Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Holy Grail 1916 D dime Found with CZ-3D !

bigolhorns

I'm in shock! Found last night with my Fisher CZ-3D in an old football field. I have not cleaned it, this is how it came out of the ground.
I found the dime at night and it went in my pouch, didn't know what I had until I got home. This is one of those sites that drive detectors crazy. Tons of rusty nails that like to give a good 2 way signal. I had the 5" coil on to try and get between the junk. There is about a 3" layer of top soil then packed gravel. The dime was about 6" down in the gravel. I cut a big plug in the dirt and then started trying to get the gravel out of the hole. I'm so lucky I didn't scratch it!!!! My Sunray Probe really helped by telling me exactly where the coin was in the hole. I rechecked the hole and got a strong iron reading, but I didn't dig it out to see what else was in the hole.

You hit the motherlode. That is a nice coin. Keep us posted on what you do with it. Congrats! R.L.

A big congratulations on your wonderful find! I'm no grading expert but it looks about Fine to me.

:thumbup:

Tom

let the experts do it. Have it professionally cleaned, slabbed, and graded. What a GREAT find!!!...CONGRATS! Those key date and rare coins are out there...we just have to be in the right place and the right time :)

Very nice find. A couple of completely non-intrusive cleaning tips you can do that I did on a 1903S barber I found this summer that was caked with dirt, was just soak it in distilled water for a few days, and rinse it with high pressure water under the faucet to remove the dirt. It did well as the dirt softened up from the water soak, and the balance I was able to remove by placing small pieces of scotch tape on the coin surface, removing it to lift the dirt so it doesn't scratch the surface of the coin.

pcgs. com shows these sales prices on coins probably in similar condition:

ANACS Fine-12. Ex - Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Inc.'s "Long Beach Signature Sale", May 31-June 2, 2001, Lot 8050, not illustrated, sold for $1,092.50

PCGS VG-10. Ex - Bowers & Merena Galleries' "The Lake Geneva Sale", June 28-29, 2001, Lot 294, not illustrated, sold for $747.50

WTG :fisher: :thumbup:

Great find !!! Found my first silver today a 1944D dime, I should have got a fisher from the start. Love this F2!!!::fisher:

I found one once with my detector in fornt of a church here in town - except it wasnt a - D. I nearly shat a brick!
I hope someone was home to help revive you after you fainted. Sweet find.

-- moved topic --

Don't touch leave the cleaning to the experts lest you devalue same, shop around if you plan to sell as it should buy you a nice detectors and yes a nice present for the missus..Congragulations on a nice find and have found several over the years but no D amd one had mint luster on it so one wonders what that one would have been worth...

Dan-Pa. said:
Don't touch leave the cleaning to the experts lest you devalue same, shop around if you plan to sell as it should buy you a nice detectors and yes a nice present for the missus..Congragulations on a nice find and have found several over the years but no D amd one had mint luster on it so one wonders what that one would have been worth...

I won't clean it. It's wrapped in cotton in a sealed bottle and for now that's where it will stay. I've hunted in this field for over 20 years with about every detector you can name. For some reason the 3D will find the stuff in this difficult site, so I don't think I'll buy another machine,maybe another 3D. I also found 14 wheat's, a 1947 dime and a 1952 dime the same night. I was out about 2 hours.

Gorgeous coin...congratulations. This is reminiscent of a find I turned up some years ago...the 21D Mercury...in gorgeous shape. I was told at that time to NOT sell it...but keep it. I did this and am always glad I did. Again...what a thrill...congratulations. Kirby

reminiscent of a 1921D Mercury I dug some years ago. I was advised to keep it by Arizona Al...I did and am glad I did. It is great to bring out sometimes and show friends. I'd keep it...and the value will keep going up! Congratulations!!