Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Home Made PI Detector 5

Smitty II

Greetings,

Maybe I can finish up with this installment. Since I reduced the gain in the receiver preamp It is obvious that I need to get the gain back up in the back part of the circuit. After the target signal and the second sample are gated through the gating IC they are amplified 330 times but the 1st differential integrator. To obtain the best common mode rejection there are 4 resistors that should have a 1% tolerance. They are marked with and asterisk. I actually used 5% resistor and they have worked fine for me but 1% would be the best choice. The TL072 is a dual Cmos Op-amp and the integrated output of the 1st differential integrator is capacitive coupled into the + input on the second half of this IC. The Cmos TL072 IC and capacitive coupling it allow for the ability to make a variable SAT (Self Adjusting Threshold). A great idea in Carl Morland's Hammerhead. This along with the lower preamp gain is what allow the detector to work well even when in reasonably bad ground. The - input gets a voltage input from the Threshold control. I also added a Gain control that allow the gain to be varied about 15 to 1. The total gain from the preamp to the output of the second integrator is 15 million at max gain and 1 million at the lowest gain. The integrated output of the 2nd Integrator feeds the audio through a Low Pass filter.This filter helps get rid of higher frequency noise but still let target signals pass through. I measured my normal sweep speed and calculated the time that it would take the coil to pass over a small target, then set the roll off of this filter to insure that I would not filter out the target. I kind of tested my design by insuring that the detector would double beep when I passed over a bobby pin length wise. In my mind the best value for the Low Pass capacitor is between 1 uf and 5 uf. I am using 5 uf and have had no trouble hearing small gold targets. The two diodes that are in series and in parallel with the 5 uf cap is to clamp the output of the last integrator and limit the highest frequency that the VCO audio will go to on large or shallow targets. This give the detector a very good audio response and generally a good sound. The output of the Low Pass filter drive a transistor current source into the timing circuit of a Cmos 555 timer to generate the VCO audio. This stage is pretty standard for VCO detectors. The second transistor in the circuit is hooked up as a diode and keeps the emitter of the current source at virtual ground and also provides temperature compensation.

The optional battery alarm is just an Op-amp hooked up as a comparator. When the battery voltage gets to a particular level the comparator switches and turns on the output transistor that dumps current into the middle of the filter driving it into the diode clamps and turning the audio full on until the power switch is turned off. Once the batteries are changed the detector will then function as normal. When the Set Pot is at one end it will switch the alarm on around 8 volts which is good for Nimh and alkaline batteries. when it is set to the other end it will switch about 11 volts and that is about right for a 4 cell 14.8V Lipo battery.

That is it, feel free to ask any questions and feel free to comment about any of it.

God Bless and HH.

Cyril

Greetings,

A few more comments about parts. All resistors are 1/4th watt except for the dampening resistor, it needs to be 1/2 watt. All ICs are as noted and must be Cmos except the NE555 in the power supply. It has to be a bipolar device. All electrolitic caps (the ones with the + at one end) should be 25V or greater.

God Bless and HH
Smitty II

Smitty,
Sounds like your really into modifying and building PI units! I got this crazy idea! But have no clue how to go about it??? I would like to add to my dual field three more options 1. adjustable SAT 2. ground balancing 3. an extra audio amp crazy or what? Does anyone think this could be done? Well I'm dreaming what about a different tone for iron? Just crazy thoughts I wanted to throw them out there!

Cyril, I think it was real good of you to take the time to post this series.

Thanks!
Bill

So your beast sounds like fun and would make a good project to build.
What's the chance you can get some PCB's made?
Maybe Silverdog could help in that area?
I just got some IGSL boards from him.

Sven,

I built mine using a proto PC board from Radio Shack. I have had several requests for PC boards. I have some software to lay one out but I have not played with it yet. I am sure it could be built smaller with a PC board. I will probably work on getting that done but I am not sure how soon I will be able to get to it.

God Bless!!

Smitty II

Greetings,

I think the Dual Field detector is a modern version of the older White Surfmaster PI. Not knowing what the circuit is now, it is hard to tell what would be necessary to add your modifications. Just guessing, the added audio amplification should probably the easiest. The variable SAT might not be too hard to add but adding a ground balance circuit would add a LOT of complexity to the detector and most likely it could not be done inside the same housing.

God Bless and HH!

Smitty II

Smitty,

Do you think you could help me with the modification of the audio amp and the adjustable SAT??? The ground balance would of been nice! To get rid of that chop in the threshold! Check this latest video out from Whites on their newest pulse unit the TDI-SL The smoothest threshold I heard on a pulse unit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVLRG58_Hys&feature=feedu

Greetings,

I have a suggestion for increasing your audio. I have attached a schematic and a picture of a little audio Amp that I built to use with my detectors that do not have a speaker. I use it when I am demonstrating them on the bench. It is powered off of a single 9V battery and you could maybe use one like it clamped to your pole to get louder volume. That way you would not have to go inside and mess with the existing circuit voiding the warranty.

This circuit can be built on a very small proto board about the size of a couple of postage stamps or less. If you are real brave you might be able to mount the little board inside somewhere and break the connection to your phone jack, connect the input of the amp to the wire coming from your board and the output of the amp to your phone jack. The + voltage would need to go to the plus side of your battery (after the switch so it will be off when the switch is off) and the ground (- voltage) would need to be connected to the minus side of your battery. There is some risk in doing this so I would suggest using the amp external. That is the safest approach.

The audio amp is designed for the audio tone range of metal detectors. It you want to listen to music the 100uf needs to be 250uf to 300uf.

Since I do not have a schematic of your detector, I would not attempt to try to tell your how to add a variable SAT to your machine.

I viewed the video of the new PI machine. VERY NICE! I am sure it is going to be a winner for White. It does have an extremely smooth threshold. It should be an excellent gold prospecting machine. I compared the sensitivity of his air tests to my air test. I got similar results with mine using an 8" coil instead of a 12" coil. On the other hand the White was at full gain and mine will get similar results with minimum gain. I am sure that the White machine will out perform my machine in extremely bad ground condition since it has VERY good ground balance capabilities and a super smooth threshold. My detector is NOT designed to truly be a gold prospecting detector. It is a general purpose PI detector with very good small gold detection ability. I use mine on the fresh and salt water beaches, in play areas around town, relic hunting and in the gold fields on rare occasions.

God Bless and HH!

Smitty II