Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Horrible day coin shooting but did dig two jewelry items

Ronstar

Working around the university for awhile with jkline. Started the grassy strips by the sidewalk edges along one of the busier main roads, I found one dime for my efforts. I did manage to recover a chain bracelet tho! Back says STERLING so score but I noticed it looked like something on the front was missing (discolored outline). Pushed pinpointer back into the hole and she buzzed so dug out a bit more dirt and rechecked hole, quiet. Checked the dirt I pulled out and buzzing! Took me a minute to narrow it down but found the small missing piece, looks like it might have been a Marine’s Sweetheart Bracelet.

We moved on over to the old Arboretum on campus. It was originally planted in 1910 and has been home to numerous events. There is an old amphitheater there, numerous trails, plenty of different tree species, etc. It was home to a large rock music gathering named Blue Mountain Rock Festival which most ran from the 60s Free Love crowd well into the 70s with the more acoustic sounds. As I was working along one of the main pathways leading in towards the amphitheater I hit a slammer solid 90-91 on the F75. Checked it from four sides and rock solid. Could it be another 50 cent piece??? Although the top is grass and dirt it only goes down about 3-4” until hard packed clay. Depth says 3” so in I go. When I first saw it my first reaction was the back of a wrist watch. Carefully pried it out of the top half inch of clay and turned it over. I could see the face of a badly discolored clad quarter and with the loupe I could make out 1970. It had been mounted in a bright shiny silver pendant! No wonder it sounded off so clear and hard. I could not see any silver marking on it but was pretty caked up with clay too. Once home and cleaned there are no silver markings so maybe chrome. Started thinking I believe I remember a vendor at the festival selling these pendants as souvenirs (if correct then the ‘70 festival). I think its been in the ground for awhile because the patina on the surface has a greenish hue to it.
Oh yeah, several hours hunting and all I got was two dimes and a nickel.

Attachments

• 2E5A1AC4-287C-40DC-B106-F28D868C49DB.jpeg
    2E5A1AC4-287C-40DC-B106-F28D868C49DB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
  • CC350F7C-90C2-4CB0-BD39-8D5BBDEB7516.jpeg
    CC350F7C-90C2-4CB0-BD39-8D5BBDEB7516.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 112
  • FA6724DF-C1E0-4C10-813A-84579B806383.jpeg
    FA6724DF-C1E0-4C10-813A-84579B806383.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
I love the bracelet! I have hunted 4 + hours and sometimes only have a penny in my finds bag. So you had a good day!!

So to continue Ronstar's post, I went through my finds from yesterday... and found silver. WTF?

We were in an old part of the school. I got a nice signal on the ctx-- drats, a stainless steel grommet of some kind. Got the same signal two feet over... drats, another grommet, or so I thought. Cleaning the finds today, I had to do a triple take. What I assumed was a grommet or a jeans snap, was a freaking coin. I can't tell if my shovel made the groove or if it was already there-- bummer. It's the exact size of a dime. Now that it is out of the ground it rings up 12 45 baby.

Attachments

• 20210404_161448.jpg
    20210404_161448.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210404_161522.jpg
    20210404_161522.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 71
So to continue Ronstar's post, I went through my finds from yesterday... and found silver. WTF?

We were in an old part of the school. I got a nice signal on the ctx-- drats, a stainless steel grommet of some kind. Got the same signal two feet over... drats, another grommet, or so I thought. Cleaning the finds today, I had to do a triple take. What I assumed was a grommet or a jeans snap, was a freaking coin. I can't tell if my shovel made the groove or if it was already there-- bummer. It's the exact size of a dime. Now that it is out of the ground it rings up 12 45 baby.
Nice silver coin & an oldie, too! Ma

Jewelry shop called today. The pendant tested as 925!!! Pretty sure its homemade so thinking it is one of the Festival souvenirs from 1970. Shop asked me if I wanted the coin cleaned but I declined. Gonna let her soak in ketchup.......