Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Holed Coin

Tcpa15

Was visiting my daughter in Richmond VA, checking out her yard, and found many wheat pennies and clad coins. The best finds were an Indian Head and my first ever 2 cent piece. The 2 cent coin has a small hole in it that unfortunately has obscured the date, although I swear I see a "65" at the bottom right of the hole. I've heard some things about "holed" coins, but I've never found one and wonder what was the real purpose for the hole?

Attachments

• 2 cent and Indian head.jpeg
    2 cent and Indian head.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 87
Nice finds! Your daughters yard sounds like it deserves a thorough going over. Typically, and my belief, holed coins were put on a string so they wouldn't get lost. I've only found 5 or 6 over the years, but they were always older coins and some what unique. Like Spanish Reales and half dimes. Good luck on the yard. HH jim tn

Was visiting my daughter in Richmond VA, checking out her yard, and found many wheat pennies and clad coins. The best finds were an Indian Head and my first ever 2 cent piece. The 2 cent coin has a small hole in it that unfortunately has obscured the date, although I swear I see a "65" at the bottom right of the hole. I've heard some things about "holed" coins, but I've never found one and wonder what was the real purpose for the hole?
Nice finds the early dates on two cents are more common 1864 65 very common the later ones can be worth quite a bit.
Mark

Couple good finds, congrats on your first hole coin, and a two center to boot. Echoing laplander’s comments, who truly knows why, many reasons to have done such. Being hold does add a personal touch and character to the coin.

So in the ground….. has a hole…… been touched by a mole so I’ll just go ahead and say it…..
Holy Molely!!!! Nice find!