Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hindrance and help

Picketwire

What does everyone consider the greatest hindrance to your becoming better at detecting and what was your greatest help. I am not interested in answers like "not buying the latest greatest sooner". What I want to hear is what helped you get better with what you have had and what kept you from doing so. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Hitting the same spots over and over many times with the same machine forces the user to get creative with the settings while re using site knowledge gained from repeated hunts.. this works best for me at places that have a lot of debris that mask good targets..

Greatest hindrance was (is?) excessive cherry-picking. For example, only digging the signals that are likely to be silver coins.

Greatest help was being willing to dig anything that's more conductive than iron. That does result in more trash, but also more treasure.

-Ken

Greatest hindrance was (is?) excessive cherry-picking. For example, only digging the signals that are likely to be silver coins.

Greatest help was being willing to dig anything that's more conductive than iron. That does result in more trash, but also more treasure.

-Ken
Can't argue with that........the fundemental art of metal detecting.👍👍.This relates to what i was saying about not buying in to the"latest greatest"........just dig everthing above small annoying iron.....you don't need loads of programs to acieve this,just a simple machine with good performance and the willingness to put the work in as you said.

Last edited:
Hinderances:

1. Paying far too much attention to claims made about obsolescence and not enough attention to what actually works for me.
2. Run and gun.
3. Watching ID numbers and not really listening to tones.
4. Forgetting that metal detecting is supposed to be fun.

Helpful:

1. Slow and methodical.
2. Listening to what the metal detector is telling me.
3. Trash can be a good thing.
4. Having fun.
5. Being "friends" with my metal detector.

Hinderances:

1. Paying far too much attention to claims made about obsolescence and not enough attention to what actually works for me.
2. Run and gun.
3. Watching ID numbers and not really listening to tones.
4. Forgetting that metal detecting is supposed to be fun.

Helpful:

1. Slow and methodical.
2. Listening to what the metal detector is telling me.
3. Trash can be a good thing.
4. Having fun.
5. Being "friends" with my metal detector.
Another cracking post.👍

Hindrance: not sticking to a battleplan based on what I'm wanting to find. I'm fortunate to live in an area where you can hunt coin, jewelry, and relics in short distances but they all take a different mindset. e.g. I may not want to dig jewelry in 90 degree heat where i have to dig everything whereas coins may not be a problem. I also like to hunt only one thing at a time coin-relic-jewelry for the same reason. I also keep a BIG sack of every piece of trash we're likely to find because i can get a better idea of how they are like to look and sound over something good. Worst of all buying 30 metal detecters
thinking this will be the perfect one when you probably haven't learned the 1st one adequately.

Hindrance: not sticking to a battleplan based on what I'm wanting to find. I'm fortunate to live in an area where you can hunt coin, jewelry, and relics in short distances but they all take a different mindset. e.g. I may not want to dig jewelry in 90 degree heat where i have to dig everything whereas coins may not be a problem. I also like to hunt only one thing at a time coin-relic-jewelry for the same reason. I also keep a BIG sack of every piece of trash we're likely to find because i can get a better idea of how they are like to look and sound over something good. Worst of all buying 30 metal detecters
thinking this will be the perfect one when you probably haven't learned the 1st one adequately.
Eggzakly

Back when I started, didn't have a computer. Just my Uncle to get me started. The information just in this thread would have jumped my understanding of what I'm supposed to do by years. For someone just starting and is interested in beach hunting. Find a sandlot , scatter a couple bucks in change, tabs,( Jewerly in sandwich bags) ect. Than go in there and find everything you buried, maybe more.
Biggest hindrance Now and then I'll spot someone trying to hunt, while trying to light a smoke, checking his phone and using a machine he'll never understand. I've seen a couple of guys doing this while wading.

I guess my biggest hindrance was too much faith in VID. Not learning to size targets hurt too.

The biggest help was throwing objects on the ground and listening to how they reacted and what happens when they are close to other objects.

I guess my biggest hindrance was too much faith in VID. Not learning to size targets hurt too.

The biggest help was throwing objects on the ground and listening to how they reacted and what happens when they are close to other objects.
Your 2nd point is really well taken. A few guys have the courage to put their remote in their pocket and just dig good tones. Sometimes pays off.