Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Holy Compadre!

Idxpro

Ok, so I got out with the Compadre yesterday for a quick wood chip tot lot hunt. I hunt this place quite often since my son plays there a lot. I was there last week with the Outlaw. It's a pretty clean small totlot and not much of anything left since I have been there sooooo often. I found a quarter that rang nice and clear, but maybe a little softer. I knew it was pretty deep, whatever it was. I disc'd all the way up, and she still rang out. I thought ok, a quarter, maybe? But that deep would mean it has been here a while. I have been here way to often to have missed this just next to the slide with my Idx, Outlaw, and F2, right? A solid 8" down ontop of the fabric layer, lay a quarter! Granted, the ground was super saturated as it's been raining for 40 days and 40 nights here, but still, 8"?? I then get another hit identical to the first one about 8' away. Can it be another quarter? Sure was! And again, next to the fabric layer. Then another hit with a slightly smaller "footprint". This time a dime down 6"! I must say, i'm very impressed. This is a very small totlot, maybe 50'x50' at best. It's not an 1/8th of a mile from my home so you can imagine I've been there a gazzilion times. I'm so confused as to why my other machines didn't find these. Could it be the extreme moisture in the ground? Hmmm? One more outing like this and I'll tell you what, the F2, the Idx, and Outlaw may all get traded for a bunch of COmpadre's.......LOl

There's probably a realy whiz-bang totally scientific reason for your result, but basically, it doesn't matter because your outing just shows that practically no site is really ever "hunted out". Pounded into submission really hard maybe, but rarely ever really completely exhausted. And that's kinda the most important thought to keep in mind for all of us.

That 8" deep one might have been noticed by the F2 and the 10" or DD coil, should have been picked up by the Outlaw with every coil, in all metal floor sure but maybe in disc too, the direction you hit these targets from might have mattered a bit, or it could be you will never know.
It has gone both ways for me.
I hunt spots to death with other detectors and come back with the Compadre and find more, and then turn it around the other way.
I hunt lots of sites over and over, try different detectors and coils and always seem to find targets I missed no matter how well I think I have covered them.

REVIER said:
That 8" deep one might have been noticed by the F2 and the 10" or DD coil, should have been picked up by the Outlaw with every coil, in all metal floor sure but maybe in disc too, the direction you hit these targets from might have mattered a bit, or it could be you will never know.
It has gone both ways for me.
I hunt spots to death with other detectors and come back with the Compadre and find more, and then turn it around the other way.
I hunt lots of sites over and over, try different detectors and coils and always seem to find targets I missed no matter how well I think I have covered them.

Interesting. My most productive spot ever is giving up very little now days. I only used a vaq there. Do you think a different detector will open up new coins. I may have to purchase a compadre and try it.

if they ever upgrade the compadre to a full stutus machine that is put a ground balance on , with a threshold all metal and keep that 12khz and ED 180 its going to rule, but the compadre is different and very good thats amazing you found those deep coins other detectors missed , the compadre is not just hyp especially when you like it because I know you are telling the truth. excellent pst

hatpin said:
Interesting. My most productive spot ever is giving up very little now days. I only used a vaq there. Do you think a different detector will open up new coins. I may have to purchase a compadre and try it.

You got that right. You don't know how much you missed until you go back with a few different detectors. That's why I like going to spots others have claimed to be cleaned out and sometimes takes a low cost very basic machine to demonstrate that fact.

You'll find many times a not so deep machine can be used first at a spot to pick up all the shallow targets without being bugged or masked by deeper trash targets. Clean the shallow targets out, go back for the deepies with the so called better machine. The deeper machine won't have to deal with shallow targets interfering with deeper whisper signals. You can repeat this process at the same spot with some other different machines. You might be surprised at what you may have missed.

Tesoros are pretty good, you should find the bulk of the targets first time around deepending upon the model and how you set it up.

Funny, I was just telling a co-worker about this experience as I just brought this post up again. I think he is ordering one tonight...haha. The second quarter was found under that zipline type thing kids hang on to and zip across. This is one of those high probability spots I check ALL the time. This quarter was either just buried ( highly unlikely) or the other machines just didn't "see" it. I KNOW I check this 10' run every single time i'm there, and that's quite often. I can't wait to hit the honey hole ball field where I have found lots of colonial coins and relics. It was the very first field I ever hit and my first target was an Indian. This field just kept producing old coins like crazy. I hit that with every machine I had, from every angle, in every weather condition, and many,many, times. The only signals left are the sprinkler heads...LOL If the Compadre finds me ANYTHING old in that field, that will be mindblowing!!

I have to know where the initial discriminate level was. Somewhere in the iron level is the most productive as any iron elements in the soil are almost ignored with the Compadre. Also, I recall the field test by Monte where a penny only ONE inch deep could not be picked up by a Vaq and several other detectors because of the mineralized pebbles in a tot lot but the COMPADRE hit it!

hatpin said:

I hit my own private site over and over and over one summer that was a series of grass island dividers at a high school parking lot.
I took a ton out of here with my F2 and 8" coil, so many targets and high tone targets too that it was nuts and I am still convinced this was totally virgin ground.
When it got slow I went back and still using the same set up I slowed way down on my swing speed and it came back to life again.
Hit it from different angles and even more came out.
Went over it with my Vaq and the standard coil a few times and then again with the 10X12 DD coil more than once and even more came out each and every time.
Different angles even more again.
There were a lot of these things and a good amount of area, but not so much that I never felt after about a half dozen passes that I missed very much of this place at all.
I am confident that I covered every inch as well as humanly possible.
A friend of mine with an E-Trac hunted there a couple times with me too.
When it finally slowed down enough that I really thought I got most of it I came back with my then new to me Compadre.
I thought it would be a good test and hoped to get just a few more coins out of here if I could.
That day on my very first quick run through I found 2 silver necklaces and a small gold ring.
I was floored!
There were not in weird out of the way places, they were right in the middle of 3 different islands and I guarantee that these were spots I had gone over with some coil sometime in the past and more than once.
I moved away from there not long after, but I know for sure that if I went back there with anything I could still find more, and the only thing I didn't try was the F2 with the sniper coil so now I will always wonder.

Another site I hit an area about 10 feet back in the grass behind a basketball basket.
The F2 and a 10" coil, and my Compadre went over this spot one time each, and my F2 and the sniper coil at least one time too, all scanning this area from the same direction.
About the 4th or fifth time here I was using the F2 and the sniper, switched directions I came at this area by 45 degrees and got a real solid high tone and numbers in the 90's on my screen.
That happened to be the last large dollar coin the US ever made, a 1978 Eisenhower.
It was standing straight up vertical in the soil about 3" deep.
I probably could have found it with any of my other set ups but on this day, from this direction, it stood up and screamed at me when every other time it was hiding and quiet like my wife's lover in the closet.

These aren't the only examples of surprising results from switching coils, detectors or even just directions at sites I scour time and time again.
I have seen this happen many, many times.
You just never know which combination of detector and coil will work the most efficiently at sites...or if all of them will work well till you try...so I do.
I own 5 different detectors and 11 different coils between them...there is a reason.

Sven said:
You got that right. You don't know how much you missed until you go back with a few different detectors. That's why I like going to spots others have claimed to be cleaned out and sometimes takes a low cost very basic machine to demonstrate that fact.

goes4ever is really good at this, uses an E-Trac, hunts fields a lot and finds fantastic amount of great targets.
On a few of his sites that slowed way down, chock full of iron, too, he took a Compadre through these sites and he found a few more and seemed pleased.

slingshot said:
I have to know where the initial discriminate level was. Somewhere in the iron level is the most productive as any iron elements in the soil are almost ignored with the Compadre. Also, I recall the field test by Monte where a penny only ONE inch deep could not be picked up by a Vaq and several other detectors because of the mineralized pebbles in a tot lot but the COMPADRE hit it!

I was running just below nickel..

I'm very surprised the F2 couldn't see them. I have found many 8" dimes and some 9" dimes and quarters with my F2 (even some with 4" coil) in moist ground. I even found a copper penny that buried the handle of my Lesche. Do you have the 8" coil on your Comp? My Compadre with 5.75" coil never found a quarter past about 6-7" max. It was a great machine though!

8" or 9" on a dime with the F2 would never happen for me. Not with my 8" coil anyway. I did turn the sens up on the compadre to just where she starts to get nervous. I have the 8" coil version. Now I need the small coil version!

Idxpro said:
8" or 9" on a dime with the F2 would never happen for me. Not with my 8" coil anyway. I did turn the sens up on the compadre to just where she starts to get nervous. I have the 8" coil version. Now I need the small coil version!

Glad too see the compadre is workimg for you! I sure wish I could change coils ....

if your other machines are anything like my Etrac....you can't get anywhere near any large metal or the thing will go off?
It's a little better with the small 6" coil but I've given up getting close to any large metal with the Et. My GSII you can dam near bang that 8" coil right up against a metal post before it affects it (exaggerating somewhat but close anyways).

Drug the ol GSII out the other day and hunted for awhile....it was a pleasure!

Finally dug a silver today (1960 rosie) (Etrac)......broke the curse.

Glad you finally got out....enjoy your new Com.............

Good to see you here Oneguy! Who knows man, maybe I got a hot one? I have a merc buried at a precise 8" in the back yard for about 6 months now. freshly buried, the Outlaw,f2, nor the idx can hit it. I will try the Compadre tomorrow. Im still baffled at how good of a hit this thing gave on a quarter and dime that deep. I wish I had lifted the coil and tried determining the depth prior, but honestly i thought that it was just below the wood chips. Its crazy but me, thats what it sounded like. I will do some comparing of the C and the O on high conductive coins. I think the O has some depth issues on quarters and dimes. I think the C will win this contest. The Outlaw will however steel the gold ring off a chinese boys finger...lol

my deepest so far with the E has been a clad dime 8-9" and a merc at 7". I'm still a LONG way off from being proficient with the machine but the potential is definately there, just a matter of time. Haven't dug a nickel or gold in yrs. with the disc I use coinshootin with the GSII. Started digging only textbook PERFECT nickel signals with the E and 80% of the time it's a nickel. Also dug 2 gold rings now in last 2 weeks chasing those PERFECT nickel signals. That's been a big plus as I all but forgot about nickels, much less gold....

we are actually gonna see 60 degrees next week.....!!!!

Take care bud...............

I may have asked before but don't remember, where you from? I'm south of Boston and it has sucked here for some time. It's just finally diggable.

Idx you got to heir that old field ,

Idxpro said:
I may have asked before but don't remember, where you from? I'm south of Boston and it has sucked here for some time. It's just finally diggable.
Montana..... I've been able to hunt a few spots these past 2 weeks...frost got drove in deep this year early, then the snow came. It's good to get out finally........ Gonna head into town today and continue working a vacant lot I lined up last winter.........