Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High Tone Nickels

Miser67

Are there any detectors out there that can be set up to give a high tone on nickels?

Fisher F75 will do that.

Ron in WV

Thanks Ron. The Fisher CZ3D will also. Any others?

Other than your CZ3D...... the Deus and CTX can be set up that way. Personally, I prefer a mid-high tone for nickels. Sometimes I want to dig them, sometimes I don't.

White's V3i and Makro Racer 2 can be set up to give a high tone on nickels. Also the Teknetics Omega 8500

My F70 will do it too, the engineers were geniuses that came up with this.
I always could find nickels easily but my volume went way up when I started using this one.
On my 3rd hunt with it, back when I didn't know what I was really doing yet, I was hunting in a very trashy picnic area and I heard a quick high tone.
I went back and moved the coil around the area and got a pretty jumpy signal because there was at least two other pieces of trash there but I kept hearing that high tone pop up too.
I dug a hole and this was in it.
Without that high tone and moving as fast as I was I am pretty sure I would have missed it.
6.2 grams of 14k white and yellow gold.

Revier, one heck of a nickel there. But there is a lot of nice gold that falls within the nickel range.

Nice ring,

Ron in WV

I believe its pretty common in several of the modern Fisher and Teknetics detectors, My Omega would do that, my the F70 does that, and I believe the later version of the F5 will. But for me I had NO desire for the Nickel trash zone hitting in the high tone range! I tried it and it wasn't something I'd want to repeat. I can sometimes crunch numbers in the Nickel zone and pick them out, but not in the High Tone zone.

Mark

I agree with what Mark said. The new Fishers can be set up to "high tone" on nickels, but when I have tried to use this feature I dig way too much trash. I believe the best detector for finding nickels with some degree of accuracy is a Fisher CZ. I have tried them all and all work well. Digging nickel signals wears me out. I usually start my day digging all of them, but quickly tire digging the associated trash.

MarkCZ said:
I believe its pretty common in several of the modern Fisher and Teknetics detectors, My Omega would do that, my the F70 does that, and I believe the later version of the F5 will. But for me I had NO desire for the Nickel trash zone hitting in the high tone range! I tried it and it wasn't something I'd want to repeat. I can sometimes crunch numbers in the Nickel zone and pick them out, but not in the High Tone zone.

Mark

I havn't had time to use my new F75 gold enough to evaluate the high nickel tone. I have used it for a couple hours in a real trashy sight, where good targets are few and far between. I mostly used it in 3H.

A question MarkCZ. You mentioned that "you can sometimes crunch numbers in the Nickel zone and pick them out, but not in the High Tone zone". My question is, are the numbers skewed when the nickel high tone is used on the F75? It seems to me, that it should just assign that high tone for audio on a nickel, but the ID numbers would still remain in the nickel zone, where they should be? Other machines I have used in which you can assign audio tones to different conductors, the ID #'s remain true, even though the standard tone is no longer used in that conduction range.

MI-AuAg Ask said:
A question MarkCZ. You mentioned that "you can sometimes crunch numbers in the Nickel zone and pick them out, but not in the High Tone zone". My question is, are the numbers skewed when the nickel high tone is used on the F75?

No! its not that, but when everything in the Nickel zone is also mixed in with the High Tone range (more in the audible mixing bowl) its makes the High tone range to cluttered when I'm hunting open public areas like parks and ball fields. If I'm clad stabbing and I want to grab the nickels I can crunch the numbers in the nickel range and do very well at getting the nickels. More often than not I'm hunting for silver so I find it better to just keep the nickels at the lower tone. Before I would try and toss the nickel tone into the high tone range I would probably just select the 2-tone option (Iron and everything else), run the discrimination up to a desired level for the area and just dig anything that gave a good response.

Mark

MarkCZ said:
MI-AuAg Ask said:
A question MarkCZ. You mentioned that "you can sometimes crunch numbers in the Nickel zone and pick them out, but not in the High Tone zone". My question is, are the numbers skewed when the nickel high tone is used on the F75?

No! its not that, but when everything in the Nickel zone is also mixed in with the High Tone range (more in the audible mixing bowl) its makes the High tone range to cluttered when I'm hunting open public areas like parks and ball fields. If I'm clad stabbing and I want to grab the nickels I can crunch the numbers in the nickel range and do very well at getting the nickels. More often than not I'm hunting for silver so I find it better to just keep the nickels at the lower tone. Before I would try and toss the nickel tone into the high tone range I would probably just select the 2-tone option (Iron and everything else), run the discrimination up to a desired level for the area and just dig anything that gave a good response.

Mark

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Interesting as I read the Omega 8000 and 8500 manuals that neither of them offered a setup for nickel high tones that I could find. That F70 is starting to get my attention.

Miser67 said:
Interesting as I read the Omega 8000 and 8500 manuals that neither of them offered a setup for nickel high tones that I could find. That F70 is starting to get my attention.

Well, your half right about the Omega. look at the below picture from the Omega manual at the d4 tones. Notice that the nickel has been moved out of the low tone altogether and placed into a medium tone even above the Zinc penny (the Zinc penny is now a low tone response), So in d4 tones the nickel has its very own tone!
Mark

Good info. Thanks Mark.