Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Holes in old military rifle cartridge.

Ronstar

Dug this today up on campus. We know there were military formations around a couple of cannons back turn of last century. Mostly we dig 45-60 cartridges and occasionally 45-70s. This is head stamped W.R.A. Co. 45-70.

What is odd is there are two small holes punched into the casing, not drilled, punched. A third one up towards the neck was started but appears to have been not successful. The holes only intrude on the one side and not clear through.

I know in some instances a hole is drilled through a cartridge or other ordinance to show it is inert, could this be an early way of doing this?

Attachments

• F440B504-A6D2-47E3-9124-6A9968F5C4CB.jpeg
    F440B504-A6D2-47E3-9124-6A9968F5C4CB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
Dug this today up on campus. We know there were military formations around a couple of cannons back turn of last century. Mostly we dig 45-60 cartridges and occasionally 45-70s. This is head stamped W.R.A. Co. 45-70.

What is odd is there are two small holes punched into the casing, not drilled, punched. A third one up towards the neck was started but appears to have been not successful. The holes only intrude on the one side and not clear through.

I know in some instances a hole is drilled through a cartridge or other ordinance to show it is inert, could this be an early way of doing this?
Interesting find. Never found one like that

Cool find, It's just my opinion but it looks like someone was trying to use a fired casing for some other purpose. If that was what happened to your sample it would be really hard to conclusively determine what it was for, the limits would be the imagination of the person doing the mod. I've seen modified empties used for some pretty unusual purposes, everything from improvised electrical connectors, gardening equipment, fishing stuff to paint sprayer fixes. What struck me were the fine evenly spaced lines that look like they were pressed or scratched into the indented part, it almost looks like it was rubbed with a threaded rod, I thought that the holes may have been an attempt to wire or tie the casing to something but depending on how compressed the case was I don't know if that would be possible. Just some thoughts...Happy Hunting.

I also think it's a shotgun blast. If you look closely at the holes, they look like they are made of something spherical because it has no sharp or torn edges. Something that would not happen with an awl, nail or drill. Although as Taxidea says, imagination is the limit.

Morning guys! Im sitting here with casing in hand looking at your suggestions……
I see the markings (evenly spaced lines) in the photo that Taxidea was referring to, there is nothing on the case so not sure how that appears in the photo. Boosting the loupe up to 30x I can see where the metal is punched, could be an awl or awl like object. The two completed holes are at slightly different angles on entry and the third attempt near the case mouth is at a much different angle.
Probably never know what the intent was unless I meet up with guy in the afterlife…… but thanks for the thoughts!!!

Could be from a kid with a BB gun practicing.

I remember hearing or reading once that sometimes spent cartridges were disabled to prevent them from being reloaded?! In Arizona they were usually smashed with rocks.

Most of these old cases are have flattened case mouths but we have pulled some in really good shape. I’ve eliminated BBs as hole too small, shotgun still a reasonable theory.

Are there any corresponding holes or dents on the backside? As if shotgun pellets went through one side and only dented the other? A thrown cartridge case is a pretty good shotgun target.

For a while, the army was making sure their brass was destroyed or rendered unusable because Indians were reloading them. Punching holes in them would do that.