Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

History being lost?

JMC

I find coins like this quite a bit. An almost completely corroded zinc US penny. Got to wonder if history is being lost to less expensive coins designed to fade away. The date on this one appeared to be 1988.

We have entered the age of biodegradable coinage:sad: I wish pull-tabs and can-slaw rotted away like our US pennies. Ha!

This is not an age I care remember, as far as Zinc pennies are concerned. The faster they rot away the better.

Texadillo said:
We have entered the age of biodegradable coinage:sad: I wish pull-tabs and can-slaw rotted away like our US pennies. Ha!
Lol :rofl:

I don't have any particular love for zincs, but in my opinion nearly all the coinage minted before the days of clad were all much more attractive as currency than the current options.
BB

Even worse than clad zinc coins is gold plated zinc jewelry. I especially hate that stuff. Corrodes and never looks nice, and is worthless.

I would hate to live in Canada Cuz all the coins are Iron now

kaolinwasher said:
I would hate to live in Canada Cuz all the coins are Iron now

Yeah but they have more dollar coins. It would be nice to be able to find more cash when out and about. I would love to see paper $1 go away and coin $1 take over. Every time they make $1 coins here people think they are getting something special and hord them.

Yes our coins are basically plated steel. Most detectors read our coins erratically or as trash. I hunt mostly with tones on my tesoros and listen for clean solid hits . 1$ and 2$ coins sound pretty good, rumor has it there's a 5$ coin comming. USA coins sound so nice wish ours did

I would take the zinc pennies over can slaw. That is the worst kind of trash in my opinion. That stuff is all over the map on the disc scale and it all sounds good. Mowers hit cans all the time around parks and now you have thousands of pieces of trash that sound good and are right in the gold and coin range.

Euro coins are looking terrible after only a few years in the soil.
I wish we still had our Guilders.
During WW2 coinage here were made from zinc as well. Most of them are completely rotten when you find them.
But sometimes, under the right conditions we can still find one in a good condition.
Like this one I found 6 weeks ago.