Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Homemade coil cover

I like that. You can see through the cover. Pretty cool. You might also consider just using spray on bed liner. It's lighter than a coil cover and no dirt can get inside. Plan to do that to mine soon. Dropping 2 to 3.5oz by not using a coil cover really takes the wear and tear out of a long day. You can find threads on this in the beach forum.

Hello my name is kevin in ohio.I went to Lowes or you can proibly get it at Home Depot the name of this
product is Plasti Dip.You spray one coat and wait 45 mins.then spray another coat.Let it dry overnite
and your good to go.It is made to use on boats,wood,plastic,etc.and the really nice thing is you can
get it in white or black.It has like a rubber tecture to it and it wont crack and or not brittle.It has worked
good for me and it only cost around 5.00......:clapping:

I saw that stuff up there but most people are using spray on bed liner. It's said to be very durable and much lighter than a coil cover. Still, that stuff looks interesting. Do you know how much weight it adds? If it's not more than spray on liner then I may go that route because I think I saw it in red. I wanted to use red spray on bed liner on the bottom of my coils but couldn't find anything but black. I feel using something like red will allow you to see the wear and tear down the road when the black color of the coil starts showing through so you know when to re-apply it.

I guess you could paint the bottom of the coil white and then apply the bed liner to see when it is getting thin... I went to Wally World and bought a $7 can of spray bed-liner and was able to make 6 coil covers... Have enough left over to make some for my huntin buddy... Here are some pics of the process...

Before I sprayed this on my coil, I sprayed a big blotch on cardboard... Found a spot in the yard completely void of metal and cranked the sens to max and made sure there was no signal from this stuff in all metal mode...

Note how I used the chiminea to keep the coil flat to prevent runs...

HH Robert

Nice. Yea, I did the same test with Rustoleum Spray On Liner when I fixed my buddies Excalibur split coil. He wasn't using a coil cover or anything and the coil was starting to separate. First I filled those voids with Shoe Goo and then I put about 8 coats of the bed liner on it. Way more than needed but I wanted to make darn sure it would never leak. Like the stuff and will be doing my GT 10" and 15x12 coils to drop a bunch of weight. The coil cover for the SEF coil weighs 3.6 ounces. Without it the coil is lighter than the stock 10" with coil cover.

Wow that's quite a weight loss... Don't know how much the CZ coil covers weigh, but they sure feel lighter and I won't have to wory about cleaning covers anymore... I'm fairly sure it was your post that lead me in this direction... Thanks Critterhunter :thumbup: ...

HH Robert

More than welcome, and I learned this stuff in the beach forum from others. I'll be posting photos and steps when I do my coils.

I e-mailed Garrett's asking if I coated my coil covers with epoxy, bed liner or plastic, would it affect the warranty.

Brad Reed, tech support, recommended that I use marine epoxy and it would not affect my warranties on the coils.

Musketeer

Epoxy is heavy and I'm shooting for weight loss. Spray on liner is also much less hassle to use and won't crack or chip like epoxy can.

As long as you spray on a thin coat,then let it dry for about 8 hours then spray on the next coat the same way.After you let
it dry overnite you will be ready to go detecting,I would say it weigh's alot less than a coil cover would..

Tell me........! Has anyone on here ever lost a coil that a *coil cover* might have saved? Has anyone ever heard of a coil lost, that a cover would have saved? Me neither! My old Judge ll, was used for years on river bottoms, lakes, in parks, you name it, I almost always used the same coil, never had a problem. The material used by manufactures for coils is tuff stuff. In my opinion, you guys are really wasting time and money, beating this "coil cover" thing to death. 'Course, what do I know, I still believe torpedoes took out the BP platform. :confused:

Lost a coil with a coil cover on my 2500 - caulking gave way - opening a very small crack hidden by the coil cover - new coil solved the problem - now I remove my cover after each use and keep shoe goo handy just in case - Bob

My Step Dad lost a BigFoot coil due to wearing through the plastic on the bottom. I've never seen anyone wear through both the cover and the coil. Cheap insurance, Take the cover off and clean it every once in awhile, or seal the edge with sealant. If I can't swing an extra 3 oz. I need to take up knitting. :razz:

I'm with "Clad2hunt". What you'd might do is go down to Sears, and buy yourself a 10lb, concrete, barbell weight. Glue it to the bottom of your coil...! I guarantee it will protect your coil from scratches and dings. BUT be sure you change detecting hands often! Otherwise you'll start looking like a "Fiddler Crab" :rofl: Hey, seriously, I've been detecting long time now..... I have never lost a coil through bonging it, gee, I've never lost a coil period. My opinion, coil covers are a total waste of time and money.

I've gotta chime in and side with the "anti" scuffcover crowd. I also have scrubbed, scratched, banged (never abused) my coil for years now and haven't seen a need for it. If I ever actually "wear" it out from legitimate use I'll gladly buy a new coil. I use Tesoro by the way.