Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hot rock puzzle mystery?

Out with the new AT Pro yesterday. I came home with a thumb-sized rock, which is only slightly magnetic, but lights up the pinpointer like a Christmas tree. I have simular looking rock, dug from my back yard. It is highly magnetic, but the pinpointer is silent on it. Both rocks read "00" on the detector, but I get a midrange tone from the highly magnetic one, and a low tone from the one that lights up the pinpointer. I was hunting in pro coin mode.
I can try to post a video, if that will help.
Can someone explain what's going on here?

I am stumped. Meteorites can be slightly magnetic and can have much nickel content. Clean it up some and see if it is pretty. Look for porosity or a pitted surface where it could have been molten.

As for the other target, bricks that are made from clay are baked and then cooled slowly. The result is all the little atoms get aligned with the earth

Sunny Jim said:
I am stumped. Meteorites can be slightly magnetic and can have much nickel content. Clean it up some and see if it is pretty. Look for porosity or a pitted surface where it could have been molten.

As for the other target, bricks that are made from clay are baked and then cooled slowly. The result is all the little atoms get aligned with the earth

What color is it ? If you're in gold country watch for platinum. During the Gold Rush days it was worthless and the miners threw it away. They used to use it to make lightning rods and dentures, along with a few other things.

Bill

The rock next to the Garrett pinpointer is the one in question - kind of nondescript looking brown rock, but the pinpointer loves it.
A lot of waste rock from the old mines is used for paving driveways, or building rock retaining walls. Most of it is a blue/grey color, and all of it is magnetic to some degree with the powerful new niobium magnets.
I tried to make a short video with my camera, and upload it, but that didn't work.
The rock in the center picture with the magnet (strongly) attached, is the hot rock the pinpointer ignores. The pic on the right is a small piece of quartz/gold for testing the detector(s).

Interesting post. I hope someone else can chime in with some more info. It could just be some iron ore which does not have enough metal content to be very magnetic or make the Propointer signal. Whenever I'm prospecting I use the THD (Garrett Tactical Handheld Device)older brother of Propointer. Propointer is 12 kHz, but THD is 95 kHz. THD will signal on flour gold(gold dust).
I don't use the AT Pro. I use the Infinium while in that part of the country as it handles the extreme mineralization very well and ignores hot rocks(and cold rocks). The Scorpion identifies hot rocks with it's TR Mode. You can also do an "Ore Test" with the Scorpion in TR Mode as well. I'm not familiar with the new AT Pro. Can you locate areas of black sand deposits with it?
If I were you, before I crushed it up I would give that rock a tumble to see if it has any visible gold streaks in it(highly unlikely, but worth checkin' out). If not, then I'd crush it up and pan it out, but it's probably just some iron ore.:shrug:
Uncle Willy is right on about that platinum. The old timers would toss it back ,cause it was worthless back then. Hint-hint:platinum has similar conductivity as iron.
Happy Hunting!:)

I used to find hot rocks all the time with my old VLF non motion detector in all metal mode. It was a real novelty at first but that soon wore off. Using a little bit of discrimination will ignore most of them. I live in Northern Wisconsin an it is a common thing here. I have not had the At Pro out yet so dont know how it will act in that regard.

Jerry

I guess why this is such a puzzle for me is that the Garrett Pro pinpointer normally ignores rock, even the highly magnetic rock (on the right, in the center picture) doesn't get a peep from the Pro pointer. Have any of you found rocks like this by using the pinpointer, even though your detector ignored them?
My neighbor and I will break it open on New Years eve; I found it on his property. I will post more on what we find, or don't find.

Take a look at this post: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1165783,1166574#msg-1166574
This rock is completely invisible to my Pro Pointer.

Well, I broke the rock in question in half. I crushed one half, put it in a plastic bag, and it still rings the Pro Pointer, but none of the individual pieces will register. I emailed an assay office in Reno re price, but got no response. Whatever it is, it does not appear to be valuable, just puzzling.