the detector as usual. If you know it also affects the Disc. mode that's good because you can adjust it close to peak performance for that mode. Also, use the least Disc. level you can tolerate. If the ground is being rejected and you increase the Disc. level you will drive the ground signal further negate making it more difficult to process a desired target. One form of good-target masking.

Monte

More than a year ago there were a couple of interesting videos using volcanic sand that was black and how it completely stopped detection beyond 1 to 2 centimeters with some of the top brand detectors; no matter what settings were tried. The demonstration was how a pulse induction detector would detect at excellent depths where other technologies would not.

Good video with the Simplex!
Thanks for your reply. Here on the island, no pulse detector works unless it has manual ground balance, like Eric Foster's GS5 (now TDI)
Others that I have tried, the audio begins to sound more than half a meter above the sand.
I suppose that some with more catualized technology could be better, but I have not tried them yet. :shrug:

Reactions: tvr
If the All Metal mode woks fine, then it is 'findable, so the question then gets to the Discriminate mode and how it handles the ground mineral signal to process it out and get the good target signal. That addresses both the Ground Balance for the Disc. mode as well as Discrimination level.

One issue I noted was the use of a small pot of the sample material. The detector is reading and processing BOTH the ground signal an any target signal. When you are out searching, the search coil is being swept over the ground and is processing the ground signal during the sweep, but it isn't able to do that with the pot of sample material. Thus the sample, itself, is calling for extra processing in the Disc. mode making it difficult to also process and respond to the coin.

GB the detector as usual. If you know it also affects the Disc. mode that's good because you can adjust it close to peak performance for that mode. Also, use the least Disc. level you can tolerate. If the ground is being rejected and you increase the Disc. level you will drive the ground signal further negate making it more difficult to process a desired target. One form of good-target masking.

Monte
Thank you Monte, your answers are like gold for me, for your great experience.
Yes, you are right, but I assure you that in the field that we have here, the difference compared to doing the test in the field or on the beach is not very different.
I will put up a few photos with sand from different places, with which I amuse myself at home, when a new detector arrives.
I have sand with low mineralization (sand from the Sahara desert) Sand with a large amount of iron microparticles (usual in the beaches of the south of the island) and black basalt sand (which I do not show, because I have a nearby beach to do tests)
I show you the amount of iron particles in a bottle of just over 2 gallons. You will see how the magnet sticks.

The photograph of the small container is the amount of iron that was in another 2 gallon bottle

Attachments

• 1afee43d-059b-4f68-b548-eb608e562894.jpg
    1afee43d-059b-4f68-b548-eb608e562894.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 9d7363c8-b80e-4b15-a79f-ddb1547a1791.jpg
    9d7363c8-b80e-4b15-a79f-ddb1547a1791.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 36f77bf0-a4d4-472d-8262-04fa0f68453d.jpg
    36f77bf0-a4d4-472d-8262-04fa0f68453d.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 109
  • a3f76667-ea1d-4861-ad31-98cfb7a4cfce.jpg
    a3f76667-ea1d-4861-ad31-98cfb7a4cfce.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 122
  • d7957ba7-fcc1-4b12-99c4-e2d7565b4e26.jpg
    d7957ba7-fcc1-4b12-99c4-e2d7565b4e26.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 111
I posted the video, following the "Today's Findings" forum thread where what I "find" is a Nokta Simplex, given to me by a friend I met helping him. And in order not to duplicate it, I moved it here. I'll put the link, in case you want to read it. He thought that with a more expensive detector, he could do better, without understanding that the problem was not the detector, but the ground ...
Obviously, these tests were done as a simple quick demonstration at home, since the weather was very bad to go out to the field.

Monte, I hope you're better

Monte, you were right. And while it's not perfect, it's better than the pot test.
Thanks

Today we buried a coin at 20 cm (8 'approx) and the Simplex gave an audible signal although not very clean with Park 1 mode and clear signal in all metal mode.
CTX 3030 with different configurations, did not give any signal ...

Last edited:
Monte, I hope you're better
Getting there. The pneumonia was bad but I am over it, and the ear infection is cleared up. I was in, or on the verge of, as Diabetic Coma since I was unconscious when they brought me to the hospital on the 8th of November and my blood sugar reading were in the upper 800's. I had to have two transfusions the day before Thanksgiving (here in the USA in November) because my blood readings were too low. I lost a lot of strength an mobility and am working to get it back. I've been here in the Rehabilitation Hospital since the 18th of last month, but I am gong to be released this Tuesday the 14th to go home.

I've been using a cane since March of '93 due to my terribly bad back and I hope to get back to getting around with a cane by springtime so I can get out detecting again. Right now I had to buy a wheelchair to help get around at my house, and otherwise have a walker to use for most of my maneuvering. I plan to do a lot of in-home movement, going room-to-room and such as much as I can to help build up strength in my legs and back again, then graduate back to my cane. In the meantime I can enjoy other's experiences here on the Forums.

'Thank You' for your interest and encouragement.

Monte

Today we buried a coin at 20 cm (8 'approx) and the Simplex gave an audible signal although not very clean with Park 1 mode and clear signal in all metal mode.
CTX 3030 with different configurations, did not give any signal ...
I am not overly surprised. I presume you manually GB'ed or used an Automated GB by pumping the coil. Field more should have had a bit better depth and responsiveness, but Park 2 is the main mode I use with a Simplex +. Also, I only reject the first Disc. segment in Field, Park 1 and Beach modes, accepting all others, then run the Iron Audio Volume to '1' in Field and Park 1. Beach mode doesn't allow that adjustment so accepted Iron range target have a full-volume response.

I hunted two locations with a friend who was very proficient with his FBS Explorer II w/11" DD coil, but beat his performance at the two sites using a modified White's IDX Pro with both 950 Concentric and 6½" Concentric. He was quite surprised. I just reminded him that "no detector is perfect". Which I why I have five or so detectors in my outfit to complement each other.

Monte

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. I hope that soon you can go out to detect and enjoy this great hobby.
Yes, I use manual ground balance and park 1 mode without discrimination. I already mentioned that the terrain gives readings of between 71 and 85 in a few meters.
The mineralization is very strong and changeable, but still, I was amazed at how well it works. It is the best VLF I have tried here. I also have several more detectors, since I have been staying with the ones that work "better" here. I also say that neither is perfect.
I also have an Eric Foster GS5, but in straight PI mode it can't be used and in discrimination mode it's not perfect, but it helps a lot.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. I hope that soon you can go out to detect and enjoy this great hobby.
Yes, I use manual ground balance and park 1 mode without discrimination. I already mentioned that the terrain gives readings of between 71 and 85 in a few meters.
The mineralization is very strong and changeable, but still, I was amazed at how well it works. It is the best VLF I have tried here.
Hey, I just caught a phone typo goof. I didn't proof reD and in my last post I said I mainly use Park 2. Wrong! I only use Park 1 and never use Park 2. I use Field, Beach and All Metal as well in that order after Park 1.

The Simpkex + is, by far, one of the better detectors on the market today regardless of price. And by 'better' I am referring to its features and performance.

Monte

The Simpkex + is, by far, one of the better detectors on the market today regardless of price. And by 'better' I am referring to its features and performance.
I totally agree

Hey, I just caught a phone typo goof. I didn't proof reD and in my last post I said I mainly use Park 2. Wrong! I only use Park 1 and never use Park 2. I use Field, Beach and All Metal as well in that order after Park 1.
I first use the all metal mode, manual ground balance and now knowing that the discrimination by sounds works relatively well in my terrain (at a certain depth) I use the park mode 1. I have perfectly trained ear and brain in all metal mode. with background tone.
The nails and irons give a double sound when in the sweeping direction. The hot rocks sound like a duck and the VDI dials 99.
It is curious, as this detector with the masking produced by the highly mineralized terrain that we have here, the aluminum foil type tobacco packs (in park 1) gives a bad signal broken and it sounds like iron. I do not use the notch in any way and the iron I raise it to the maximum.
Yesterday, a dubious signal in park mode 1, but "round" and strong in all metall, turned out to be a 1770 coin.