Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hits in upper right corner

AK in KY

I am new to detecting (10 months). I read alot of post where certain coins hit for example 3/28,4/27,1/29 and so on. My problem is using the smart find screen almost every coin I find hits in the top right corner. For example- silver quarter 0/31. Even pennys, wheats or memorial, also hit in the top right corner as do SMASHED ALUMINUM CANS. I just don't understand and was wondering is it time to sent the EX11 back to the shop for a checkup?

AK in KY

The right side of the screen is ferrous zone 0 then going towards the left side the next zone is 1 then 2, 3, 4,..........to 31. Conductivity starts at the bottom of the screen at 0 then 1, 2, 3.............31. The upper right corner would be 0/31 if the target has zero ferrous content and maximum conductive. A silver coin will hit at 0/31 and also at 0/31 or even 1/29 but other coins should not hit in that area. A penny hits in the 3/28 are as copper and silver are the best conductors. A penny and silver may be close but there should be a difference. A good test would be to see where a nickle hits as this should be down around 11/5. It looks as if the calibration is off or the coil has a problem. A smashed aluminum can will hit in the upper righ corner but has a much larger sound in pinpoint than a coin.

Try the nickle test and see what happens. It is working properly for a silver coin and a smashed can and a penny will be close to the upper right so another check is needed. A penny should not read 0/31 or 0/30 or even 1/29, anything in that area.

Cody - I did as you suggested and everything checked out OK. Thanks
One more question, my pinpoint does not seem to work properly. I'm used to the DFX and the EX11 is very quiet, too quiet to pinpoint with, and I'm wondering if I may have some setting off that may be causing this. Thanks Again

AK

IF you have used the VCO pinpoint of the DFX then you will not be pleased with the pinpoint of the Explorer in comparison. I am not sure why but the pinpoint for the Explorer is some sounds like a drunk bee trying to crunch through a dry cracker. This weak pinpoint can be increased by going kicking the Audio Gain up to 10 which is not what I like to do. A problem with pinpoint is that there is automatic shrinking of the target signal to help us pinpoint a target so we can end up making the poor signal worse by lifting the coil and pinpointing wrong. On ultra deep target if it is there in normal detecting then we may only hear a few put put sounds in pinpoint. This is the poorest feature of the Explorer in my opinion. There are times when I remove a little soil over the hit to get good pinpointing. I think most users will switch back and forth between the normal mode and pinpointing and to find the center of the hit and then dig the target.

The Owner's Manual is not clear when pinpointing is explained. When we X the target with a double D coil the first sweep to locate one leg of the X tells us the target is in the hot strip somewhere from the toe to heal of the coil. Since we have one leg of the X (/) we can now use a fixed part of the coil for the next sweep. I use the center of the coil where the shaft connects to the coil or just in front of that connecting point. With a fixed point to sweep the line of the first sweep we now have the center of the target. The Explorer is very hot as with the DFX so we need to be sure we are not trying to pinpoint a target such as a large piece of iron that is actually a foot or so from the spot where we hear a faint high tone. To avoid this problem we need to first locate a target in normal then go to pinpoint and be sure we are on the actual target. This is easy to do but new users can spend a lot of time going after what seem to be a ghost signal. A large piece of iron can be detected so far from the coil that when on the edge of detection looks like silver so will give a high tone at first and very faint so we chase this signal. I am sure you have seen something similar on the DFX although the VCO on that detector is the best I have seen for pinpointing.

and see where it pinpoints under your coil. The sweet spot in in the middle front of the coil near the minelab lable. There is also a sweet spot at the back of the coil too in the middle of the coil but almost all the way to the very back of the coil.

Check it out on a test coin.