Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hot Rock, Lobo St, Silver U & Amigo 2

TAB.HUNTER

I recently sent my Silver U in to Rusty for a check up. He said the Nevada soil may affect my clean sweep coil. I told him the soil was mild here. I still think it is where I was searching in the desert flats. I used the Lobo St & very recently, the Silver U. Since the Silver is my newest addition, I've been using it quite often. I was out with my neighbor & his Amigo 2. We were in an area where there were a lot of mines. My Silver was going beserko. His Amigo 2 was picking up a lot of faint signals. Since we didn't see a lot of iron around, we finally figured out it was the rocks. I scanned a piece with the discrimination set at "tab." It sounded like a coin. I turned it to full discrimination. There was no change in the sound. I could not discriminate this rock out. The area rendered my Silver useless. I was using the 5.75 coil. My neighbor scanned it with NO discrimination and could barely get a sound. I thought my Silver U was jacked up until we got about 100 yards from the area. Then everything was normal again. I took the rock home. BTW, that is quartz laced in with the iron. I was able to easily null out the rock with the black sand setting & discrimination set at 2 using the 5.75" coil. I could still pick up my gold tie tack at about 3". No wonder why those English Dudes like the Lobo. That is a speaker magnet stuck on the rock. I can understand there is a difference in circuitries with the detectors, but what I don't get is how the Lobo can discriminate out this hot rock (iron?) & still pick up an old horseshoe at 10", air testing??:confused:
It's back to school now. I've been detecting off & on for 43 years now. I thought I knew everything. I almost sold the Lobo because the Silver was so much fun. Now I see they both have their place. I have an Outlaw on order.

thats really intresting that the lobo can do that , you really got me intrested in the lobo ,

I'm just starting to "relearn" my Lobo. I can put a horseshoe or a silver coin next to the hot rock & I'll still get a good signal, but far less depth, using the 5.75 concentric coil. It doesn't seem to mask the coin like it would if I put the iron horseshoe next to the coin. Then, like any detector, it will read the largest object and mask the coin. Now I am not a genius but my guess is that the Lobo circuitry filters hot rock (or ground) and allows you to see the coin but at the cost; far less depth. Consider this: gold is found quite often with black sand, which is high iron content. The Lobo is designed for prospecting so that is why I think the circuitry is designed to ignore this rock & black sand as best possible. I only just started experimenting so this is not expert opinion. My guess is that you could probably come close to eliminating this rock with the Outlaw, or any manual ground balance machine. Monte, where are you???; need an opinion.:confused:
While writing this I decided to try the 8X9 concentric. I'm getting different results. I can't discriminate the hot rock out without loosing the coins. Since I haven't been taking notes or measurements, my tests at this point should be considered invalid. Don't run out and spend your hard earned money just yet! I just got the Outlaw today, about 1/2 hour ago. Without knowing how to ground balance or adjust it, I quickly swung some coins, hot rock & a horse shoe in front of the 8" coil and it seemed to have the same results as the Lobo. Remember, the Amigo 2 & Silver are preset for ideal ground conditions, where ever the hell that is.:rolleyes: That is why the Silver went beserk. A geologist looked at the rock and said there was a place around here called Iron Mountain. I may have been on it. Sounds like you do pretty good with the detectors you have so I would stick with them if I were you. If I remember correctly, you just got an Outlaw? My Silver does just fine about 100 yards from the mine. I'm thinking the Outlaw would even be better.
Any way, I sure do like your postings!

I just found out why I couldn't discriminate the hot rock out with the 8X9 coil on the Lobo. I made a mistake in my original post. I did have the discrimination set at 2, which knocks out most flat nails, but I forgot I had toggled to the "all metal", black sand setting. With this setup, it almost completely nulls the hot rock. I guess that's the auto ground track kicking in?? The Lobo is preset when it is in the discrimination mode. Sorry about misleading people. I should have taken notes.