Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hitting on coal

rseasy1

I was in a small city park and in one corner I kept getting low mixed signals all over the place so I dug one just to see what it was and turned out to be a
piece of coal ( not spent) about the size of a silver dollar I waved it over the coil and sure enough it hit on it and so did my pin pointer.
Also found a plastic easter egg with a $1.30 in it .

Is it coal, or coke? Coke has metals in it like nickel.

Typical parameters measured to define the chemical composition of petroleum coke are:
Weight % ash, weight % sulfur, weight % residual hydrocarbon, ppm nickel, and ppm vanadium.
http://www.epa.gov/hpv/pubs/summaries/ptrlcoke/c12563tp.pdf

Coal often has trace minerals in it. A while back I got a solid quarter reading (42) from a small slab of coal, upon splitting it open there was what I believe was a thin trace of silver in it. On another occasion while walking along the edge of a coal mining strip job I found many small pieces of silver pyrite (arsenopyrite) in among the leftover diggings. I have been told that many kinds of trace metals may be found in PA coal. Do know for a fact that often dumped trash-free coal ash can really get a detector chirping...

Thanks for the input just thought it was strange but I don't know the difference between coal or coke. I was just courios about it thanks for the info
I learn something new all the time.
Thanks and HH