Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High tone on a VID of 03

detectordude

Confused.......I was hunting in a very populated Civil War winter camping area which happens to be very trashy. Sometimes, as expected, I would get a low tone on a VID of 02 thru 05. Other times I would get a high tone on the same VID numbers. After digging the high tones the result would be a square nail or some other iron material. ?????????????????
I was using Andys Hot Relic program from his new XP Deus book.

Any ideas?

Bill

The only thing I can think of is what I've read called "wrap around", but I see with that program there isn't anything set up in the tones for that....someone more experienced than myself is going to have to answer this. I'm very curious.

Could it just be that the LCD screen was lagging behind due to cold weather? I say this because I seen this happen to my Deus this past Sunday while it was in the low 40's with a strong wind. Yes I can be crazy at times:yikes:, the screen on mine definately was slow due to the cold. I noticed that if I had a high tone I had to slow my sweep over the target to get a solid number.

Jeff:

That was my initial thought also. I wondered if the OP was maybe not viewing the screen directly or if the numbers were lagging. I've seen mine do this when I'm not paying attention to the screen.

I know so many say to ignore the screen with the Deus, but I'd be digging a lot of junk if I did at this point.

Jeff in Pa said:
Could it just be that the LCD screen was lagging behind due to cold weather? I say this because I seen this happen to my Deus this past Sunday while it was in the low 40's with a strong wind. Yes I can be crazy at times:yikes:, the screen on mine definately was slow due to the cold. I noticed that if I had a high tone I had to slow my sweep over the target to get a solid number.

There are a couple of places where I've gotten a reading of 06 (with disc equal to either 6.8 or 10) and a high tone (using 4 tones). They are not simply lagging readings, and are repeatable when swung over. And for for clarification these aren't faint, deep signals either. Nor are they clearly huge objects based on either lifting the coil or pinpointing to determine size.

I too have wondered what that meant and was going to write the same question: should I be digging these? I've assumed it was wraparound but will try to dig one this weekend and report back.

Any other experiences?
Rich

A few points / questions . . . . . . .

By High tone are you saying that a TID of 02 to 05 was giving the tone assigned to the 4th window; i.e., 97 and higher or was it the tone assigned to the range from 35 to 96?

The program assigns the upper window the same tone as iron to address the iron wrap around so you can go more by tone than by TID values.

Another option to eliminate the wrap around from producing any audio is to apply a NOTCH using the EXPERT option to reject the 97 to 99 region.

The comment on the temperature causing a lag in the display and that being the cause of the TID / audio differences . . . not the answer. Having used the Deus last winter in some days where the temperatures were in the teens without including the wind chill, the LCD is not lagging causing the difference.

If you are using the HOT RELIC program, with IRON VOL at "0" and the DISC at "8", you should not be getting a low tone on any target producing consistent TID's of 02 to 05. Have you changed the settings or increased the IRON VOL to allow these TID's to come through? I see Rich has similar experiences so I would be interested in the specific settings used and what a few of the targets might be in order to come up with a way to address them

Post any additional details you might have and will see what we can come up with

Andy

I had a similar experience when I was running my coil in tracking and had the problem that Detectordude describes. I was getting a very nice high tone at anywhere from 00-03.
I contacted XP prime because I thought I had a faulty coil. The answer was ....using GB tracking mode with a ground reading somewhere below 85 would cause problems.
My soil ground reading runs in the range that Alain described in his answer to the phenomonen. Taking my GB out of tracking and going manual solved my problem.
I was running my detector at reactivity of 00 and the silencer at 1 if I remember right. It was outside the default parameters established by XP
I had more problems than the reading in the iron range, but maybe Detectordude observation is brought on by similar set of circumstances.

Isn't the high tone coming from the tip of the nail (what we call high falsing)? I experience this a lot and have always attributed it to "the nature of the beast". Is there a way to eliminate these falses from the tips of nails? Maybe I can learn something here. Thanks in advance!

Id this were the cause, it should only occur in one direction of the sweep . . . as the coil comes off the target. It is not clear from the initial question ifthe high tine + low TID was consistent or not.

If you have a good target in amongst iron, you will get a high tone + high TID at the point you pass over the good target.

A trick if you are in a site that is producing signals that are tricking you into digging them is to create a duplicate program adjacent to the one you are running with the REACTIVITY bumped up to enhance seperation. At 3+, you will easily be able to seperate signals and use the wiggle to confirm consistency but if you still get the high tone + low TID, 99% of the time it will be what you found it to be.

Let's see if we can get more specifics and develop a solution

Andy

Wow! what a nice round of responses and thank you. You are really going to push my memory since this was back in October.
First of all the temperature was running above 60 degrees so that was not an issue as Andy indicated.
I do remember geting some TID's in the 95, 96 range but that also came with a high tone and the target was usually iron of sometype. I did on occasion lower the upper range down to 95 to reduce those high tones.
I do remember that this place was very trashy and a lot of the high tones came from the edge of an iron tone signal. Sometimes the high tone was not repeatable as such but did come back on repeated sweeps. The person that I was with said that you needed to dig questionable signals because of the nature of the area. This area, by the way, was on the bluff overseeking Eastport, MIssissippt if any of you have hunted there. This was a very busy place during the Civil War.
The tone that I was getting was the high tone associated with the 35 to 96 range window. I did have the iron volume at 1 so that I could note the iron targets. I left the disc at 8. The high tone on the low TID numbers was not consistent I did also receive the low tones as well on the low TID numbers.
I used the Deus on the first day that we were there and lot of the iron tones came from what was told me was mostly from sardine cans. They were small pieces of flat metal that was remaining from the sardine cans. I remember now that most of the nails came on the second day while using my CTX 3030. The nails were a short high tone on the edge of some iron which on occasion did result in a good target.

Hope this helps. I know that I should have posted this earlier after I got home but kept forgetting it. If I remember more I will post it.

Bill

if tones dont repeat and are really high on VDI chart its a GREAT chance it is iron. A keen ear and lots of swing time will confirm this! :detecting:

Reporting back...

The only time I could replicate it this past weekend was when I was using a program @ 4 kHz WITH ZERO DISCRIMINATION. My bad. In my post above I said that the discrim was at 6.8 or 8. In this particular program I have zero discrim (and zero iron audio), and I could get a reading of 06 with a high/good tone. I did not dig it so cannot confirm what it was.

Rich