Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hilarious Most Interesting Man (Metal Detector Hobbyist) video

Its a interesting video but i am afraid it has nothing in common in the real world of detecting,that is how it is portrayed to use that we will all find riches by using that specific detector,bottom line a detector is just a lump of plastic and a few electronic components its the skill of the operator/detectorist that matters,a detector wont find anything by itself.But according to videos like this one it does or it allures us into believing it does.

Sorry i forget its called advertising :)

Phillip_in_NM said:
I think it was meant to be humorous, not an educational video.

I am not disputing that fact,what i guess i am saying and not aimed at just that one advert/product/brand name etc but the way that alot of these high end detecting adverts that you see all show massive big lumps of gold nuggets,treasure chests,and any other form of treasure that one can be a game changer to your life style,they dont show you say Bert,Alan or Phillip digging up what we most find say ring pulls or foil from a barren site.That is what i was getting at.

Yes it is all humorous but slightly distorted if you ask me,its all done so as to make us part with even more money until the next new model comes out,then it all happens again.Of course just my personal opinion.

I hope they got a waiver against copyright infringements from XX or the cost of the new entry level Minelab detectors just went up. :)

I'm curious where they plan to run this ad. The detectors are intended to sell into mass market retailers, competing head to head with Garrett and Biunty Hunter and the Chinese crap. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I guess I was paying too much attention to his POOR coil control to find any Humor in the commercial.

To me, it's a mediocre parody of whatever liquor it is that has the most interesting man in the world ads.

From a marketing standpoint it's a slick and effective commercial obviously aimed at people who don't detect. Probably more effective than the original ad it parodies since I can't remember the name of that liquor even though I've seen the commercial and print ads many times.

But I didn't find it particularly clever or humorous.

Then again, I'm not Minelab's intended demographic.

Wow! If I find another video I find humorous, I'll be sure to post it under the title, "Hilarious [size=x-large](IMHO)[/size] video"

minelab did an outstanding musical vid with their machines I saw a few years back...somebody find it and post that one up! Also, the "Heres to you Mr BudLight detector man" (IMHO I liked!)

I was like Geo...the extremely poor coil work and the fake beard distracted me! :rofl:
Mud

Phillip. Humor is in the mind of the listener. Some folks found Dave Letterman funny. I could not stand him or his attempts at humor. Some folks think Chris Rock is Funny. I vehemently disagree. I find him to be gross and vulgar and not the least bit funny.

So don't worry about those of use that don't see something as being humorous. We all have different tastes. If we all liked the same thing we all would be swinging the same brand and model detector. Then we could not argue over which detector is the best, deepest, ETC.

Thanks George for the spot-on observation.

The different viewpoints on almost any topic are actually what intrigued me when I first found this forum.

No offense meant, Phillip. We just have different opinions of what's hilarious. And I appreciate you posting the video.

I remember a Farmers Insurance commercial a while back that used their "what you don't know could hurt you" theme and showed a guy with a metal detector "finding" a gold necklace around the neck of a guy sleeping on the beach.

I got a chuckle out of that, but I remember a thread here where numerous folks were upset thinking the commercial reflected poorly on the hobby. The scenario was so over the top that I didn't take it that way, but others did.

George said it very well. What someone finds funny, just like what detectors we prefer, varies from person to person.

Yes...the "Most Interesting Man" title sort of chapped us diehard metal hunters, we all know thats a lie!..Ya ever try talking about detecting or finds at a party or get together?:rofl: To pick up chicks? Even your Wife? You soon find out you are NOT the "Most Interesting Man!":rofl: In fact, you are a boring as hell old penny picker and most likely gay or a golfer or stamp collector!

Now if you got tickets to a John Phillips Sousa Big Band concert, or a Dale Chihuly glass exhibit, and are talking to elderly women with long gray hair who resemble Emmie Lou Harris, then maybe you have a chance!...:rofl: Detectors are Not and never will be any kind of chick magnet, and will NOT make you the "Most Interesting Man" in any way, shape, or form in any public setting outside of this Forum!!!

Wanna be the "Most Interesting Man"?...loose the detector, dress up in your tails, tophat and spats and hit Dennys at a Red Hat Society breakfast, and talk about grandkids and cats!:lmfao:
..Or, go completely retro! Get a motorcycle! Or a Maori tribal tattoo on your old bald head!....those seem to work too!...:thumbup:
Mud

ps, Emmie Lou, call me....big fan for years!.....I like cats and grandkids within reason...your friend, 'Stamp Collector Mud"....:thumbup:.

Mud you're right about swinging a detector and crawling around on your knees isn't too appealing to the ladies, but you just never know. Anything is possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTjQhOFIII

tabman

I am no better looking than the average 68 year old guy, but when beach detecting, I seldom find a passing lady who doesn't want to know if I have found any "bling". I recall a couple of years ago at Virginia Beach that a very attractive and shapely young woman who was obviously from Central Europe kept asking me questions while I tried not to be too distracted by her minimal beach attire. Out of the corner of my eye I spot this 50’ish guy sprinting across the sand to "unhook" his lady from what was clearly (to him anyway) unwelcome attention!

I also recall detecting in the urban parks in Oslo, Norway in the 80's - there was almost no one in Norway detecting at that time. In summertime the parks were full of Norwegians sunbathing whenever the weather permitted. The fashion in those far off days was such that a lot of the younger ladies sunbathed topless. I got more or less used to it and the locals were clearly very used to it - as evidenced by the fact that amongst all this fetchingly posed feminity - I was the person everybody was looking at!!

Still doesn't make me the most interesting man in the world,, but I have had my moments!

Mr. Mayhem's more interesting , not quite as clever but more interesting :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT-ovtsvnV8