Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Higher value target tests F75

Ronstar

Ok. Took F75SE out to dirt patch by garden. Took two Silver Dollars, one modern bottle cap, one nasty rusted nail, and that infernal aluminum token to test. Items placed on a chunk of painted 2x6 and off I proceeded. Following are the results for me, here, at this time. GB was solid 68. I was in DE mode, sens 80, disc 10. SEF 12x10 Butterfly Coil over targets as constant to 8” as I could. Top of range 14” before getting too choppy.
Single dollar 91-92. Top of height 85-87
Two dollars stacked 96-97. Top of height 94
Two dollars side by side 90-91. Top height 89
Nail under dollar no response.
Nail beside dollar 91. Top height 90
Nail under stacked dollars no response
Nail beside stacked dollars 91. Top height 90-91
Bottle cap beside one dollar jumpy 82-84/74-76
Bottle cap under one dollar jumpy 88-89/72-74
Bottle cap beside two dollars 80-81
Bottle cap under two dollars 82-83
Alum’ token under one dollar 88-89
Alum’ token beside two stacked dollars 88-92
Individually token 92-93, bottle cap 61, nail 7-12.

Nail is good example of checking two directions but if one does not hear a peep then one flat misses the target. Using pinpoint on detector would show approx diameter of the object and in this case it showed a small target.
Now I have to go back and find all the 90s stuff I wrote off and recheck.........

Attachments

• 28EF350B-5D76-4DD6-944A-CC95B5C01991.jpeg
    28EF350B-5D76-4DD6-944A-CC95B5C01991.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 184
And to clarify positions....... all targets were on a flat plane. Beside was 9:00 position to dollar, under was 6:00 position to dollar.....

The majority of mid 90's numbers are just crap, but, the ones that aren't are typically the more hefty, denser, ones one is glad got investigated. HH Jim tn

If I'm hunting a really trashy area I skip the iffy numbers,just so many hours in a day but if I'm in a nice clean area that produces I'll take the time to dig the iffy numbers .

Hit a park again today and fourth kneel down scored a 1943 Canadian penny!! Rest of the hunt was really uneventful until I was just about 20’ from the truck. Hit an iffy 86 oneway but pretty solid 87 on the cross check, yup.... another one of those pesky JFK clad half dollars!

Attachments

• 3600CCD5-7D27-4F5C-A485-C3E1E66CDCD8.jpeg
    3600CCD5-7D27-4F5C-A485-C3E1E66CDCD8.jpeg
    953.8 KB · Views: 142
Reminds me of the time my brother (WV62) and I were out metal detecting and I found a JFK clad half and he found three wheat cents so he puts a post up asking forum members to judge who had the best day detecting. Final decision was it's a lot harder to find a JFK clad than three wheat cents.

I’ve been blessed with the luck of the Irish I think. I’ve found the 66 JFK April 6, the 79 JFK April 23, and then the 78 the 29th. Not complaining.......

Ok. Took F75SE out to dirt patch by garden. Took two Silver Dollars, one modern bottle cap, one nasty rusted nail, and that infernal aluminum token to test. Items placed on a chunk of painted 2x6 and off I proceeded. Following are the results for me, here, at this time. GB was solid 68. I was in DE mode, sens 80, disc 10. SEF 12x10 Butterfly Coil over targets as constant to 8” as I could. Top of range 14” before getting too choppy.
I figured the results with mixed associated metal objects would produce a 'blended' audio response. That's normal. What needs to be factored in is the orientation of the 'trash' objects to the 'good' target, along with the search coil sweep presentation.

And to clarify positions....... all targets were on a flat plane. Beside was 9:00 position to dollar, under was 6:00 position to dollar.....
This description makes a difference from what I read. To me, when you said 'below' I thought you meant directly below, as in 'under' the good target. Trash objects are not always positioned on the same plane and close-to or touching the edge of a good target, but they can be directly under a good target or directly over (as in 'on top' of) a good target.

If you are including an elongated ferrous object, such as an Iron Nail, it should be positioned close-to / by a good target in various orientation and not simply pointed toward or away from th good target. Also, place a Nail under a coin, on top of a coin, and thn remember to sweep the coil so that you approach and depart all of the sample positions from different angles of presentation.

Nail is good example of checking two directions but if one does not hear a peep then one flat misses the target. Using pinpoint on detector would show approx diameter of the object and in this case it showed a small target.
Now I have to go back and find all the 90s stuff I wrote off and recheck.........
Don't forget to try different search coils, too, because if yu are test-sampling coins with near-position and contact trash, a smaller-size coil will often work to your advantage. The 'standard 11" BiAxial or the 12X11 Super Fly are not going to perform all that well on ferrous / non-ferrous trash encounters. Additionally, using a Concentric coil tends to provide more consistent side-to-side sweep read-outs than with any Double-D which presents a different field from the left than it does from the right.

In the end reality sets in:

A very clean site with undesirable metal objects well-spaced from good targets can reslult in more consistent and desired VDI and audio Tone ID responses.

Any location that has any discarded or unwanted metal objects, be them ferrous or non-ferrous, can cause partial masking or total masking of commonly desired objects. The 'blended' audio and visual responses of the mixed metal alloy conductivities will usually result in a red-out that is totally different from the desired / intended target you encountered. Therefore, it's best to use a 'Beep-DIG!'' approach to target location and recovery in order not to miss a good target lost in a very cluttered / trashy environment. In short, listen to the audio and mostly ignore, or at least don't rely on, a VDI read-out.

Just some thoughts to consider when doing any 'test' to try and duplicate what you might encounter afield. And also remember that you don't always come across only one trash object near one coin, or on the same plane. More testing might provide more interesting results.

Monte

In my novice attempt to reproduce what I was experiencing in that park that day is what I was trying to convey. What a wonderful world it could be if all metals simply sank to the exact same level but we all know they dont. Just yesterday we pulled a 1905 Barber quarter out, but we also were recovering clad dimes deeper. No reasonable explanation. I was simply trying to point out that items upper 80s to lower 90s should not be ignored but also taken with a grain of salt.

In my novice attempt to reproduce what I was experiencing in that park that day is what I was trying to convey. What a wonderful world it could be if all metals simply sank to the exact same level but we all know they dont. Just yesterday we pulled a 1905 Barber quarter out, but we also were recovering clad dimes deeper. No reasonable explanation. I was simply trying to point out that items upper 80s to lower 90s should not be ignored but also taken with a grain of salt.
It would be nice if we didn't have so much blasted trash to deal with. Oh, there was some discarded junk to deal with in those earlier days of detecting in the latter '60s and through the '70s, and even into the early '80s it wasn't too terribly bad, but it was starting to get there. Today, so many places have a lot fewer good targets that haven't been re-supplied, and all along we se more and mod discarded conductive litter.

Coins, pull tabs, bottle caps, keys, tokens, jewelry, etc., don't really 'sink' in a natural environment. They can, however, be victims of vegetation deposition (grass, weeds, brush and so forth) as well as any sort of activity that could displace them, especially in a wet environment. Vehicle, human or animal traffic / activity and so forth. We also can't forget that man does things too, such as bring in fill dirt, till or groom and area.

I had a shop in Kaysville Utah back in late '81 thru '83 that was on main street across from the old stone City Hall, Police Department and Library. The grass out front was inviting and I could hunt wile watching my store-front, and no doubt I could maybe find some older coins in the deeper range of over 5" and down to 7" or 8". Well, I did find older coins as well as modern coins ... and very few Zinc Cents in '83 ☺ But I was really stumped for a while because I could get clad dimes, silver Roosevelt Dimes and Mercury Dimes throughout the entire range with over half of the silver coins shallower, from surface to about 4" or so. The same was true of a lot of early Wheat-back Cents and a few Buffalo Nickels.

Clad and modern Cents were often at the deeper depths over 4" and to 7" or so. An older fellow was walking by one day and asked how I was doing. In our discussion, he told me the city had completely tilled the entire front lawn area after skimming off the top sod, and then they planted grass seed. The grassy area looked really nice, but all the grooming that was done about 2-3 years before altered where I was likely to find coins from different eras.

You're correct, many VDI numbers are not going to register a proper VDI all the time, to be sure.

Monte

Last edited: